main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Obi-wan's planet of origin...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Jedi Girl of Corellia, Jun 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    I've heard rumors that Obi is from Tatooine, but I don't see any reason to think that. Do you think that Obi-wan even knows where he's from? Do you think he even cares? The only time I've seen a Jedi really mention their home planets like they care is if they are Corellian.

Why I want to know this is the fic I've been working on for the past...uh... two years (I keep rewriting it) mentions Obi-wan's family. Since it is mentioned in one of the JA's I'm having a kid named Owen be his brother, there's two Bails and Antillies, there can be two Owens ;) But I was just going to create a planet that he's from.

2. Moogle

Moogle Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2002
    The official site's profile of Obi-Wan Kenobi doesn't list a homeworld, which is something that it does for characters whose homeworlds are known - Anakin Skywalker has Tatooine, Leia has Alderaan, etc.

So I guess that means his homeworld is unknown. Go with whatever you want.

Hope that helps!

-Moogle
    Rhymes with "Google"

3. Loka Hask

Loka Hask Jedi Master star 3

Jul 12, 1999
    Well, I heard somewhere that Obi-wan's father was named Ben, that's why he changed his own name to that... but then again, that's only rumour.

4. Jedi-Roxy

Jedi-Roxy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    I read somewhere (BEFORE seeing Episode 2) that Obi-Wan was Owen Lars's cousin, but he was born on Naboo.

5. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    No, Obi-Wan's homeworld is unknown. He lived on Tatooine for 20 years, but it's not his homeworld. And yes, in the ROTJ script is written that Obi-Wan is Owen's brother, but Lucas decided to drop that. Instead he made Owen Anakin's step brother.

Anyway, after watching AOTC, I've gained the impression that Obi-Wan is from Corellia. Why? Well, look at the sarcasm and humor. Definitely Corellian. ;) :p

6. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    I agree with you there, Mar. He's even worse in the book. ;)

7. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I read somewhere that Obi-Wan was from a planet called Melina/Daan, but I don't know if the author just made that up...

8. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I don't think there's official info on this.

9. Alybrylla

Alybrylla Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    The Melida/Daan reference is from when Obi-Wan left the Order to help out with a revolution there.

(This isn't really important to the thread anymore, but Obi-Wan couldn't be from Tatooine, because it's out of Republic jurisdiction and he wouldn't have been identified to become a Jedi, just like Anakin wasn't. So... yeah. I'm done now)

10. Jagged_Antilles_Fel

Jagged_Antilles_Fel Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2002
    Obi-Wan doesn't even know it.Though his brother is Owen, it's not Owen Lars, it's a different one.

11. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    that could be debated... In the ROTJ novelization, Obi-Wan tells Luke "I left you with my brother, Owen." Unless Luke was with another Owen before staying with Owen Lars, then Owen Lars would be Obi's brother.

12. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    No, no. In the original ROTJ script (and the novelization), Obi-Wan and Owen were brothers. As we know, the novelization was released before the movie. Apparently Lucas decided to change things in the last minute and cut that part of dialogue from the scene. It would be too confusing now that we know that it's Anakin who's Owen's brother (okay, it's his stepbrother) - having Anakin and Obi-Wan being step brothers would be too much I guess... :p

So just disregard that part of novelization. Obi-Wan and Owen are NOT brothers, and they're in no relation whatsoever (besides that Anakin is Owens stepbrother and Obi-Wan's apprentice).

13. Jedi-Angel

Jedi-Angel Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 14, 2002
    I adore George Lucas, but I'm so glad he's not God! :p

14. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
  15. NabooPrincess14

NabooPrincess14 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2002
    Jedi Girl, don't worry about it.
    I think you should make him from a place you make up. Don't worry about it has to be right. I think, since you have been writting your story for 2 years you must has some amazing creativity. Use it. ;)

16. ArnaKyle

ArnaKyle Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2000
    I'll join into the chorus, it's never been verified, but as stated by someone earlier, it's probably within the OR grounds. I was actually wondering if perhaps Obi Wan would even know since Jedi were taken at six months of age. I was under the impression that Jedi didn't know anything of their past by the TPM novel.

*Shrugs* In one of my fics I start the Kenobi line in Coruscant, while others have it elsewhere. It's just a matter of your personal preference and your take on the "origin"

17. JediClare

JediClare Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2001
    Obi-Wan does know where he's from, but it's not mentioned. In JA #13, The Hidden Past, he remembers a visit home. A little clue from the book:
    Soft grasses underneath his bare feet.

Not Coruscant, not Tatooine.

Not Hoth. :p

18. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    [face_laugh]

:p

Still, I think if a Jedi asks where he/she comes from, they should tell him/her. I mean, it's just knowing your home planet, it's not a big deal.

I still say Obi is Corellian.... ;) :D

19. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Thanks for all the feedback guys :) I would have replied sooner, but well the internet's been screwing up and my wisdom teeth have left the premises. :p Lovely lovely vicadin :D Works wonders on writers block :D

I think I am going to make up a planet for him to be from. But I was wondering what qualities should the people of this planet have in common with Obi? Should they all be rather cynical, blond hair, or maybe they all have those mysterious blue green gray hazel eyes of his... hmmm.... Any suggestions?

And I can see why some of you have said he's from Corellia, but I think that most Corellians are almost, well, rude and Obi can be very polite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.