main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Obi-Wan's Reaction.....

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by RED-FIVE, Nov 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RED-FIVE

RED-FIVE Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2001
    while watching Anakin's actions on the security tape in the Jedi temple....he has trained him since Anakin was a little boy, and it seemed that his whole reaction was rushed. In my opinion, he should have shown a little bit more emotion while watching his best friend and Jedi brother slaughtering Jedi and younglings. I was expecting maybe him falling to his knees or maybe getting a little teary eyed. I just think that Lucas could have told him to show more emotion than just watching the tape for 2 seconds and turning it off saying "I can't watch anymore."

I might be expecting too much.....

2. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    In the ROTS novel, Obi-Wan does fall to his knees and starts talking very crazy when he finds that Anakin has turned to the dark side. His reaction on film was on point. He didn't need to overeact to the situation. It can't be! was enough.

3. EwokThatCried

EwokThatCried Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2003
    "It can't be, it can't be!" = shock.

4. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    a lot of people thought there could be more. but jedi are restrained. he might not have liked to let his hair down in front of yoda :p

5. woodlebert1

woodlebert1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 17, 2005
    i dont wanna start a war or something, but i thought this was ewans worst scene in the movie. doesnt sound like he means it, "i cant watch anymore"

6. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    i thought it was downright silly he didn't watch anymore considering that he could have found out about anakin's new assignment just by staying tuned.

7. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    i really disliked his reaction, emotionally it was the only bad acting by ewan in the whole movie. i know the guy is a jedi and no emotions and all that BS but at least a little tear would have been fine.

i mean vader cries after killing the separatist :eek:and kenobi only says "i cant watch anymore"[face_plain] after seeing anakin killing babies !!!?!?!??! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

8. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    Hmm, what Obi saw was captured by the Temple security cameras.
    Sidious obviously came to meet and greet Ani at the Temple once it was secured.
    He didn't give Anakin his assignment there, he gives it to him earlier in his own office.
    So I doubt Obi could have seen that particular revelation.

9. Jedi_Momma

Jedi_Momma Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 1, 2005
    Say what you will about Obi - he's no ***** (meeoow)!:D

10. EwokThatCried

EwokThatCried Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2003
    Obi-Wan was holding back tears.

11. halfwits-r-us

halfwits-r-us Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    have to defend Ewan and his portrayal here, I thought it was spot on. So I disagree with a lot of you and am obviously in the minority.[face_monkey]

12. jd7

jd7 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2003
    Yea it did feel a little rushed. Yet he saw it and just didn't want to see anymore, can't blame him.

13. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Yup

"I don't know where to look!" - He's definitely trying to maintain his composure when he says this, you can also see it when Padme asks him if he's going to kill Anakin.

- O_F

14. joshuavance

joshuavance Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2002
    I think perhaps the point was that it wasn't the time or place for grief. Obi-Wan and Yoda could have easily succumbed to the pain of the days events, they just had their entire way of life destroyed after all, but they realized fight or flight was kicking in, and they had to represent to the best of their abilities, being the last two good guys in the universe and all.

15. Darth_Bach

Darth_Bach Jedi Youngling

Oct 25, 2005
    Though I do recall Obi-Wan seeing a part of the hologram with Sidious saying "Rise, Lord Vader" with Anakin kneeling -- an event which I thought also took place in Sidious' office. Perhaps the Jedi have the ability to watch any of the government security holograms, being the protectors of the peace for the Republic. Who knows. If he could see that, then he could have waited a minute to hear about Vader's asssignment, which you're right, also took place in the office.

"After you have killed all the Jedi in the temple, I want you to go to the Mustafar system, the separatist leaders have gathered there. Wipe out Viceroy Gunray, etc...." (Or something like that)

But I could be mistaken.

16. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004

This is what is said in the office, from the script:

ANAKIN: Thank you. my Master.

PALPATINE: Rise, Darth Vader.

Palpatine moves over to his desk.

And this is what Obi-Wan sees on the security footage:

As ANAKIN surveys the carnage, a DARK-ROBED SITH LORD enters. ANAKIN turns to DARTH SIDIOUS and kneels before him.

ANAKIN: The traitors have been taken care of, Lord Sidious.

DARTH SlDIOUS: Good . . . good . . . You have done well, my new apprentice. Do you feel your power growing?

ANAKIN: Yes, My Master.

DARTH SlDIOUS: Now, Lord Vader, now go and bring peace to the Empire.

OBI-WAN watches in horror. Tears well up in his eyes.

The footage of Sidious and Anakin is clearly from within the Temple.
    If the Jedi had cameras in Palpatine's office, they would have been a lot wiser a lot sooner...

17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Not to mention they wouldn't need Anakin to spy on Palpatine.

Anyway, Obi-wan's reaction is appropriate. He is in shock. He is saddened and upset, but then he lets these emotions pass through him and out of his system. Just cause Anakin has betrayed them, doesn't mean that it's time to panic. He's a Jedi.

18. joshuavance

joshuavance Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2002
    Yeah Lord Sinister,

Obi-Wan knew intuitively he and Yoda had bigger fish to fry, namely like what in the hell were they going to do now that everything has fallen on their heads.

I think Obi-Wan is the kind of guy that , that particular reaction WAS infinate grief and betrayal, people just show it differently.

If he would have collapsed to one knee and cried and despaired, it wouldn't have really reflected very highly on him.

Yoda- "a big man it takes to cry. A bigger man it takes to laugh at that man mm hmm." ::insert wacky TESB Yoda laugh::

"Awww lost your padawan you did mm?"

19. Darth_Drachonus

Darth_Drachonus Jedi Master star 3

Oct 4, 2005
    I think Ewan did a great job here. I'm on of those people that straddle the fence, Obi-wan Kenobi is great..absolutely. But I am also a fan of Anakin. But getting back on topic here, Ewan did just fine with this, he's one of the ONLY two Jedi left, going to peices over the footage wasn't something he could do at the moment. He saved it for later..perhaps while he was in solitude on Tatooine.

20. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    It`s a shame we couldn`t physically be Obi-Wan he was supressing his feelings,my stomach would be twisted in knots if I saw that

21. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    I don't have a problem with Ewan's acting, but the scene itself seemed a little rushed.

Don't forget that Ewan was reacting to something that wasn't there. He has to rely on what the director is telling him is going to be added in later.

22. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I really don't have any complaints about this scene. I'm aware Obi-Wan could've been a bit more dramatic, but I wouldn't quite expect him to completely turn into a drama queen over it. He was in shock, and yet he was holding a lot of it in. That's very in-character of him.

23. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    It's that it does feel rushed, more than it is Ewan's acting. The scene cuts away from Anakin doing what he's doing, so fast, and after a quick Obi-Wan shot, we cut back and it's randomly jumped to a convenient few seconds with Anakin and Sidious. Before you know it, Obi-Wan's saying he can't watch anymore. Seems too trimmed down in the editing room.

24. ObiWanIsTheOne

ObiWanIsTheOne Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 30, 2005
    I agree with the others about Ewan's acting. It isn't Ewan at all, its that scene. Its almost like Lucas said "Hhmm...we're running out of time. This scene is important but we're losing time for the final duels..." Sadly, that scene had to suffer for it. I honestly wish that scene had been stretched out a little more...

25. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    the problem i have is that anakin is already given the assigment when he's in palps' office and yet they meet again. so, palps might have made sure that anakin gets it right and told him again.

at any rate we'll never know, because obi-wan doesn't stay tuned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.