main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Obi-Wan's Reaction.....

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by RED-FIVE, Nov 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
    This is a Star Wars film. Story first. Emotion second.

Check Leia out when Alderaan is destroyed.

The message was put across by Kenobi. He was upset. Story told. "Move along".

GL: "Im a visual filmaker".

Star Wars is, IMO, one of a very few number of blockbuster movies that you can understand whats going on simply by the visuals. Msuic helps. Dialogue comes third.

Then again...

"I love you!"
    "I know"

:_|

2. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Before watching the movie, I actually thought Obi-Wan would be the one who would be in disbelief instead of Padme. And I also assumed that Obi-Wan would take it upon himself to redeem Anakin, hence Vader's "Obi-Wan once thought as you did," line in ROTJ.

3. roguegirl

roguegirl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 29, 2001
    If you were Obiwan and you watched the scene in the holo your apprentice & friend for many years,kill your fellow Jedi.How would you feel? My stomach would tie up in knots also that's for sure.

Obiwan had probably felt that too,only there's more important decision to make at that point.Uncomfortable,but important nonetheless.

4. Evil-Anakin

Evil-Anakin Jedi Youngling

Oct 23, 2005
    Agreed!

5. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    I don't know why people have a problem with Obi-Wan's reaction. I think it was a good display of muted shock. It seems Lucas can't win with some people. If a reaction's too emotional (Vader's "Nooooooo!") it's cheesy and awful. If it's too subtle (Obi-Wan's "I can't watch anymore") it's wooden and unemotional.

6. JMN77

JMN77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    It was a little better than:
    "I saw a security cam of Anakin killing.... Younglings"
    IMO.

7. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    Obi-Wan has been trained since birth to repress his emotions. So I have no problem at all with his reaction.

8. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    There was nothing wrong with the scene other than Ewan's acting left quite a lot to be desired. Out of all the actors, I actually find Ewan's the most patchy. In most scene's he is very ,very good. Look at the way he act's during the Immolation scene - Heartbreaking. :_|

But just a few times during the movie he is a bit of a let-down. This scene is one of his worst. Nevermind, because the scene picks up when he talks to Yoda and his next scene with Natalie is one of his best in the whole movie! :D

9. IKilledSifo-Dyas

IKilledSifo-Dyas Jedi Master star 2

Aug 6, 2003
    I'll tell you what really bothers me about this scene (besides the very short hologram footage/Obi-Wan reaction).There is no realizaion from either one of them that Palpatine is a Sith.Zero reaction when they see Sidious in the hologram.They act like they either have no idea who's under the hood,or that they have always known Palpatine was Sidious and it was no big surprise.After seeing the hologram,it should have been something like (I usually hate when people post there imaginary SW dialogue,but...... :p ):

Obi-Wan (looking at Yoda) -"Darth Sidious?"

Yoda (with things finally a liitle less clouded by the Darkside)-"Chancellor Palpatine"

Obi-Wan "Palpatine?!?!?"

Yoda - "Sidious,the Chancellor is."

Something like that would have made this scene flow much better.And get rid of Obi-Wan suddenly calling him "The Emperor" 2 seconds after Sidious says the word "Empire".He says it once at the very end of the hologram and all of a sudden it's like Obi-Wan just accepts it-"Well,he called it an empire,so I guess I'll start calling him "The Emperor."- like he's acknowledging the whole thing.Even Anakin still refers to him as the Chancellor later in the movie.This scene was obviously screwed up by the editing.

10. Evil-Anakin

Evil-Anakin Jedi Youngling

Oct 23, 2005
    Very good point!

11. JMN77

JMN77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    Yeah, that bugs me too. I understand when people say it works, but really!!
    Your first thoughts, after viewing the cam footage, would not be.... "I better get Palp's new moniker correct"
    [face_beatup]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.