main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Obi-Wan's tunic

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by padawanskywalker, Apr 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. padawanskywalker

padawanskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2003
    My memory is a bit clouded, so bear with me:

In the Jedi Apprentice books, it's stated that Obi-Wan received a force sensitive riverstone from Qui-Gon. It also says that Obi-Wan's good friend, Bant, sewed a pocket in his tunic (around his heart), where he kept the stone. However, in TPM, there's no evidence whatsoever that a pocket was ever sewed into that part of his tunic. Maybe George Lucas doesn't read the JA books.

2. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    The JA books were made after TPM came out so George Lucas wouldn't know about it.

Even so, why couldn't if have changed tunics over time?

3. Saberwielder315

Saberwielder315 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Also,Lucas does not go by what the books say. Still, you also really would not be able to tell

4. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Also,Lucas does not go by what the books say.

Not entirely true. He does use items from the books.

5. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    In the Jedi Apprentice books, it's stated that Obi-Wan received a force sensitive riverstone from Qui-Gon. It also says that Obi-Wan's good friend, Bant, sewed a pocket in his tunic (around his heart), where he kept the stone. However, in TPM, there's no evidence whatsoever that a pocket was ever sewed into that part of his tunic. Maybe George Lucas doesn't read the JA books.

I don't understand the problem here.

No one said the pocket was on the OUTSIDE of his tunic. Ever heard of inside pockets? If this thing is that great, I doubt he'd have it out showing for everybody to see. This guy got in alot of battle, it would have been stolen or lost eventually if he displayed it.

6. KyleKatarn96

KyleKatarn96 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 19, 2004
    maybe its the riverstone that gives ob1 all that "luck" ;)

"Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears! ... I'm hungry." -Mike Tyson

haha thats great [face_laugh]

7. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Also, Lucas does not go by what the books say.

Lucas took the name Coruscant from Heir to the Empire. The original name for 'Imperial City' was 'Had Abaddon.'

8. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    padawanskywalker posted on 4/10/05 8:15am
    My memory is a bit clouded, so bear with me:

In the Jedi Apprentice books, it's stated that Obi-Wan received a force sensitive riverstone from Qui-Gon. It also says that Obi-Wan's good friend, Bant, sewed a pocket in his tunic (around his heart), where he kept the stone. However, in TPM, there's no evidence whatsoever that a pocket was ever sewed into that part of his tunic. Maybe George Lucas doesn't read the JA books.[hr][/blockquote]

*bangs head on desk*

Lucas in no way works off of the EU material. He had his grand story long before those books we're written, so if the films contradict the books, then so be it. He doesen't care, and I don't blame him.

9. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    If it WAS indeed supposed to be on the outside I can think of one good reason that Lucas didn't do that.

It would look stupid.

Another one:

People wouldn't know what it was or why it was there.

10. michaelbacca

michaelbacca Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2005
    I had always thought that GL had written all the scripts at the same time. If they were all written in 1977, he couldn't have taken anything from EU novels. I also thought that there were originally supposed to be nine movies but he just changed his mind about making the other three movies.

11. neo-dragon

neo-dragon Jedi Master star 3

Apr 15, 2004
    The scripts of the prequels were definitely not written way back when he was making the originals. All he had back then were vague ideas.

Also, there's a difference between "following" the EU, and taking ideas from it. Lucas has certainly used some EU ideas in the films, but only where it's convenient. If he had really "followed" the EU, the clone wars would have been completely different, as would Boba Fett's origin. The truth is that Lucas doesn't usually read any EU. He has to give his OK on some major events involving his characters, and I've heard that he read and enjoyed the "Dark Empire" graphic novel series, but he's clueless to about 90% of what happens in the EU.

12. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    The answer here is simple: the JA sucks.

-sj loves kevin spacey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.