main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Obidala

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Obi-Wan sweetie, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Obi-Wan sweetie

Obi-Wan sweetie Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2014
    If someone dicided to remake Attack of the clones movie and it was about Obi-Wan and Padmè falling in love how would this effect Revenge of the sith?
    [​IMG]

2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  3. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    I actually posted this scene in another thread but it's relevant. This scene was in the script and was filmed but didn't make it into the movie.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It would be an interesting way of having their friendship "injected with uncaring virulence" as per the RoTJ novel:

It was a face that had not seen itself in twenty years.
    Vader saw his son crying, and knew it must have been at the horror of the face the boy beheld.
    It intensified, momentarily, Vader's own sense of anguish - to his crimes, now, he added guilt at the imagined repugnance of his appearance. But then this brought him to mind of the way he used to look - striking, and grand, with a wry tilt to his brow that hinted of invincibility and took in all of life with a wink. Yes, that was how he'd looked once.
    And this memory brought a wave of other memories with it. Memories of brotherhood, and home. His dear wife. The freedom of deep space. Obi-Wan.
    Obi-Wan, his friend ... and how that friendship had turned. Turned, he knew not how - but got injected, nonetheless, with some uncaring virulence that festered, until ... hold. These were memories he wanted none of, not now. Memories of molten lava, crawling up his back ... no.
    There's a similar scene in the novel though - about Obi-Wan and a cabal of Senators that Palpatine claims may be plotting to remove him:

"Ah, that—well, that is the difficult part. The disturbing part. It seems that Master Kenobi has been in contact with a certain Senator who is known to be among the leaders of this cabal. Apparently, very close contact. The rumor is that he was seen leaving this Senator's residence this very morning, at an... unseemly hour."
    "Who?" Anakin opened his eyes and sat forward. "Who is this Senator? Let's go question him."
    "I'm sorry, Anakin. But the Senator in question is, in fact, a her. A woman you know quite well, in fact."
    "You—" He wasn't hearing this. He couldn't be. "You mean—"
    Anakin choked on her name.
    Palpatine gave him a look of melancholy sympathy. "I'm afraid so."
    Anakin coughed his voice back to life. "That's impossible! I would know—she doesn't... she couldn't—"
    "Sometimes the closest," Palpatine said sadly, "are those who cannot see."
    Anakin sat back, stunned. He felt like he'd been punched in the chest by a Gamorrean. By a rancor. His ears rang, and the room whirled around him.
    "I would know," he repeated numbly. "I would know..."
    "Don't take it too hard," Palpatine said. "It may be only idle gossip. All this may be only a figment of my overheated imagination; after all these years of war, I find myself inspecting every shadow that might hide an enemy. That is what I need from you, Anakin: I need you to find the truth. To set my mind at rest."
    A distant smolder kindled under Anakin's breastbone, so faint as to be barely there at all, but even a hint of that fire gave Anakin the strength to throw himself to his feet.
    "I can do that," he said.
    The flame grew stronger now. Hotter. The numb fatigue that had dragged at his limbs began to burn away.
    "Good, Anakin. I knew I could count on you."
    "Always, sir. Always."
    He turned to go. He would go to her. He would see her. He would get the truth. He would do it now. Right now. In the middle of the day. It didn't matter who might see him.
    This was business.
    "I know who my friends are," he said, and left.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    "My brain" is pretty much my response too but going into only a couple of specifics:

--It would have made ROTS a worse movie than it already was by adding a horrifically stupid Twilightesque love triangle

--It would have ruined both Obi-Wan and Padme's characters. Making Obi-Wan into a liar in the OT was bad but I love the guy anyway. Doing his best friend's girl would pretty much be a deal breaker there. And Padme...pick one of them, woman, unless you're just the poly amorous type in which case...get away from both of them, because they both seem more like one-at-a-time people. Go see Ki-Adi Mundi.

6. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    it would have made people sympathize with anakin too much.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I would have liked to sympathize with him a little more, actually, but not for that reason.

8. Lord Chazza

Jan 4, 2013
    Yes. The whole "you will not take her from me" thing would start to take on a whole new meaning which would kinda destroy the sorrow you are meant to feel as a viewer when you watch Anakin make all the wrong choices.

Andy Wylde and Pensivia like this.
  9. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    It would validate my current avatar.:p

More seriously--though part of me sort of likes the idea of a "Lancelot-Guinevere" angle (I prefer to think of the possible love triangle in those terms rather than in Twilight-esque terms:p) , it probably wouldn't have been a good idea. I agree with anakinfan, it would not fit with Obi's and Padme's characters.

10. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Padme was Anakin's main motivation for falling to the dark side. In such a scenario where it was Obi-Wan who had fallen for Padme, would Anakin still have had his feelings?
    I just can't imagine Padme and Obi-Wan getting together anyway. She didn't really have any bonding time with him at all, as compared to with Anakin when they arrived on Tat.

Digressing...
    it's very difficult to tell. Assuming Anakin did have feelings, Palpatine would most certainly take advantage of his jealousy, perhaps use that to make him give in to his dark tendencies. But I just can't really see much else changing. Obviously there would be no Luke or Leia. If Anakin did fall, then the galaxy would most likely have stayed as it was before the twins intervened.
    Ok my thoughts are randomly scattered lol. This is a hypothetical that I've never before considered. It would completely change the characters of all three....

Andy Wylde likes this.
  11. Obi-Wan sweetie

Jul 3, 2014

Actually there could be Luke and Leia but there last name wouldn't be Skywalker

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That would have caused quite a problem with the ending of ROTJ and Anakin being brought back to the light by his son.

13. Obi-Wan sweetie

Jul 3, 2014

Now I won't lie because that is true. But at the same time if Luke was Obi-Wan's Son that would mean the Anakin would be his uncle (Not litteraly but it is possible)

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Ugh...no. Just no.

I like Obi-Wan as much as the next person but the idea of Obi-Wan secretly fathering twins by his best friend's wife...

As I said...ugh.

Looks more like Young and the Restless than Star Wars. The whole "twins separated at birth" storyline was as soap-opera-esque as I can handle.

15. Obi-Wan sweetie

Jul 3, 2014

OK I got it if you can't handle it then fine the only reason I was asking this question is beacuse I've seen a lot of pictures and read a lot of books about it and I just wanted to get at least one opinion on it.

16. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    To say someone "can't handle it" when they simply express an opinion of not liking the idea sounds very derisive.
    The closest there ever will be to "Obidala" is fanfiction and a cut idea from ROTS where Anakin was (incorrectly) suspicious that they were having an affair. Simple

17. Obi-Wan sweetie

Jul 3, 2014

Yeah I figured that out really fast. (Dang tough crowd)

18. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
  19. Obi-Wan sweetie

Jul 3, 2014
    Oh thanks that helps me a lot NOT!

20. Obi-Wan sweetie

Jul 3, 2014
    All I wanted was a simple opinion but now it seems EVERYBODY HAS GONE MAD! :_| AND IT'S MAKING ME SICK:_|

MOD Note: Double Posts are not allowed. Use the edit function where possible. Please read post on double posts. Obi-Wan sweetie

21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ^ Just don't lose the will to live, cuz there's no cure for that.

22. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    I just noticed your registration date, so I apologise is my post came off a little too strongly.

Others have pointed out though that it really is a mess of an idea,

imagine watching ANH in the same way

Luke: what happened to my father?
    Obi-wan: well was fooling around with his wife, your mom, he found out. I betrayed and metaphorically murdered your father
    Luke...

23. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    They had plans for Obi-Wan to have some kind of romance with Padmé since TPM, and the idea is again revived (but shelved) for AOTC as Lord Chazza brought up. Finally at ROTS, it's brought up in ROTS as a means for conflict between Obi-Wan and Anakin. Personally, while it would have been weird to have the actual hints of romance as they planned in TPM, I think Palpatine trying to persuade Anakin in AOTC would echo well with what became in ROTS.

As for if making the actual change would affect Revenge of the Sith... simply put, the answer is a big YES. Though while not quite as rebellious as Qui-Gon, we do get the hint that Obi-Wan is a different thinking Jedi. I actually enjoyed the romance with Duchess Satine in The Clone Wars; it seemed like a natural thing for his character.

24. Lord Chazza

Jan 4, 2013
    Here are a few more relevant scenes and lines from the ROTS script.

This in an excerpt from the I'm Pregnant scene:
    This is from the nightmare scene. Again, Anakin shows that he mistrusts Obi-Wan.
    Here is a very interesting Padme/Obi-Wan scene that was completely cut from the movie:
    Now of course there is the Obi-Wan has been here scene and that is still in the movie relatively unaltered. The fact that it comes after the deleted scene where Palpatine tells Anakin that the Senate are saying Obi-Wan's mind has been fogged by a female Senator is highly significant.

There is a deleted line of dialogue from the Mustafar scene whilst Anakin is choking Padme:

Revanfan1 and Iron_lord like this.
  25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That's fairly consistent with the junior novelization (Patricia C. Wrede). This is how it went in the adult novelization (Matt Stover)

"I'm barely even home, and you're already trying to talk me into going back to the war—"
    "This isn't about politics, Anakin, it's about you."
    "Something has changed, hasn't it?" Thunder gathered in his voice. "I felt it, even outside. Something has changed."
    She lowered her head. "Everything has changed."
    "What is it? What?" He took her by the shoulders now, his hands hard and irresistibly powerful. "There's someone else. I can feel it in the Force! There is someone coming between us—"
    "Not the way you think," she said. "Anakin, listen—"
    "Who is it? Who?"
    "Stop it. Anakin, stop. You'll hurt us."
    His hands sprang open as though she had burned them. He took an unsteady step backward, his face suddenly ashen. "Padme—I would never—I'm so sorry, I just—" He leaned on the pillar and brought a hand weakly to his eyes. "The Hero With No Fear. What a joke... Padme, I can't loseyou. I can't. You're all I live for. Wait..." He lifted his head, frowning quizzically. "Did you say, us?"
    She reached for him, and he came to meet her hand. Rising tears burned her eyes, and her lip trembled. "I'm... Annie, I'm pregnant. . . "

Revanfan1 and Lord Chazza like this.