main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Obi's love life..?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by sabee, Apr 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sabee

sabee Jedi Youngling

Apr 13, 2006
    A question that's been plaguing me for a while....for a character so well rounded and detailed as Obi-Wan..why did GL not write in a relationship for him..? Could be because A) Anni's relationship would be of more impact to us (being so forbidden and not yet addressed in the SAGA) or B) because GL simply isn't that good at understanding love and women..?

Could be a bit of both..or maybe Obi was just destined to be a hermit like/mentor character.

HOWEVER....if you scrutinise the films enough (as my sister and I have done over badly shaken cocktails and chocolate..), have you guys ever considered the following..

- Obi was slightly in love with Padme.
    I swear to god there's one scene in PM, on Naboo just after Padme's revealed herself to Boss Nass - where she shows a hologram and discusses her plan of attack. Obi throws her a killer sexy look. It's there. Check it out!! And...there's just something about two scenes in ROTS, when Obi visits her alone to talk about Annie, and when he's watching her die/give birth to the twins. They just look so damn good together, and the scenes seem to be treated with a sort of gentleness and sexiness. It just feels..forbidden. I wish GL had conciously implied this (which I severely doubt!! The poor boy can hardly write a convincing dialogue in the straightest of scenes!!.) Can u imagine how dramatic a Annie/Padme/Obi love triangle would've been?? Ok,ok...I'm biased...I just think they'd be so much more suited. I can't see a single thing attractive about Annie after AoTC.

- Could there be any kind of homoerotic relationship between Obi/QGJ or Obi/Anni?
    Seriously now..(though I'm just being a self confessed girl now..;) - it's not uncommon in the genre, and they do spend ALOT of time together. Consider how repressed they all are. I think it could be more so a possibility with QGJ/Obi...we know QGJ had been in love before (touchingly treated in the Jedi Apprentice books) but I wouldn't put it past him. Maybe THAT'S why Obi doesn't appear to fall in love with the films....he'll never love again after Qui Gonn died...

Sorry boys...I'm sure half are you are like 'What the???' but for all the girls out there....and Ewie fans....check out those scenes and see if you know what I mean!! And for the rest of you, I'd be really interested to know what you feel in general about Obi love life speculations....

xx s

What do u think..?

2. darth_ral

darth_ral Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2004
    well first off you answered your question in the first line, obiwan is suppose to symbolize the 'well-rounded' jedi, so it wouldnt fit him and also it would detract from the anakin/padme reltationship being so 'forbidden'.

also someone with more knowledge can help out here, but i believe in the EU before TPM obiwan did at least have a crush on some girl. it might be 'darth maul:shadowhunter', but im not sure.[face_peace]

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Obi-wan in the films had no relationship, because like most Jedi, they didn't indulge themselves with a relationship. Attachments are forbidden. A Jedi could have a physical relationship with someone, they just generally didn't. Ergo, Obi-wan was a bachelor like all the other Jedi.

Going into the eu, Obi-wan had a relationship with fellow Padawan/Knight Siri Tachi. She appeared mostly in the Jedi Apprentice/Quest series. But they never went as far as Anakin did with Padme.

4. EBSaints

EBSaints Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 29, 2002
    Yep.

5. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    Obi-Wan is intentionally made to be the "perfect" Jedi. This means that he follows the code, including its ban on attachments, to the letter. This is done so we, the audience, can have an easy frame of reference when comparing Anakin to what a Jedi is "supposed" to be.

6. BA_Baracus

BA_Baracus Jedi Youngling

Apr 5, 2006

Thats actually what Lucas intended when he killed Qui-Gon off. And thats why Anakin is so standoffish towards Obi-Wan.

7. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

Indeed. Darth Sinister is right. In the films, for Obi-Wan to have any type of actual love interest, would have confused the hell out of everyone. In the EU we are treated to Obi-Wan having Siri, Qui-Gon having that one woman (Don't remember her name at the moment), and Ki-Adi Mundi and his hundred or so wives. In Novels the author's can get into the characters head and show how the relationships that the Jedi harbor develop and fade because of duty. Not enough time on film for something that frivilous.

Obi-Wan DID love Anakin, Padme, Yoda, and probably most of the knight in the temple. Not any type of erotic love, but love for living beings. Obi-Wan and Padme obviously viewed each other as friends.

"I don't believe the situation is"
    "That serious. But I do. I know additional security may be disruptive, but what if it was an old FRIEND like....Master Kenobi."

Obi-Wan and Padme had a history of adventures together. Original meeting on Naboo, travel to Tatooine, Return to Naboo, providing security for her, being in the same execution arena, knowing that Anakin loved her.... Guess what? It IS possible for a Male and Female to be close without sexual tension.

And no, there was no ****-erotic thing between Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan/Anakin.....the movie wasn't Revenge of the Brokeback Sith. Although it isn't often stated among males, most guys tend to "Love" their friends. Again, you can have strong feelings for someone without needing to have sex with them.

Carnage

8. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    i think many a fan fic writer disagrees with you and your assessment of the revenge of the brokeback mountain, carnage. ;)

9. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    I think a very interesting thing to do would have been to have a female Jedi accompany Obi-Wan to Kamino. The two would develop a friendship, or more. Then at the end you'd see the two of them part, being good Jedi, while Anikin is off marrying Padme. Plus, Obi has no one to play off in the movie which is kinda boring.

10. Darth_Maestro

Darth_Maestro Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2005
    [face_skull] [:eek: [face_skull]

8-} 8-}

i swear it's not good if this is the first thing you see when you read a post.....

11. Ani_Lover

Ani_Lover Jedi Master star 4

Dec 15, 2005
    Obi-Wan and Padme?? :rolleyes: NOT!!!!! [face_sick]

Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon?? [face_sick] [face_sick]

OBI-WAN AND ANAKIN???????? [face_sick] [face_sick] [face_sick]

Anakin is a "man" in every sense of the word.....

All of those ideas are nauseating......

12. -HD-YaebGinn

-HD-YaebGinn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 31, 2005
    Save for the part where he is whining about not getting his way.

13. chopman

chopman Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2005
    Lol at the question. Didn't you notice that it was Anakin's forbidden love that was a primary catalyst for the entire saga?

14. MasterVodo

MasterVodo Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2005
    Sabee, do you have a homoerotic relationship with your mother or your sister? I didn't think so. (At least I hope not) There is no such relationship between any of the male Jedi characters and to suggest it is preposterous. Qui-Gon was very much like Obi-Wan's father and I would argue that Anakin regarded Obi-Wan as his big brother (especially one who has been forced to assume a fatherly role). So yes they all love each other very much but certainly not in a sexual fashion. As someone else stated, it is possible though not widley broadcast, for male to love each other platonicly. I would say I have great love for my two best friends which is almost on par with my wife. The big difference is I have no desire to have sex with them.

As for Obi-Wan and Padme, certainly they are casual friends at the least. I sensed more of a Father/Daughter in-law kind of vibe from thier Revenge of the Sith scenes together. He has love for her because of her relationship with "his son/little brother" which is enhanced by the fact the she is to be the mother of his "nephew/niece - grandson/daughter".

Perhaps your own desire for Ewan McGreggor has clouded your judgment young padawan.

15. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I like theorizing that Mace was so eager to toss Obi-Wan and Anakin back out on another mission in AOTC because Obi-Wan was the Temple ladies' man and Mace was jealous. :p

I agree on the Obi-Wan/Padme chemistry, personally. Maybe not a romantic chemistry, but you can tell they obviously like eachother. And as Obi-Wan (to me, anyhow) seems to be in the OT Luke's good father to Darth's bad father, a bit of romanticness at Luke & Leia's birth isn't totally out of place, IMO.

16. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    Yeah, it was best for Padme to have a good friend that cared about her during the twins birth sequence. It really added warmth to the scene and demonstrated why Obi-Wan would sit on that blasted desert planet for 20 years watching Luke grow up.

Imagine if Mace or someone would have been there. It would have felt Cold. "I will take what Jedi we have left and begin to put diapers on the twins. Goodbye Senator....uhm, Mothma? I think that's your name anyway. May the Force be with you."

Carnage

17. AllianceCommando

AllianceCommando Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2006
    No, there is no 'homoerotic' thing going on, the bond between a master and an apprentice is like a father and a son...

18. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    I think what you see is merely the fact that Natalie Portman and Ewan McGregor have more on screen chemistry than Portman and Hayden Christiansen. Another example of how unfortunate the casting of the PT was, considering the dreadful lack of chemistry between Portman and Christiansen; this is not dialog driven, it is just a result that the two romantic leads had negative chemistry, so other characters looked more comfortable together than they should have.

19. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    More on the birth scene..

That's an incredibly intimate moment right there. Notice that there's usually not a whole lot of people around in the delivery room right then. Obi-Wan is basically standing in for Anakin right there as the father of Padme's children, and he's the first person outside of their mother who they're in contact with..

20. am-pm

am-pm Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2005
    Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner! LOL.

I went to the scene you described and sorry, I saw no sexy look thrown at Padme. Only the patented Obi-Wan perma-frown of concern.

21. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    i think you guys are all getting far too attatched to the notion of the ****

22. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Obi-Wan is basically standing in for Anakin right there as the father of Padme's children, and he's the first person outside of their mother who they're in contact with.

Which has more bearing on the future relationship Ben will have with these children rather than any relationship he had or might have had with the mother (Padme).

23. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Well, as she dies in the next few moments, obviously. But I still think there was a pretty solid friendship between them, despite a relative lack of contact over the last few years, which was kinda the point of my two posts. :p

24. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I'm pretty sure Obi was a bachelor boy.

Not Mace though, he was the black private dick that's a sex machine to all the chicks ...

...damn right!

25. Ani_Lover

Ani_Lover Jedi Master star 4

Dec 15, 2005
    WOW.........:eek: That's gross!! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.