main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vancouver Obscure Star Wars References

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Azeria_Jade, Dec 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azeria_Jade

Azeria_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 3, 2001
    Okay, most of us are bound to read books and see films other then Star Wars, but so ingrained in society it seems to have become that everyone wants a stab at a reference of only to boost their sales and/or ratings.

Caught any lately?

As for myself I was watching the Down with Love DVD blooper reel the other day. Ewan McGregor messed up a line, cursed and then turned off camera to ask "Who am I again?" Some cad off camera cried out "Obi-wan!" "Right! Thank you!" Ewan replied and then turned back to the scene.

2. Jedi_Ulic_Qel-Droma

Jedi_Ulic_Qel-Droma Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 9, 2002
    Cool, looks like im gonna go see that movie after all...

But I do know how much of a fan Kevin Smith is, and all his films (yes, ALL of them) has a Star Wars reference either in the dialog or backdrop...

I do remember an Eddie Murphy movie, cant remember the title, where he was a prince that went to Queens in NY to find a bride... His dad in the movie gave an awesome line when a motel clerk or something asked him if he should do something about Eddie's misbehaviour... the dad said, "No, leave him to me, I will deal with him, myself..."

Sounds familiar?? It should, who can forget James Earl Jones' voice.. then again, it was Mr. Jones that played the role of the Dad!!!

3. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    Coming to America... I think. I haven't seen that movie in ages so I don't really remember the scene. I'll have to watch for it next time it's on ;)

4. Azeria_Jade

Azeria_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 3, 2001
    Props to anyone who can list all of the Buffy refs... :D

5. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    Props to anyone who can list all of the Buffy refs...

Hmm...is that a challenge? [face_mischief]

6. caff_solo

caff_solo Jedi Youngling

Oct 29, 2004
    ...people still watch buffy? i remember i was so addicted to that show, and in love with sarah michelle gellar, but stopped watching once Oz...i think his name was...once he left. then it got weird...willow the lez and all, the cheesy romances increasing. anyways...

7. dooku-ca-choo

dooku-ca-choo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2004
    I was scanning some comics to be put on my website, and I caught a couple of references which got me thinking about this thread.

The first was from a comic translated from Japanese called xxxHOLiC. It's about a mystic woman named Yuko and her reluctant apprentice Kimihiro. When Yuko asks him if the projected hologram they just saw reminded him of anything, he immediately answers "Star Wars"--although that wasn't the quite answer she was looking for.

The second comes from a comic called Squee which is series of satirical (and extremely violent) stories about a boy who always seems to have bad stuff happen to him. In this story Squee's class is introduced to a new kid in town, who just happens to be the son of Satan, and also likes Darth Vader (but doesnt care much for the prequels apparently).

8. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Those are hilarious!

There's a beautiful little re-enactment of the Vader "I am your Father" revelation scene in the movie "Reign of Fire" - worth the DVD purchase price for that alone (although the rest of the movie bit).

Edit: sp

9. dooku-ca-choo

Jun 5, 2004
    That's the film with dragon's n' stuff, right? I think I remember that movie. I had the misfortune of watching that one in the theatre, and that's pretty much the only scene I remember from it. I think the scene was done as a little puppet show or something, it was actually pretty neat.

10. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Yeah that's the one. I only saw it for Gerard Butler. Came away more impressed than I thought I'd be with the CGI and Christian Bale's acting - he did a pretty good job with a dud movie.

11. Voice_Implodes

Voice_Implodes Jedi Youngling

Feb 6, 2005
    Without a Paddle- Seth Green's character is a star wars geek. while riding through the forest on an ATV he said he was pretending he was ona a speeder bike. and when they were kids they all put an obhject in a box that meant a lot to them for them to find later in their lives. He put in a C-3PO action figure.

12. Master_Ikrik

Master_Ikrik Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2004
    In Robots there's one, it's a bad one though, totally out of place, but it's still there. (edited) oh and Alex, can you list them all?

13. dooku-ca-choo

Jun 5, 2004
    While reading some more comics, I came across another reference--this time in a place I wouldn't have expected. The book is called Persepolis and is an autobiographical story of a girl, Marji, growing up in Iran during the early '80s. At this point in the story the Iran/Iraq war is taking place and the author's family are taking into their home another (more wealthy) family whose house had been bombed by Iraqis. The arriving family has two young boys who are, apparently, big Star Wars fans. (click me)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.