main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Obsidian Game Set in the Dark Times?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by instantdeath, Feb 8, 2013.

1. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm not completely sure how this board feels on posting rumors... but this one is too interesting to pass up.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02...wars-rpg-game?abthid=511544e2524cd6584a000026

As the article states, it's only a pitch idea. Nonetheless, what do you think of it? Honestly, my first reaction is that the time period of the game would naturally limit the scope. But of course, this game doesn't have to be a sweeping analysis of the Force. It could just as easily be about a smuggler, or something. Or perhaps an Inquisitor working for Vader, but I can't help but wonder how that might effect the story for most players, since you'll be forever doomed to work under someone else. Perhaps they could attempt Alpha Protocol again, and have you be an Imperial Agent (I thought Alpha Protocol had a great skeleton, but was brought down by action oriented gameplay and bugs, so I wouldn't mind seeing them try it again)

I don't think setting another game in the Old Republic era would necessarily be a bad pitch. I still see people clamoring for Knights of the Old Republic III, after all. Nonetheless, while I'm very uncertain about the idea of a game set in the Dark Times, I'm also very intrigued. I'd love to see Telltale Games follow up on their comment that they'd like to do a Star Wars game as well; they're style is practically made for the Dark Times era.

2. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Anything that reuses elements from or otherwise resembles Alpha Protocol would be absolutely fine with me.

3. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I would love that...

4. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    If this was Alpha Protocol in Star Wars, I'd laugh, because Obsidian said they'd want to "get Alpha Protocol right", but then were told they couldn't produce a sequel. This would be a "stealth" (har har) way of getting that Alpha Protocol sequel out.

The Imperial Agent story is one of my favorites in TOR, and has some great ideas that could be used in a single player RPG.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Especially if it were an ACTUAL Imperial Agent and not an agent for some Rimkin band of barbarian dark side users.

6. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Add one part Imperial Agent, one part Agent of the Empire, one part Alpha Protocol, and stir well.

7. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I read about this on RockPaperShotgun. All I have to say is HELL YES.

8. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    the idea is interesting but I doubt it will happen...

they made TOR to resemble the movie era... so this one would be similiar to TOR in a lot of things and not worth it. besides it would be mostly noncanon anyway like Galaxies in that crowded an era, which again favors TOR which can be canon with a lot it creates.

TOR already lost many players and people can't afford spending more money than they already do, so they either play TOR or new one... few only doing both money and timewise... ergo, a Dark Times game would not produce enough money for them and thus will not happen... except after TOR is finished.

9. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    We're not talking about another MMO.

BoromirsFan and Ulicus like this.
  10. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

11. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Of course, many of us would love to see Obsidian take another whack at Alpha Protocol, but my fear at this stage is that Alpha Protocol could be their undoing. If what they are pitching is indeed super cool Imperial Agent game, I fear the executives would say, "You mean like Alpha Protocol? That game didn't sell very well".

Still, I definitely hope to see something like this. Anyone else have any ideas on what they could do in this time frame?

12. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
  13. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Contrary to popular belief, it did sell well. 700,000 copies, in fact. Just not as many copies as the executives wanted, or review scores as high as they'd hoped.

14. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    well, you may not, I am, cause the rumor wasn an MMO rumor. they said RPG in the above link... and those these days are an MMO usually sadly. I'd prefer a single player rpg myself to be honest too ;)

darthzac14 likes this.
  15. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    [face_praying] Please let this happen.

16. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Should this be in games?

17. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I definitely wouldn't expect Obsidian to do an MMO anytime soon. Lots of bug management involved :p

Seriously, though, these are the guys that are trying to make an old school RPG, a hybrid between Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate, and Icewind Dale, through Kickstarter. I definitely don't see them as the type to do an MMO. Plus, they will recognize it's bad business to have two Star Wars MMO's. In the article he mentions they didn't want to pitch an Old Republic game because TOR didn't do as well as expected; they won't make the even greater mistake of trying a new MMO.

Ah, that's far from the bomb I expected. For a new IP, that's fairly respectable.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  18. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Wut? The vast majority of RPGs are not MMOs..

Secondly, not only has Obsidian never made an MMO, their games are all single player, AFAIK.

Esg and Ulicus like this.
  19. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Would look forward to this if it happened.

20. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I thought about that, but I decided no (if a mod disagrees, they're free to move it, I'll only grumble a bit). I, at least, am not interested in discussing what the combat mechanics will be liked in this game. I'm interested in discussing and predicting what the story might concern. KOTOR and KOTOR II are discussed quite a bit in Lit, but it's always discussion about their story. TCW is discussed, but about how the show fits in with the rest of the EU.

So, all we can really talk about here is the story.

Ulicus likes this.
  21. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Strangely, the official statement implied the review scores were more to blame for the lack of a sequel.

22. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Alpha Protocols utterly f…. game play mechanics and controls are more to blame for that game not getting anywhere. I know I am being harsh here but I have plainly never been annoyed as much by a game I wanted to like then AP. As on the Obsidian pitch, isn’t 1313 already going to be set in the Dark Times? So maybe if it does well we might get more games set in that period.

23. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I hope so much for this.. So long as they don't get rushed just like KotORII

24. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    That's how I feel about Alpha Protocol. It had the makings of a truly great game, and had so many incredibly cool ideas, but was brought down by a plethora of bugs and somewhat bland gameplay. I feel like if they learned from their mistakes, they could make a great Alpha Protocol 2. Maybe this? As GrandAdmiralJello says, I'd love to play a real Imperial Agent. As much as I liked the Agent storyline in TOR, in ways it also felt like a prototype for another game. The agent plotline could have easily carried its own game, with gameplay catered to it.

25. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Alpha Protocol in Star Wars? Count me in.

I even liked the gameplay.

Ulicus and instantdeath like this.