main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Obsidian Game Set in the Dark Times?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by instantdeath, Feb 8, 2013.

1. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    There does seem to be an increase of interest of secret agents in the GFFA lately. From the Imperial Agent story in TOR becoming unexpectedly popular, to Agent of the Empire, to Zahn using an Imperial Agent as a main character in Scoundrels... I think people just like espionage stories. It's almost uncharted territory for RPG's, but also a goldmine.

2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    It was a proper RPG.

Don't put points in guns? LOL GOOD LUCK HITTING ANYTHING.

Put all your points in stealth? Congrats, your character can slip through any environment unnoticed even if you, yourself, are rubbish at stealth games.

I think the problem is that it was marketed at the Action-RPG crowd, who expected another Mass Effect, or for the stealth to be like MGS, and didn't understand that a lot of the abilities were going to be abstractions.

Zorrixor and instantdeath like this.
  3. Malachi108

Malachi108 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2009
    Is that how Disney is trying to bribe EU fans now?

4. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Yes, by maybe releasing quality products by quality developers. ***holes.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Wait, what did Uncharted have to do with espionage?

6. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    A new Obsidian Star Wars RPG written by my hero, Chris Avellone? Don't toy with my emotions, IGN.

7. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    That's what I loved most about it. Like the masses, I too went in expecting Mass Effect, and for the first hour I was wondering w.t.k. was going on. But once I realised how it worked? Loved every second.

Ever since RPGs went 3D, they just don't make them like this enough anymore.

Ulicus likes this.
  8. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm pretty sure Sully was a double agent for the Templars or something. .

At this stage, Disney has absolutely nothing to do with it. It's not even been pitched yet.

Took a look at that actually. Disney saying that they're looking to focus more on "mobile and social games" than console games is just... I don't even know. I personally see very little worth in mobile games, but what do I know. It's entirely possible I haven't played the right ones.

Obsidian certainly have a very interesting looking future ahead of them. I've been a South Park fan since I was a kid, and will check that out for curiosity if nothing else. I'm very interested in what they could do with a Wheel of Time game, and a new Star Wars game from them would purchase itself as far as I'm concerned. And of course Project Eternity sounds like a dream come true.

9. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    The rumor just says it is an RPG. Nothing is mentioned about it being an MMO. The vast majority of RPGs are not MMOs. Not sure why you are assuming this game is an MMO when they is not evidence to have that assumption yet.

10. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    More a matter of profitability than actual value, I think - small, low-risk investment with a high rate of return.

11. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    That's probably right, yeah. I have a tendency to look at things only from the artistic side and never from the business.

12. The Kulvax Sisters

The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master star 2

Jan 10, 2013
    This is my reaction, plainly put.

13. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I have played or read neither of the three, but I'm pretty sure you'd want it shaken, not stirred.

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Wait!! This could take place in a different time. I've always wanted an Imperial Knights game and this could be perfect

15. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Hmm let's see...my favorite star wars game kotor 2. Favorite comic series dark times...ALL MY MONEY!!!!!!

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  16. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Star Wars: Knights of the Empire?

:p

17. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Play as an Inquisitor? :D

18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Dark Forces: Jerec

19. KamSolusar

KamSolusar Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    A well-made Obsidian RPG set during the Dark Times sounds awesome. I'm sure Obsidian is more than capable of creating a great story in that era.

But I'm a bit afraid of the dimension of the continuity mess we could be facing when the live action TV series that's also going to take place during that era premieres in a few years.

20. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Can't screw continuity up any worse than TCW. Or the sequel trilogy.

Esg likes this.
  21. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I can't see continuity really being a problem. The live action show is, if I understand correctly, supposed to be a day in the life of various people who live in the GFFA. If Obsidian stuck with their own story, I can't see it contradicting anything.

22. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    This is really all I'd need to be happy.

23. KamSolusar

KamSolusar Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    You're right. It takes at least 2-3 years to develop a game, so by the time the game is published, we probably don't have to worry about antiquated things like continuity and canon anymore...[face_plain]

24. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    And it's a twenty-year gap That for the most part is empty. I don't see a problem.

25. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I NEED MORE LIKES TO GIVE TO THIS.