Lit Obsidian Game Set in the Dark Times?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by instantdeath, Feb 8, 2013.

1. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    There does seem to be an increase of interest of secret agents in the GFFA lately. From the Imperial Agent story in TOR becoming unexpectedly popular, to Agent of the Empire, to Zahn using an Imperial Agent as a main character in Scoundrels... I think people just like espionage stories. It's almost uncharted territory for RPG's, but also a goldmine.
    Last edited by instantdeath, Feb 8, 2013
  2. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    It was a proper RPG.

Don't put points in guns? LOL GOOD LUCK HITTING ANYTHING.

Put all your points in stealth? Congrats, your character can slip through any environment unnoticed even if you, yourself, are rubbish at stealth games.

I think the problem is that it was marketed at the Action-RPG crowd, who expected another Mass Effect, or for the stealth to be like MGS, and didn't understand that a lot of the abilities were going to be abstractions.
    Last edited by Ulicus, Feb 8, 2013
    Zorrixor and instantdeath like this.
  3. Malachi108 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Is that how Disney is trying to bribe EU fans now?
  4. JoinTheSchwarz Comms Admin & Community Manager

Administrator
    star 8
    Yes, by maybe releasing quality products by quality developers. ***holes.
  5. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Wait, what did Uncharted have to do with espionage?
  6. RC-1991 Force Ghost

star 4
    A new Obsidian Star Wars RPG written by my hero, Chris Avellone? Don't toy with my emotions, IGN.
  7. Zorrixor Chosen One

star 6
    That's what I loved most about it. Like the masses, I too went in expecting Mass Effect, and for the first hour I was wondering w.t.k. was going on. But once I realised how it worked? Loved every second.

Ever since RPGs went 3D, they just don't make them like this enough anymore.
    Ulicus likes this.
  8. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm pretty sure Sully was a double agent for the Templars or something. .

At this stage, Disney has absolutely nothing to do with it. It's not even been pitched yet.

Took a look at that actually. Disney saying that they're looking to focus more on "mobile and social games" than console games is just... I don't even know. I personally see very little worth in mobile games, but what do I know. It's entirely possible I haven't played the right ones.

Obsidian certainly have a very interesting looking future ahead of them. I've been a South Park fan since I was a kid, and will check that out for curiosity if nothing else. I'm very interested in what they could do with a Wheel of Time game, and a new Star Wars game from them would purchase itself as far as I'm concerned. And of course Project Eternity sounds like a dream come true.
    Last edited by instantdeath, Feb 8, 2013
  9. Fleab88 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    The rumor just says it is an RPG. Nothing is mentioned about it being an MMO. The vast majority of RPGs are not MMOs. Not sure why you are assuming this game is an MMO when they is not evidence to have that assumption yet.
  10. The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus

star 6
    More a matter of profitability than actual value, I think - small, low-risk investment with a high rate of return.
  11. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    That's probably right, yeah. I have a tendency to look at things only from the artistic side and never from the business.
  12. The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master

star 2
    This is my reaction, plainly put.
  13. Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group

VIP
    star 4
    I have played or read neither of the three, but I'm pretty sure you'd want it shaken, not stirred.
    Iron_lord likes this.
  14. darthzac14 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Wait!! This could take place in a different time. I've always wanted an Imperial Knights game and this could be perfect
  15. spicer Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Hmm let's see...my favorite star wars game kotor 2. Favorite comic series dark times...ALL MY MONEY!!!!!!
    GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  16. BoromirsFan Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Star Wars: Knights of the Empire?

:p
  17. DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Play as an Inquisitor? :D
  18. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    Dark Forces: Jerec
  19. KamSolusar Force Ghost

star 2
    A well-made Obsidian RPG set during the Dark Times sounds awesome. I'm sure Obsidian is more than capable of creating a great story in that era.

But I'm a bit afraid of the dimension of the continuity mess we could be facing when the live action TV series that's also going to take place during that era premieres in a few years.
  20. The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Can't screw continuity up any worse than TCW. Or the sequel trilogy.
    Esg likes this.
  21. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    I can't see continuity really being a problem. The live action show is, if I understand correctly, supposed to be a day in the life of various people who live in the GFFA. If Obsidian stuck with their own story, I can't see it contradicting anything.
  22. Dr. Steve Brule Force Ghost

star 4
    This is really all I'd need to be happy.
  23. KamSolusar Force Ghost

star 2
    You're right. It takes at least 2-3 years to develop a game, so by the time the game is published, we probably don't have to worry about antiquated things like continuity and canon anymore...[face_plain]
  24. darthzac14 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    And it's a twenty-year gap That for the most part is empty. I don't see a problem.
  25. Havac Some Guy Who Moderates Lit

Manager
    star 7
    I NEED MORE LIKES TO GIVE TO THIS.