main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OC Bios - Fanfics or not?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Mjsullivan, Aug 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mjsullivan

Mjsullivan Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2003
    Hello all - I am looking to post the personal biographies of my OC's to The Saga board, and I was just wondering whether or not I am allowed to post them as a standalone thread. Does a character biography come under the umbrella of fanfic?

To give you a general idea, I wrote this biography as an aid to writing my current epic, and when i was finished decided that (at something in the vicinity of 2000 words) it could stand alone as an interesting tale. Of course, if not, i'm happy to post the bios in the same thread as the story.

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated!

2. Fate

Fate Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    Well, I think it sounds like a good idea. ;) You might want to cross-link, so people that haven't read one or the other know where to find each.

Also, I'm sure you already know about them, but just in case:

The Original Character Database

The Original Character Alliance

Hopefully that helps. [face_mischief]

For freedom. For justice. Viva la Rebellion.

3. Mjsullivan

Dec 8, 2003
    Ta Fate ;)

I think i'll just post it up and see if it gets closed down or not. Then I'll find out one way or another :D

4. spiritgurl

spiritgurl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2003
    If it works out, it might be a good idea for a ffresource thread. For instance, create a thread index here for people's OC "biographies" like yours so that if other's want to try out the idea, they can all be found in this index. It could be sort of a challenge thread in a way, because you'd be challenging people to write these OC biographies but then they'd be posted in the story forums. Just a thought... :)

sg

5. Mjsullivan

Dec 8, 2003
    Ah, that sounds like a cool idea, Spiritgurl!

The Biography Channel, or something like that ;) Though i'm not quite sure how to go about setting something like that up...I assume you set some criteria and then create an Index to all the entries. Do they need to be mod-approved?

Hah, I'm just a fortress of questions tonight :p

6. spiritgurl

spiritgurl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2003
    Well maybe just talk to a mod and be sure it'll be okay to do a "biographies" thread like that. I think it depends on how it's done. Are the biographies fairly long stories or are they short and not set up like a regular fan fic/story but more done through an impersonal 3rd person POV?

EDIT: If they are meant to be long and storylike, I'd do an index with some instructions, if they are meant to be more like "biography channel" and are semi short you should probably set up a challenge thread for people to add their bios to.

Perhaps if you do this thread you'll need to post some instructions on how the biographies should be written, in this sense.

As for how to set it up, um... up to you, you could just leave it pretty loose and anyone who writes an OC biography can sumbit their link to the index, or you could create challenges where you are asking for short bios on certain types of characters. If you want to do challenges, and the bios are meant to be sort of short then you may want to set up a challenge thread for posts either here or in the saga forum (sort of like the Obi-Wan challenge thread)

sg

7. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    It really depends on how detailed these biographies are.

Why don't you send me an example of one and I'll look it over and discuss it with the other mods.

8. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    From the description, at least, it sounds more like the OC Database. Biographical information here in Resource is pretty detailed...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.