main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY October 2013 Book Club Poll: Back to Bantam!

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Yoda_Jammies, Jan 14, 2013.

?

What to read in October?

Poll closed Feb 4, 2013.
  1. The Truce at Bakura by Kathy Tyers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The Crystal Star by Vonda N. McIntyre

50.0%
  3. The Hutt Gambit: Book Two of the Han Solo Trilogy by A.C. Crispin

50.0%
  1. Lord_Zannah

Lord_Zannah Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Come on someone! Cast yer vote.. we only have today to break this TIE... [face_dancing]

2. mindtwister_138

mindtwister_138 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2002
    Oh wow. This one has been an intense battle, and if someone doesn't break the tie, it looks like Crystal Star will FINALLY get a little book club lovin'.

3. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    I'm calling this one for The Crystal Star. It will make for a good discussion.

Jammies

4. 11-11

11-11 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 17, 2007
    Yeessssssssss!!!!

5. mindtwister_138

Jul 19, 2002
    Dear Vonda,

we will finally be reading and discussing your book "The Crystal Star" for our book club. See, miracles can happen.....LOL!!!!

I am going to reread this so the story can be fresh in my mind by the time this comes through. I can't wait to discuss!

6. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    This will most certainly lead to a good discusion, and isn't that what BC is all about anyway?
    Besides, eventually, we will get to all the books anyway. I'm sure the Solo books will be back in the polls. :)

7. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    **SOBS UNCONTROLLABLY** :_|

8. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Mika my allegience is to the Book Club, to democrocy!

9. mindtwister_138

Jul 19, 2002
    LOL....I see what you did there!

We had better keep an eye on Mika. Now that Crystal Star has a spot in the club, he may turn to the Dark Side...lol!

10. Lord_Zannah

Lord_Zannah Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Got this one on our list of reads. You guys are epic!! "My allegiance is to the book club, to democracy"! .. Love it!! ^:)^

11. Commander APPO

Commander APPO Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 19, 2012
    Man got all those reads and not the ones were going to read.

That's OK we going out today and picking them all up.... (The ones that are on the list for reading this year)[face_laugh]

12. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    Yes, Crystal Star made the list...
    http://io9.com/5988376/the-12-worst-things-in-the-star-wars-expanded-universe

"2) The Crystal Star The most derided novel in the entire Expanded Universe, Vonda McIntyre's The Crystal Star includes both centaurs and werewolves (spelled "wyrwolves," because SCIENCE FICTION), and they stll aren't the dumbest things in the book. No, that honor would go to a surprisingly bitchy Luke, who — and this is all post-RotJ, by the way — joins a transparently evil cult led by a golden blob. The reason he does this — he's sad because he lost his Force powers because a sun died nearby, which is even more insulting than just joining a cult led by what is for all intents an purposes a Star Trek villain. Add the Solo kids gettign kidnapped for the umpteenth time and the millionth leftover rogue Imperial officer, and you have a book whose only distinguishing characteristics are its terrible ones."

13. mindtwister_138

Jul 19, 2002
    Goooood Stuff.....lol!

14. mindtwister_138

Jul 19, 2002
    Thanks for posting this article Mika! I checked it out and pretty much agree with the list, with a couple of exceptions, The Sun Crusher being one of those. It looks like the author listed them from best to worst. I had never heard of Mount Sorrow before (not a reader of the comics), and the whole Skippy the droid thing just reeks of idiocy. I like the other story where the reason R5-D4 malfunctioned was because of sabotage by R2. That will remain the true story of that droid in my mind.....lol.