October Meeting

Discussion in 'San Francisco, CA' started by Jedi_Tenken, Sep 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Tenken Force Ghost

star 4
    Alrightly lets get the ball rolling... I'm thinking South City. I have a couple ideas about location, Tanforan being the default, but does anyone else have an idea(s)?

Anyone ever been to Kome right near the Century 20 in Daly City? It an all you can eat place that has pretty fierfekking good Chinese and Japanese food and their lunch special is only like $11. With the Century 20 there we could catch a movie...

If it's at Tanforan, it's a micro jump away from Jackson Arms. ^^ Just saying... [face_whistling]
  2. Nebelwerfer Jedi Knight

star 3
    I can bring all my guns for that. Anyone who doesn't know how to shoot would be gladly traned by us. I vote for that!
  3. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    Depends on how close to Daly City BART the Century 20 is.

Shooting sports? Great!! Don't worry, I aim to miss. :p

Wanted to try the archery at the Renfaire, but didn't have enough time. Came in third the last archery contest I was in.

4. irishjedimaster Jedi Knight

star 1
    Its almost a crime not to do this
  5. Jedi_Tenken Force Ghost

star 4
    Tranforan it is... and it sounds like putting holes in things with hot metal projectiles propelled by a mixture of sulphur, charcoal, and potassium nitrate after. :) Unless there are any extreme objections? [face_worried]

If you've never fired a handgun before Tom, Russ, and myself have trained others before. It's starts off as scary but once you get use to it and get comfortable with the gun it's actually a lot of fun. Shooting of this nature is completely safe as long as you are safety minded, obey the rules of the range, and treat the weapon with the utmost respect. I consider tactical hand gun training essential in a society that's kinda bent on such weapons. As a practical matter of safety, it never hurts to learn more about a weapon as it pertains to using one in self-defense. I mean... afterall, we all love a movie called Star WARS where things are being shot at ALL the time. :D Imagine if Princess Leia was fumbling with a Blastech E-11 all the time... wouldn't be much of a heroine eh? So be a hero and let's frag some targets! ;)

Jackson Arms
    152 Utah Ave.
    South San Francisco, CA 94080

Business Hours:
    Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
    Saturday: 10:00am - 9:00pm
    Sunday: 10:00am - 7:00pm

Now... Date and time? Usually it's a weekend day after 1pm or so. Preferences? Rach, I think you said something about mid-month?

(Although it should be noted that Thursday night at Jackson Arms is: Group Night, 3rd shooter is free + 1 free handgun rental. ^^ (I doubt this is very feasible however...^^) and Monday night is ladies night 1/2 off the lane rental.)

Maybe we can have dinner afterwards too? Who knows... ^^

PS Eva also requested tactical handgun training from me so I know she wants to learn. I'd put that in the "yes" column for this lil event. ^^
  6. Jedi_Tenken Force Ghost

star 4
    Tom, what handguns do you have? I know you have a revolver (a .38 if I saw right). I've actually never used a revolver, you're gonna have to give me a clinic on it. :D

If there are many people who are interested maybe we can rent a couple of Glock 9s... It's a good starting gun.

Russ, you have a 9 right?

Fierfek I need a gun... I love my 55lbs compound bow but it's rather large and bulky. ^^
  7. Nebelwerfer Jedi Knight

star 3
    I have a .38 special revolver, a 12 guage shotty, and a .22 long rifle. I went to their website and said they no longer accomodate high powered rifles, so i think my .22 should be fine. I hope to god i dont have to work that day. A sunday would be better than a saturday for me.
  8. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    I can do either day on the weekend. Need an idea of what the costs are for the firing range, please.

I've fired a .357 Magnum, a Colt .45 automag, and a .264 rifle. Funny story with the rifle one--my ex is a jerk. He had me fire the rifle in the desert at night. I should have known, by how close he stood behind me, that when he said it 'might kick a little,' that I would end up on my butt on the ground. Didn't, but the kick of the gun made my shoulder numb and bruised, the muzzleflash lit up the desert for a few hundred yards and the noise made me deaf for three days.

Then he tells me that the .264 is what they used for field cannon in Vietnam!
  9. Tatooinepadme Jedi Knight

star 3
    I personally think I am going to skip the shooting thing. I try to be a non-violent person. I think meeting around Century 20 is actually a good idea. That way some of us could go to a movie while you boys are doing your shooting. The weekends I can do are Oct9-10, oct 19-17 or oct 23-24. I will be out of town the first and last weekends of the month. What time should we meet up?
  10. Jedi_Tenken Force Ghost

star 4

Actually as several people want to do the shooting Tanforan would be better as Jackson Arms is closer rather than Century 20. The act of shooting has nothing to do with violence, unless you're planning to shot someone. It's education, plain and simple, cos it's not the gun that harms people, it's the person behind it and their intent. I say it's better to be educated in such weapon tech... Better to know how to use one and not need to use it rather than to need to use one and not be educated about it. You're liable to hurt yourself or others if that's the case.:oops:
  11. Nebelwerfer Jedi Knight

star 3
    There are a lot of negative stereotypes of legal gun owners floating around out there that far from the truth.
  12. Jedi_Tenken Force Ghost

star 4
    Very true, that's why I was so thankful after I took that two-day defensive handgun course at Front Sight near Vegas. Anyone idiot can fire a gun (and those are the people that give them a bad name that end up on the news), but an consciously competent educated individual concerning fire arms will know how to use one and when to. I learned so much about handguns there but it wasn't limited to it's use. It was the ideals and strict adherence to respecting and controlling a firearm. More over all the consequences as well for discharging a weapon. In the end, no one is gonna be forced to learn about this but I always say that there is no such thing as bad information. It's how it's interpreted...
  13. irishjedimaster Jedi Knight

star 1
    Im setting my Glock to fun!

Yes, I have a Glock 19, a 9 mm handgun. I may also be able to procure a baretta .40 from a place I sometimes do work for (nature of work is up to your power of imagination!).

Brian Normandy (the dude who owns the place) is a cool cat, former sfpd officer and all that, but they brook, like, no nonsense.

Here is the site. Read the rules and what they expect. There aren't a lot, but they make you sign something saying you read them when you go in (if youve never been in before), so its best to get a heads up. If you dont want to shoot, you can still go in, but you gotta stand behind a line, which is boring. If you dont have a gun, you can borrow mine or perhaps from another of my compatriots so noted. But, you can only shoot one person per booth, so theres that line thing again. You can also rent one from the place, they have a metric tonne.

Heres a rundown on what to expect:
    1. Its loud. VERY loud. a handgun fires at about 896 m/s. The speed of sound is 343 m/s. So, yeah. The sound a jet makes when its breaking the speed of sound? Its like that, in miniature. Right in front of you. Thats why they make you wear ear protection. CAVEAT: Its still loud. You will probably jump a little when you hear it the first time. Our ears have the marvelous ability to adapt, tho, so it wont bother you overmuch for long.

2. It smells. sulpher and some other lovely things, folks. Its acrid. I love it, savor it like a fine wine, but I know its an aquired taste.

3. Its hot. Guns put off a lot of heat. Also, you will almost CERTAINLY be hit at some point with a spent cartridge, city talk for, like, a burning piece of metal. It hurts, but only for a second. You will get use to it.

I dont want to put anybody off, its really very fun, and I am not paid to be a spokesman, not even for my own company. I just want you all to know what this is.
  14. irishjedimaster Jedi Knight

star 1
    Oh, also, let me post again: Zombie-freaking-targets, people. They're like 3 dollars. This is a Public Service I have to do for... some things I did.

15. Taeriel Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm a bit unclear on this. Is the suggestion to have the meeting be a trip to a shooting range? Or to have the meeting separately at Tanforan and then interested parties can go afterward to the shooting range? I presume you're saying the latter, but want to make sure.

I'm with Rachel on this. Sorry, but guns aren't really my thing. I don't have any interest in them or in learning to shoot stuff. If we're going to have a meeting, the main meeting part should be something everyone wants to do. If part of the group wishes to go off for an additional activity afterward, then by all means go for it. The rest of us who don't want to go to the shooting range can stay together for a different activity if there is interest.
  16. Nebelwerfer Jedi Knight

star 3
    Allison, the shooting range is planned on being like an "after party". We propose that we would like to meet up somewhere on the peninsula, grab a bite to eat, have the meeting, then all interested parties could carpool to the shooting range, and those who do not with to join us could catch a movie, or head back home. :)
  17. Jedi_Tenken Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, that's fair Allison (and yes it's an after meeting activity, kinda hard to conduct a meeting with gunfire... lol), no one will be forced to do anything obviously but the suggestion has been thrown around too long not to be acted upon. I've seen that for the most part it's rather difficult to find something everyone is (forgive the turn of phase... ^^) "gun-ho" about here and just leaving after a meeting makes it less inclined for people to come out for.

There are only so many movies out there that we can all get excited about before such events become trite. So why not do something different? We will respect anyone's wishes to opt out of blasting some targets after the meeting if they wish to do something else or head back to their respective roosts. If someone else would like to take point and suggest something else people can do then that's fine as well. It's okay if we do different things... I think we've lost fact that we all don't have to do the same thing or same events. In fact I think it's completely great, our differences can be our strengths if we use them right but as long as people are having a good time then that the most important thing. :)
  18. Jedi_Tenken Force Ghost

star 4
    Baretta eh? :D The drill Sergeant at Front Sight had some choice words about Barettas "One fine crafted Italian piece of crap"... lol. Still, I've never fired one and would love to give it a go if you can borrow it Russ. If anything it's about the experience to expand my over all knowledge of firearms... Personally I've love to get a Baretta M93R. I <3 burst-mode! XD

Lemme add on to what Russ said but to ease some fears. ^^ It is loud, but you can either bring ear plug or ear covers OR buy the from the store for like $1.50. No big.

Safety glasses are recommended, I have several pairs I can bring, and even regular glasses are fine. This is due to the hot brass shell casings that are ejected after fired as the may take a hop in unpredictable directions. A baseball cap is also recommended for the same reason... Just don't freak out when the casing bounces or touches you, it's fine. Remember people go shooting ALL the time at these ranges and it is as safe as driving as long as your on top of things and obey the rules.

The temperture and smell, I never really notice these things as a factor but I suppose it could bother some. Ummm... breathe through your mouth? :confused: lol... Honestly, I don't think it's that bad.

Yep, be a lil scared if you've never fired a weapon, that's fine. That fear you have will keep you safe and from doing the wrong thing. If you don't know what to do, DON'T DO ANYTHING till someone with experience can help. Do no be rash and follow the rules and you'll be okay. I write them out later unless someone else wants to. Once you over come this natural initial fear (it's like learning to drive for the first time... kinda) you'll find it is truly a lot of fun. Driving is fun right? Well except in downtown SF... lol

Another note: if you have never fired a weapon before and choose to be cocky and seemlingly reckless I will personally refuse to train anyone who considers this a joke. The only joke will be on said individual when they cause what's called a "negligent discharge"... There are no "accidents" when it comes to firearms, you know they are dangerous and that should be good e
  19. Harlock415 Jedi Master

star 4
    On a note of events, the city of Campbell will be celebrating Oktoberfest on October 16th and 17th. Admission is free.

http://www.campbellchamber.com/pages/specialevents/oktoberfest.htm
    Campbell?s own Oktoberfest will be held on October 16 and 17, 2010 and will showcase mouthwatering savory German foods including Bratwurst, sauerkraut, pretzels and German potato salad, a variety of beers and ales

major sponsor of event is Spaten.
  20. Tatooinepadme Jedi Knight

star 3
    We need to work now on deciding on a date. I can do any of the middle three weekends in Oct. Let me know what dates work for everyone so we can hopefully pick a date that gives everyone enough advance notice to work with their schedules.
  21. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    The 17th, the 23 & 24, & 30 & 31 would work for me. We don't give out treats on Halloween at my house 'cause roomie thinks it's Satanic. :p

The best way to get hurt with a gun is to not know what to do with it.
  22. irishjedimaster Jedi Knight

star 1
    greetings from tel aviv, land of the Desert Eagle .45 cal man-slayer!

Im here today (tonight?), half a world away, to tell you that Baretta's suck out loud, no doubts. I will only use a Glock. BUT, guns are funny things. Well, not haha funny, but its like a lightsaber. Some swear by a certain kind, others have differing opinions, etc. I have known foolish individuals who even prefer a sig saur or (shudder) a taurus over a glock. These people are stupid, but my point stands.

Let me amend that. If I can't get a hold of a glock for some crazy reason, I will use anything made in Israel, like an uzi, desert eagle, or a jericho. That is because these people are crazy about weapons, and they work. Remember:

"Leonidas only threatened to send his women against the Persians. The Israelis actually did it". Priceless.
  23. irishjedimaster Jedi Knight

star 1
    Also, Lady Kenobi, the prices are on the link i posted, but rentals veary from 12.00/hour to 24.00/hour, depending on what you want to use. Ammunition costs extra, like 15.00/box, head phones and glasses cost extra to rent, and targets are like 3.00 per. Count on spending in the range of 40.00 or so if you walk in empty handed.

That being said, I am open to letting anyone use my baby, so long as you treat her with the respect she is due. It sounds like Ming has an extra pair of glasses, and I have an extra box of 9mm fmj American Eagle ammo (the only kind i use) that you can have. I stockpile these, as I fear the government.
  24. Jedi_Tenken Force Ghost

star 4
    These boards should have a "like" button. XD Who said that? I've known some Israeli women, you gotta respect a nation that trains everyone in their military in krav maga. Respect. Good poker players too. =D As they're mainly in desert their weapons are made to take lots of punishment as well as be resistant to jamming due to all the sand. Good stuff.

Fired the glock 9 on several occasions, it's a well rounded weapon... easy to shoot, lot's of rounds in the mag, and relatively little kick. A good starter gun to learn off of at the very least. Gah... guess I should start that defensive handgun training event thread eh? ^^ Was waiting for a date...

How's the 17th look for everyone for a meeting (and other stuff afterwards... ^^)??
  25. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    Shoulda checked my calendar before I posted my available dates. I am booked the weekend of the 17th. Sorry.

Any other weekend is good, tho.

Hmm, maybe I can handle a Glock. My wrist just isn't what it used to be when I was in my 20's.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.