main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Odd delivery of ESB line

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DARTHWEASEL17, Oct 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTHWEASEL17

DARTHWEASEL17 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 12, 2004
    In the scene where Vader is talking to the bounty hunters. Piett is talking to an officer and says

Piett: Bounty hunters, we don't need thier scum

Officer: Yes sir

It always seemed to me the officer was answering a command rather than agreeing with Piett. Is this poor delivery, or is it intentional to show how machine like the empire is.

2. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    Whether he believed what he said or not he was simply answering a command. I'm sure the lower level officers/crewmen know that it is in their best interests to agree with a superior.

3. Grand-Moff-Tarkin

Grand-Moff-Tarkin Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 26, 2004
    If you listen to the rest of the officer's lines after, "Yes, sir," he adds, "those rebels won't escape us." I used to miss that part too and also thought it sounded odd, but with the second line it makes a whole lot more sense.

4. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    "Those rebels won't escape us" was said by Piett, not the subordinate.

5. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Piett thought that the Imperials didn't need any help from the bounty hunters. He thought that the Imperials could capture the rebels by themselves.

6. TomPiltoff

TomPiltoff Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2005
    The military doesn't really let you say "Yeah, I know." "Yes sir" was the appropriate response.

7. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Personally, I like this line. It shows that Piett - for some unknown reason - hates bounty hunters and his subordinate doesn't know anything except that it is just best to agree with your superiors.

8. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Piett said that line rather unprofessionally, so therefore an officer of a lesser rank really wouldn't have much of a choice as to what to say to it. I mean, he certainly couldn't express his personal opinion on the issue because he wasn't asked for it, so he simply acknowledged it. It's not oddly delivered in the least bit.

9. darthvaderv

darthvaderv Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    ^ Agreed!

10. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    I used to think that line was odd, but now that i think about it, it makes perfect sense.

The officer saying "Yes sir" was agreeing with him. Since he couldn't go "Yeah, i know, Piett. We don't need those scums.", he simply went "yes sir".

11. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Piett: "Bounty Hunters! We don't need their scum."

Dude: "Yeppers."

Not the same...

12. loebs

loebs Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 4, 2005
    i thought the quote that was gonna be discussed was gonna be

"GOOD! OUR FIRST CATCH OF THE DAY!" haha

13. Grand-Moff-Tarkin

Grand-Moff-Tarkin Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 26, 2004
    My mistake on my poor memory. I think I had one too many beers in me. :D

14. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Was it really Piett that said that? It doesn't seem like him to say something like that. I always assumed that he was a professional guy just trying to do his job and stay away from Vader's wrath, but this line makes him sound more like one of the Empire's evil minions. I guess in that case he'd be more like Saul Karath from KOTOR.

15. soriano329

soriano329 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2005
    by saying "bounty hunters, we don't need their scum." he was really saying that he wants them removed from the ship.

16. Darthdias

Darthdias Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 12, 2004
    I wouldn't call it evil, just prejudiced (sp?). Just because a person has rather contemptful wiews of a certain group doesn't exactly make him evil, but certainly a bit ignorant.

17. BrideofVader

BrideofVader Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2005
    Piett and his crew were looking for the Millenium Falcon. By saying that, he was saying that they could find the Falcon without the bounty hunter scum Vader had dug up to find the Falcon. Hence: "Those Rebels won't escape us."

18. CaptainYossarian

CaptainYossarian Jedi Master star 3

Mar 30, 2003
    Also it's:

"Bounty hunters. We don't need that scum."

19. VaderGuy

VaderGuy Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2005
    either way, i dunno about you but i wouldnt wanna mess with piett

20. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Okay maybe not evil...but I always assumed that Piett was above that kind of prejudice, you know? Saul Karath was the commander of the Sith fleet, and would ruthlessly hunt down his enemies. However, whenever he was confronted by Darth Malak, he becomes much more of a coward.

My point is that if it was really Piett that said that thing about the bounty hunters, and yelled "Increase forward firepower!!" then that means he did have that ruthless side to him and was not the calm, cool guy I thought he was.

21. Mr_Burns

Mr_Burns Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 12, 2001
    Dialogue: "Yes sir."

Thoughts: "Oh, bloody hell, the Admiral's on about the bleedin' bounty hunters again..."

I agree with Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa on this issue.

22. Oracle_Ye_Prophecy

Oracle_Ye_Prophecy Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 15, 2004
    It just goes to express the lifeless in-human military ways of the Empire.

23. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    My heavens...someone is actually criticizing the dialogue/acting in the holy ESB.

Don't you know -- the dialogue/acting in ESB is flawless and beyond reproach? That when Luke whines once hooking up with Yoda, he's not really whining, just complaining? That "You stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking nerf-herder!" is an incredibly witty piece of dialogue worthy of Gable and Lombard?

You'll learn.

24. MANDALORIAN

MANDALORIAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 1999

It would have been funny if he said "yes Sir" then turned to the other men and rolled his eyes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.