main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ODDS in Insider 87 (Controversial Issues Abound)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by razzy1319, Apr 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

By the porking pigs of Gamorr, I finally understand what the fuss is about! I wasn't paying much attention last year. It's the Erikson books, they demand full concentration if you hope to understand what the smurf is going on by midpoint of those thousand pagers. I hope it's not too late, can I propose my equally valid and totally carefree speculation?

Why is 3m insufficient? People are assuming because it's a galaxywide conflict, there must be hundreds of bushfires everywhere.

Think of it as America. She or he's got an approx 3m army, according to my New Age-class '80s encyclopedia (what a funny name, "encyclopdeia"!), but so does Vietnam for that matter. Does the baseballers need to fight a world war all over the globe? If the ginger-addicted Lizards are concentrating on specific regions, you don't need to mobilise more of that 6 billion natives, do you?

Ah, fester it all. I can't be bothered. The Clone War was presented so superficially, so artificially, I just can't artifact too much interest. [face_batting]

2. Jon_Bidinger

Jon_Bidinger Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 18, 2003
    Yes Ex, and those ginger-addicted Lizards conquered Australia among other places :D

3. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

The outrage. I noticed that! But hey, they wanted a desert, that's what they got. Had they stayed until 2000, out GST would have crippled their economy. I know you're shouldn't laugh at your own jokes . . . but there are times I just have to. [face_laugh]

:(

4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    So what's the solution anyone think?

5. Cynical

Cynical Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 5, 2004
    I don't particulary care, and to get back on topic, I think this will be an entertaining read no matter the retcons that get included. (now if I could just get Insider in my part of the world...oh well, let's hope for it in the next RC novel.)

6. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    References to Odds, solution to manpower problems in a war, likely not more clones...

Silicates!

7. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    >>>The answer is there in the title of the blog entry. <<<

Back on topic, I think she may be aluding to this blog: New short fiction comin' right up...., which had the tagline "Lies, damned lies, and intel."

So, is she going to say that the 3 million number was propaganda or bad intel, or is she going to go the other way and say that the Seppies were lying and that they didn't have the uber-amount of droids that they claimed. [face_thinking]

However, that one seems too obvious...

8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000

hear hear. There's more important things to think about, like how characters go to the bathroom on the Falcon.

9. Kenobi_Kid

Kenobi_Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    There is no issue. Just someone freaking out over Karen again.:p

10. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    They should stop showing us the clones all the time, we already knew from the ep 2 novel and shatterpoint that there arn't a lot of them. :/ I want to see more of the militas, they are propely far cooler then a few vat grown and mentally tempered with copies of a bounty hunter, anyway. :(

11. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    Not so far as we've seen...[face_mischief]

12. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    All glory to the Race and long live Fleetlord Atvar.

And nice to see Traviss hasn't lost any of her arrogance. "Oh, I spent a few years in the territorial army during peacetime so I have a horrifying first-hand knowledge of war that enables me to see things the poor civilian authors just couldn't possibly understand. I mean, I can't believe no EU author has ever thought of the idea that Palpatinr might lie in war time!"

And be honest, does anyone honetsly think Traviss would change her mind after all this? If anything, I bet we'll just be given some stupid [removed profanity] answer like "3 million was actually referring just to the number or clone troopers who left the army aftet the end pf the clone wars, were given secret age-resisting treatments, and joined Boba Fett's elite bodygaurd that you'll see in LOTF."

13. Commander5052

Commander5052 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2005
  14. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Jul 18, 2005
    Return baiting.

15. Commander5052

Commander5052 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    I'm a one of the less-zealous Fandos, Legs.
    And I'm Jewish.
    So as such, that's kind of mean to call me that which nearly killed my grandfather.

16. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Jul 18, 2005
    "less-Zealous Fandos" is an oxymoron. And it's strange that you'd be so active in defending a race that's been established as committing genocide yet feel so defensive when called on it.

Also interesting that the Fandos go on and on and on about hos they value strength and all that "warrior" nonsense yet are the first ones to call foul when their feelings are hurt.

17. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Karen will do what Karen will do, and there's nothing any of us can do except *itch about it...

I find that state of affairs pleasantly amusing, actually... :)

Then again, maybe it's a British thing... [face_whistling] :D

People are so besotted with really big figures; the apparently unthinking ease with which people call mile-long battleships "small" never ceases to bewilder me...

*shrugs* For all we know, she'll be a true pro about it, retconn the "noble three million" out of sight, and throw in a passing reference to Star Dreadnoughts, too...

- The Imperial Ewok

18. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Imperator-class Star Dreadnoughts, just to make things more confusing :D

19. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Razzy: I'm confused. You start a thread to talk about a "Controversial Issue," and when the discussion starts, you call for a lock? :confused:

Matt: Unfortunately, what Traviss is insisting is that there were only 3 million clones, no more.

As for Traviss's work... she's a very talented writer, to be fair, and her prose and dialog are top-notch. I can't speak for anyone else, but the problems I have with her writing began with Triple Zero (of no relation to my username) where she uses characters as mouthpieces for her personal ideas and morality, focuses on Mandalorians far too heavily, and injects heavy amounts of Mandalorian-ness (for lack of a better word) into the culture of the Grand Army at large. Triple Zero, while very well written from a technical standpoint, suffered from numerous dramatic flaws, plotholes, contradictions in logic, and a fixation on Mandalorians. The plot was also very basic when boiled down.

Sinerebirth: I wouldn't mind saying the clones were in reality a tiny, tiny fraction of the entire military and functioned as elite marines (much like Stormtroopers), if the entire EU hadn't already portrayed them as the backbone of the entire Republic military. They're soldiers, sailers, engineers, pilots, quartermasters, everything. Plus, if clones are only .001% of the military, then why call it the Clone War?

Charlemagne: The best solution in my book would be to toss out the 3 million number and forget about it, or call it the number of clones available in the very first days of the war. There's already a number of other better numbers, including one describing a million divisions of clones available at the start of the war from ITW:AotC.

Rogue: I hope she doesn't try and drop the number of droids down.

Thrawn: Well, you brits always had a weird sense of humor... :p

I highly doubt she'll "be a pro" about it, though.

Oh, and, Ex: How'd those books turn out? I stopped reading after #2, for whatever reason-- I remember them being good fun, if a little cliche'd. And containing the most awkward sex scenes... ever.

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The thread will not be locked at this time; barring a couple of baits above, the discussion is generally within tolerable limits, though if we could shy away from the line a little further than people have it'd also be appreciated. ;)

21. razzy1319

razzy1319 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2004
    OOO: it was a warning, you knew going in here you would start the whole numbers debate thing again, you knew some of what you were saying are gonna rile up the extremists. I was asking for ideas and you gave opinions that were beyond the topic, opinions that were already expressed each and every mando/clone centered thread for godsake.

dont you ever get tired of that solicitor at the door that keeps telling you that youre going to hell because you havent got god in your life everytime you freaking meet?:D

DP$M: cant you find the other thread this reeks of hate and negative vibes...[face_laugh]

22. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    So... basically, I'm supposed to stay out of your threads? I'm not allowed to give my opinion, or to repost things Traviss herself said? I'm still confused.

23. razzy1319

razzy1319 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2004
    You add to the discussion of the topic not repost your opinions. your opinions are welcome too...on the subject of course.

24. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Alright, then we shouldn't have a problem in that case. :)

25. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    Still hanging on to that "genocide" thing, eh?o_O

It's interesting that you should automatically attribute the negative reactions your comments always receive to "hurt feelings", but then, I suppose that since that's how you seem to think, you must imagine that we're driven by the same logic (or lack thereof).

To quote C.S. Lewis on a warrior, "hard blows or courteous words should be his only language". Perhaps that will help ease your confusion a mite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.