main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Of all the droids in the galaxy... (Missing moment from ANH, Obi-Wan, Luke, R2 D2 )

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by kataja, Mar 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Title: Of all the droids in the galaxy
    Author: Kataja
    Timeframe: = 0 ABY, inside ANH
    Characters: Ben, Luke R2-D2
    Genre: Vignette, contemplation
    Summary: When Luke has fallen asleep on the way to Mos Eisly, Obi-Wan contemplates on past and present, the future and the strange ways of the Force.

The cold came with the night.

Luke had been driving the land speeder for hours. He hadn?t said many words, just kept on driving in suppressed fury, but now it was obvious that he was close to collapsing. His neckline was tensing by the effort to remain upright, and eyes were blinking, stubbornly refusing to give in to the sleep that was threatening to overwhelm him. Ben?s hand stretched out to rest over his. The boy stirred involuntarily and the speeder made a small bump.

?Perhaps it?s time to switch places for a while,? the old man suggested gently.
    ?You could probably use a few hours sleep.?

?I can go on. I?m not tired.? Luke insisted stubbornly. ?You just go ahead and get some sleep first. We can change when you wake up.?
    He tried to suppress a shiver when the night chill sneaked in under his tunic.

Ben smiled at the boy?s obstinacy. How familiar it felt! But instead of a smart retort, as he once would have done, he kept his voice mild and patted the hand squeezing the control stick.

?You take my advice, Luke, and get some sleep. I?ll drive meanwhile. You know, at my age one doesn?t need that much sleep.?

Those big eyes turned towards him. Blue eyes, so much alike. As open, as vulnerable and wondering. No. There was a difference. Luke?s eyes were just that; wondering. There was a mildness, a softness in them that Anakin had never had. Ben swallowed a lump and wondered whether it was a trait that would benefit the child or the contrary; bring him to his doom.
    There was no way knowing it yet.

He patted the young hand again.
    ?Get some sleep, Luke,? he repeated. ?Even your cyborg droid is deactivated.?

Luke sighed in exasperation and rolled his eyes. There was that anger again that wanted out. But then the boy suddenly yielded. Obi-Wan found himself wondering again whether it was a weakness or a strength.

?All right,? Luke muttered grumpily. ?If you say so. But wake me in a couple of hours, ok??

The speeder stopped and they changed places. Luke brought his poncho up around him and stretched his legs out in front of him. In less than a minute he was asleep.

Ben smiled gently at the form at his side. The rest would do the boy good. Far too little had he been allowed to experience through his first nineteen years, but now instead, too many foul things had happened at once. He placed his hand on Luke?s temple and reached out for the Force.
    ?Peaceful sleep,? he whispered. ?Peaceful sleep.?
    A shiver went through the young body, but he was already too far in his sleep to wake up.

A beep made the old man turn around. The R2 unit was watching him with its mechanic photoreceptors, and a cold shiver went through Kenobi. He had begun to suspect it almost the moment they met, but it seemed so unbelievable. Of all the droids in the galaxy, could it really be??

He cleared his throat.
    ?R2??

A soft beep. Unmistakably affirmative. That is, if droid communication could be unmistakable in the first place. But this very droid, Kenobi reminded himself, had always been different. Anakin had always treated it almost like a living creature.
    ?It?s astonishing!? he murmured. ?And to think that your memory is intact after all these years.?

Again an affirmative beep.

Ben smiled softly.
    ?And of all the droids it happened to be you who would be chosen for this mission. And you would end up with him! The ways of the Force are truly wonderful! Are you happy that Luke is your new master now??

This time it wasn?t just an affirmative beep but also a long happy thrill.

?Should I understand it that you downright like him??

Eager beeping and whistling. And a question.

?Yes. I like him too. Very much.?
    Kenobi swallowed hard.
    ?But we have to take good care of him R2. Take really good

2. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Wonderful vignette! You do have to wonder exactly what Obi-Wan was thinking when he really realized who those two droids were. And I love the way he talks to R2... you can just hear those affirmative beeps. :)

3. Teresa

Teresa Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 9, 2007
    That was a lovely moment between Obi-Wan and R2! I've often thought that he did worry about what effect learning the truth about his father and sister too fast would have had on Luke. It's a pity they didn't have more time, but at least Obi-Wan knew that R2 and C3PO would be there for Luke and Leia if anything happened to him. Thanks for the vignette! :D

4. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    What a perfect and unique missing moment! Absolutely lovely!

He cleared his throat.
    ?R2??

A soft beep. Unmistakably affirmative. That is, if droid communication could be unmistakable in the first place. But this very droid, Kenobi reminded himself, had always been different. Anakin had always treated it almost like a living creature.
    ?It?s astonishing!? he murmured. ?And to think that your memory is intact after all these years.?

Ben smiled softly.
    ?And of all the droids it happened to be you who would be chosen for this mission. And you would end up with him! The ways of the Force are truly wonderful! Are you happy that Luke is your new master now??

Kenobi swallowed hard.
    ?But we have to take good care of him R2. Take really good care of him??

Just wow! =D=

5. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    Those big eyes turned towards him. Blue eyes, so much alike. As open, as vulnerable and wondering. No. There was a difference. Luke?s eyes were just that; wondering. There was a mildness, a softness in them that Anakin had never had. Ben swallowed a lump and wondered whether it was a trait that would benefit the child or the contrary; bring him to his doom.
    There was no way knowing it yet.

This was such a wonderful missing scene, written beautifully!@};- I absolutely loved it!![face_love] Adored the whole thing, Ben's thoughts on Luke, his conversation with Artoo. Just brillant!![:D]
    =D= =D= =D= =D=

6. padawan_learner86

padawan_learner86 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 23, 2005
    This is so very thoughtful and touching! ^^
    I feel for Ben, I really do. Good old R2 :D

?Perhaps you can help me R2? If you stand by him, as faithfully as you stood by his father? Show him your confidence? I?ve noticed that he shows you the same affection as Anakin did. Maybe it?s natural for a Skywalker. And that softness and kindness, I can?t but understand it as a good thing, R2. Take care of him for me if something happens, will you??

7. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    I really liked this! :D Very nice introspection into Obi-Wan's ideas and fears for Luke and Leia. :)

Plus Artoo is awesome. [face_love] haha.

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I adore missing moments and this one is perfect. Bravo!!!! =D= @};- Huggles!!!

9. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    loved this missing moment. with Obi-Wan talking to R2D2

10. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Shrunken Jedi Thank you so much! I'm glad you think the "dialogue" works, LOL. I guess there would be a lot of R2 and C-3PO units in the galaxy, and I don't think Obi Wan one to usually pay that much attention to droids. But he'd know these two droids were in Alderanian, and probably royal possession, so he must have figuered it out at some point. I think Obi-Wan would feel quite humble, a droid had the same memory as he had himself.

Teresa Thank you for reading and feedback! :) I guess I wrote this fic a bit to comfort myself too, LOL. The prequel certainly gives a depth to whan musings Ben would have. Before they came, I guess I wouldn't even have tried to figure out why he'd keep so many secrets from Luke...

VaderLVR64 That's lovely to hear. Thank you so much!

dancing_star I'm glad you liked it! Thank's for reading!

padawan_learner86 Yes, they are two truly sympathetic characters. I thought they deserved a scene together... Glad you enjoyed it!

Jaina_and_JagThank you. Isn't R2 is always awesome;)? Just put him in a fic and it better all
    ready, LOL!:p

Jade_eyes Glad you enjoyed this reading too!

earlybird-obi-wan Thank you. Glad you liked it!

11. obsessedwithSW

obsessedwithSW Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    He cleared his throat.
    ?R2??

Ben smiled softly.

Kenobi swallowed hard.
    ?But we have to take good care of him R2. Take really good care
    of him??

Great idea! the viggie had a intimacy that I just loved for both Ben and R2. It set a sad but hopeful tone that fits perfectly within the larger story of ANH. Good job!

12. kataja

May 4, 2007
    obsessedwithSW Thank you! Glad you liked it! I got the idea from Anakin's comment to Obi Wan in RotS, where he tells him not to joke on Artoo's behalf. I started to think it was such an irony that Ben has belittled Artoo and yet has to rely on him so much twenty years.
    And thanks for commenting!

13. Ocelotl_Nesto

Ocelotl_Nesto Jedi Master star 4

Oct 29, 2004
    Well done on that "lost moment"

14. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Ocelotl_Nesto Thank you! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.