main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Of Dathomir and The Force

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Losaand-Vreste, Feb 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Losaand-Vreste

Losaand-Vreste Jedi Youngling

Mar 3, 2014
    After careful rewatching of the Clone Wars (2008-2013), I began having thoughts concerning Mother Talzin and the Nightsisters of Dathomir as they now stand in the canon. Mainly, I have questions on how they all connect to the Force.

As I have watched, Nightsister magic seems to be ambigious with how it relates to the Force. At times, it seems to have characteristics of a force-sensitive using the Dark Side. For example, during the Battle of Dathomir, Talzin was able to conjure lightning from her fingertips. There are examples of three beings born to the Witches who have become trained in "The Jedi Arts", such as Asajj and Darth Maul

Yet, there is the question of the green mist that the witches use in their "spells" that seem unlike the Force, such as turning Savage Opress into a musclebound monster.

Please discuss. How do the Dathomirians and their magic relate to the force as a whole? All theories welcomed

2. Darth Dreadwar

Darth Dreadwar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 26, 2010
    Well, Legends material has already explored its relation to the Force pretty thoroughly, interpreting the spirit ichor as being the channeled essence of the Ones of Mortis, with Dathomir being a unique place in the galaxy - an area where spacetime is weakened - allowing for such.

Obviously the implication from TCW and the follow-on comics is that the energy we see is captured Living Force, with Talzin being composed of such. Thus, she steals her powers from others, hence her not being a natural Force-user. I'm happy to think that the pervading spirit ichor on Dathomir is a stream composed of the psyches and remaining Force powers of previous witches and sacrificed Force users, something similar to the Aing-Tii interpretation of the Force in the LU, and the Witches tap into that in a similar way to how the Book of Sith describes Sith sorcerers as giving voice to the sorcerers who went before them when they utilise spells. The Force is ultimately created by life, and all life upon death adds to its field; magic, be it Sith or Nightsister, would be just a systematised and honed application, channelling the Living Force of Force users before it's able to fully percolate and lose coherence in the 'background noise' of the Force (so more recently after the death of Force users, or from stealing it from the living while they yet live).

Sudooku and Iron_lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.