main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Of Sand and Lightening ~ L/M~ Mush-ish ~SJRS Details Challenge: For JediMara77

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by mavjade , Dec 31, 2011.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Title: Of Sand and Lightening
    Author: mavjade
    Genre: Mushy-ish
    Timeline: 25 years after the battle of Endor
    Characters: Luke/ Mara, of course!
    Summary: Luke and Mara exchange presents for Endor Day. Did Luke go the wrong direction with his gift, or is there more to it than it initially seems.
    Notes: For the SJRS December Details Challenge. I got JediMara77's details. I apologize that it's right at the end of the month. I hope you enjoy and that it's worth the wait! :) [:D]
    Details are at the bottom.

5/10/15 - Truncation fix

~*~*~*~
    Endor Day had always been a big celebration throughout the galaxy; there were always parties Luke was encouraged to attend by his sister, memorials for those who had fallen in the many battles to bring down the Empire, huge firework displays always lit up the night sky of every planet Luke had been on during what usually turned into a weekend long celebration.

This year was going to be different; the 25th anniversary celebration had been planned for years in advanced by a special committee appointed by the Chief of State himself. The sole purpose for the committee was to plan the events and possible future events for such an historic day. They organized entertainment, the memorials and which famous face of the Rebellion should attend what ceremonies and parties; they had given Luke an itinerary for him to approve half a year ago.

Luke was not exactly sure when people started giving gifts for the holiday, but it was part of the celebration he and Mara usually did not observe, they both felt uncomfortable exchanging gifts for such a day. This year, Luke felt different, he thought that he should get his wife something for such a momentous anniversary. The only problem he had was, he did not know what to get for the woman whose only father like figure she had known growing up died that day. Luke knew she was happy with her life as it was now, happy that she had escaped when she did, but there was always a sadness to her on Endor Day, or as she liked to call it "Palpatine's Death Day".

"It's not as if I'm upset that he's dead, or that the Empire was overthrown," she had told him once when he managed to get her to open up about what she was feeling, "But it doesn't feel right for me to celebrate either.

"Part of me wishes I could blow him up myself, for taking away everything that could have been," she told Luke. "Who knows what I could have done, could have been; I could have had parents, people who loved me as I was growing up. But then, there is the part of me that knows I wouldn't have what I have today: you, my friends, people that love me now, for who I am and he helped make me that person. He was never kind, never loving, but it was all I knew and I loved him for it. Still love him for it, in a way and I hate myself for that. Every time I think about it, think about him..."

She never finished her sentence, but Luke did not need her to do so, he understood exactly what she was saying and in some ways he felt the same. He lost a great deal because of the Emperor, but he gained a lot, too. Friends he probably would have never made, places he'd been, things he'd done might never have happened if it weren't for Palpatine. He did not have the same almost loving feeling that conflicted his wife, but he was conflicted none the less.

They never brought the discussion up again and continued to celebrate like everyone else, pretending that Endor Day was the best day of the year, every year, but both knowing their mixed feelings.

~*~*~*~

The party after the big ceremony on Endor was in full swing and Luke found that he was actually enjoying himself for once. He could have done without the commemorative medal he had received at the ceremony but he took comfort in the fact that many of his friends and family also had been pulled up on a stage and embarrassed fully. Now, he was able to mingle and catch up with old friends he had not seen in some time.

"Having a good time, Skywalker?" a sultry voice asked from behind him as he was taking a break from all of the mingling.

"Actually, I am," Luke said without turning around.

"Oh," she whispered in his ear, the warm air of her voice sending shivers down his spine. "So then you wouldn't be interested in cutting out a little early?"

"I might be persuaded," Luke said still watching everyone as they milled about. "After all there are more parties to attend this weekend, but what would my wife say?"

"I think she would say you need to relax and live a little."

Luke turned around, "Oh she would, would she?"

Mara smiled at her husband, "I think she might. Or she might tell you she has something she wants to give you and she doesn't want to do it in front of all these people."

Smiling, Luke gestured to the ramp that would lead them to the tree hut they were occupying for the weekend, "Well then far be it for me to get in her way."

Once they arrived back at the hut, Luke sat down on the bed that was in the middle of the room and patted the space beside him indicating he wanted Mara to sit beside him. "I know we don't usually do this but, I thought this year might be different."

Mara smiled, glad she went with her need to buy Luke something special this year. She reached around to the side table to retrieve a small package. "I thought so too," she smiled as she handed Luke the gift.

Carefully pulling at the string holding the wrapping on, Luke opened the gift and was astonished at what he saw underneath, "Is this..."

"An Elder Council Sash? Yes."

"But how? The only way to gain one of these sashes was to become part of the Elder Council, something they would never allow an outsider to become" Luke said, confusion and wonder evident in his voice.

"It was Chief Chirpa's," Mara explained. "Though he died during the Battle of Endor, his daughter, Kneesaa always felt a debt to you for your part in the battle. She wanted to give it to you herself but felt as though it would be frowned upon by the other Elders, so she asked me to give it to you. She said her father would have wanted you to have it."

"I don't know what to say, this is amazing," he said looking at his wife, his eyes twinkling with wonder and love.

"I know it's not something that I actually got you, but..."

"But you did, and it's wonderful," Luke said interrupting her. "Thank you, Mara."

Luke leaned in to kiss her briefly and then pulled away. "Now it's my turn," he said with a bright smile. He pulled a box from under the bed and handed it to his wife.

Mara took the box from him and looked at it carefully. It was a plain gift box, but it was rather heavy. She opened the top and looked down into the box, but was confused by what she found.

"Exploding Emperor," she read off the packaging as she lifted it out of the box, her nose wrinkling in disgust the more she read. "Now you too can be a part of the Rebellion, with your own Death Star and Emperor. Includes minor explosives.... Luke what--" She did not know what to say exactly. She had no idea what her husband was thinking when he bought her this gift.

Luke looked at Mara's face and realized he needed to explain and quickly before he was knocking on Leia and Han's hut asking to bunk with them. "I know how conflicted you feel, we talked about it once, remember?"

Mara nodded, knowing that if she opened her mouth to say anything she might say something she would regret. Luke was a very thoughtful man and she knew there was a reason behind the gift that she still was quite upset about.

"I know how he is a part of you, but how you also wish he never was. This is for your inner child that you never got to be. You can do with him as you wish; take out your frustrations and be a part of the rebellion like the packaging says or just throw it away because he doesn't matter any more, because we're here, together."

Luke picked up Mara's hand from where it was gripping the packing tightly. "I didn't mean to make you upset. I just wanted to give you something that might help, and might be a little funny at the same time--"

Mara frowned at his insinuation that the situation was amusing.

"Too soon?" he asked.

"No," Mara face relaxed as she took in everything that Luke had said to her. She reached up to pull him into a gentle kiss. "No, it's perfect. At least after the explanation, it is. It's not funny because it's true. Thank you, Luke."

"Good," Luke sighed, happy that she understood and was not about to renew her vow to kill him. "Because there's more," he said gesturing to the box that was sitting in between them.

Mara looked down at the box with a little trepidation, "Don't tell me, 'Palpatine: Now with more Force Lightening action'?"

Chuckling, Luke shook his head, "Nothing like that."

"Good thinking, Skywalker," Mara laughed as she picked up the box, remembering how heavy it was. Inside there was another box that had an outer shell with some exotic fabric she was sure she could place if she really took the time to study it, but she was more interested in what was inside the box.

Opening the smaller box she pulled out a sculpture. It was very jagged, with little finger like projections coming off the main branch. It was a green-blue color and while Mara was not sure what exactly it was, it was beautiful. "Oh, Luke.."

"They are made from when lightening hits sand. The sand that made this particular one is from Tatooine," he said with a shy smile.

"But it doesn't lightening on Tatooine," Mara said, confused.

Luke shook his head, "No, it doesn't. But the Force..."

He didn't need to say any more, Mara understood him completely. This sculpture represented her; her past in the lightening and her present and future in the sands of Tatooine. She looked at her husband in awe, not knowing what to say. The gifts he had given her on a day that always caused her so much confusion and worry were perfect. She did her best not to let her emotions overwhelm her, but she could not help the one lone tear that ran down her face. "Thank you," she said as her voice cracked just a little.

"Anything for you, my love," Luke said as he leaned in to kiss her once more. "I hope this helps, even just a little."

"It more than helps," she said pulling him into a deeper kiss, "It's everything."

Fin

Details:
    1) What is the name of the holiday? Endor Day, although Mara likes to call it "Palpatine's Death Day"
    2) What does Mara give Luke as a present? a ceremonial Ewok sash
    3) What is Mara's reaction to Luke's gift to her? to wrinkle her nose in disgust

2. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Oh, yay! I like what you did with the details. :) Luke is always able to give Mara what she needs. Did you get the idea of the glass from Sweet Home Alabama? ;)

I want that Palpatine playset! [face_laugh]

3. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Very nice. I could see how the Battle of Endor would be conflicting for everyone involved. Luke lost his father, Mara lost Palpatine...it would make the celebration bittersweet. Nicely done!

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Mav! Hi! Very excellent and tenderly bittersweet response to the details in the request. =D= Each gift shows a loving empathy and warm caring - I love the tone of soft teasing and affection.

Perfect level of mushy-ishness. [face_laugh]

@};-

5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Loved this bittersweet piece with all the details and Tatooine[face_dancing]

6. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Hi! I am so very glad you got this up! It was very fun read. I loved the conflicting emotions about the holiday, very much in character. And I LOVED the Palpy play-set! [face_laugh]

7. Mondra

Mondra Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2010
    I think my face looks weird when I try not to laugh during office hours... If those Palpatine play sets were there when I was a kid I'd never want aanythign else for Christmas! I'd even want one now... :D

Loved it!

8. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I like the complicated relationship they each have with Palpatine. And Luke's gifts are great! Nice work!

9. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Those were really some great gifts :D

Exploding Palpatine
    [face_laugh]

10. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    hahahahaha, I need that exploding Palpatine playset so I can blow him up! I hate that old walking corpse!!! I like that L/M can make light of their pasts--that's not always easy to accomplish!!

11. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Thanks everyone! I'm glad you all liked the Palpatine play set! That was a shower inspiration! :p

JediMara77: Oh, yay! I like what you did with the details.
    :) I'm glad you liked it! I was worried about Mara's reaction and how it didn't stay disgust for long.

Luke is always able to give Mara what she needs. Did you get the idea of the glass from Sweet Home Alabama?
    That he does! :) Guilty as charged. I was trying to think of something that could represent Luke and Palpy so Mara could rectify her feelings and that was the only thing I could come up with!

I want that Palpatine playset!
    LOL! So do I!

Jedi_Lover: Very nice. I could see how the Battle of Endor would be conflicting for everyone involved. Luke lost his father, Mara lost Palpatine...it would make the celebration bittersweet. Nicely done!
    Thank you! I do think it would have very conflicting feelings, but especially for Mara and at this point in her life.
    Thank you for reading!

Jade_eyes: Mav! Hi! Very excellent and tenderly bittersweet response to the details in the request. Each gift shows a loving empathy and warm caring - I love the tone of soft teasing and affection. Perfect level of mushy-ishness.
    Hi J_e! Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed the gifts, I have a terrible time IRL thinking of gifts much less in aGFFA! Strangely, my muse was all on board for the mush but I had a time thinking of a way to make Mara upset... usually angst isn't a problem for me! :p
    [:D]

earlybird-obi-wan: Loved this bittersweet piece with all the details and Tatooine
    Thanks! I had to tie it back to Tatooine some how! :) Thanks for reading and reviewing!

Brianakin: I am so very glad you got this up! It was very fun read. I loved the conflicting emotions about the holiday, very much in character. And I LOVED the Palpy play-set!
    Thanks! I am glad I got it up by the deadline... I think things were conspiring against me! But I work better under pressure anyway! ;) I think they, of all people would have conflicting emotions and I'm glad they stayed in character. I sometimes worry about the softer side of Mara being too soft!

Mondra: I think my face looks weird when I try not to laugh during office hours... If those Palpatine play sets were there when I was a kid I'd never want aanythign else for Christmas! I'd even want one now... Loved it!
    LOL! I'm glad to have given you a laugh at work... I hope you didn't get caught! ;) Don't worry, I would want one now too!
    Thanks so much for reading and reviewing!

Tarsier: I like the complicated relationship they each have with Palpatine. And Luke's gifts are great! Nice work!
    I think Mara would have very conflicting feelings about him. Luke's gifts caused me a little worry, glad they came across! Thanks!

Hazel: Those were really some great gifts
    Thanks! I come up with the strangest things in the shower! :)

ginchy: hahahahaha, I need that exploding Palpatine playset so I can blow him up! I hate that old walking corpse!!! I like that L/M can make light of their pasts--that's not always easy to accomplish!!
    LOL! I think it would be a fun toy! It's not always easy to do but one usually feels better about things afterwords! Thanks for reading!! [:D]