main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Of Santa and Surly Padawans- Qui/Obi short one shot

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by brodiew, Jan 5, 2012.

1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    A/N: This is the first thing I've written in a couple months and, well, it could be better. The idea bounced around my head for three weeks and I finally was able to get it down. My OC Tanner Winslow is an AgriCorps crew chief who well love by Qui-Gon and padawan.:)

Of Santa and Surly Padawans

Obi-Wan Kenobi eyed the two foot tall piece of molded plastic wearily. The rather large figure of a man was illuminated from within and wore a ghastly suit of red winter clothes with white trim. Though the man?s smile appeared genuine, behind a fluffy white beard, the rosiness of his cheeks denoted that weather was, in fact, colder than he originally thought. The bag thrown over his shoulder was filled to brim odd shaped boxes, which could only be determined by sizes and shapes which seemed ready to burst its seams.

Going to one knee, the young padawan looked into the statue?s eyes and back to his Master.

?I guess you could say he?s jolly,? Obi-Wan said. ?But I think he looks cold and just doesn?t want to complain.?

?Young One,? replied Qui-Gon Jinn. ?Santa Claus does his work with love and merriment. He wouldn?t think to complain because it is not in his nature to do so.?

?Aha,? the boy replied, drolly. ?How do you know that??

?Tanner Winslow himself,? the older Jedi declared.

?Indeed,? Obi-wan replied skpetically, skirting impertinence. He pulled his robes more tightly about him to defend again a chilling gust of wind. ?What else did our friend say about this jolly old elf??

?Tanner has visited many worlds in his work with the AgriCorps,? Qui-Gon replied. ?The glowing sentry at your feet is from the planet Terra. And don?t let Tanner hear you call Santa an elf. Santa is the leader of the elves as Tanner is the boss of his crew. You see, according the folklore of the planet Terra, Santa Claus or Saint Nicholas or Kris Kringle, as he is known, brings toys to all the well behaved children of the planet in one night.?

Obi-Wan resisted rolling his eyes at the foolishness of the tale. ?Sounds like quite a job.?

?It is,? the Master continued, encouraged by the boy?s dubiousness. ?He has giant ?sleigh?, which I guess you could call a mini sail barge, which is powered by eight magical beasts called ?reindeer??.

The padawan screwed up his face in consternation. ?Why is he using animals where there are plenty of more traditional power sources from which to choose? Regardless of whether they are enchanted, he domesticated them and is pressing them into unrelenting service.?

?That?s just it, Obi-Wan,? Qui-Gon answered, to temper the boy?s rising cynicism. ?They work with him, not for him. The reindeer are his friends. They get immense satisfaction from participating in giving of gifts to the children.?

?Hrmmph,? Obi-Wan grunted.
    ?Am I boring you, Padawan?? Qui-Gon asked, touching the young man on his shoulder to get his attention.

?It?s a silly story,? Obi-Wan said. ?A happy fat man. Magical beasts. And an impossible task.?

?My goodness, but you are laying on the negativity this evening, Padawan. It is only a fairy tale meant to inspire selfless giving. Something we aspire to every day. Is there something else on your mind, Young One??

Obi-Wan grimaced in acknowledgement of his behavior. ?I?m sorry, Master. There is no excurse for my attitude. The glowing Santa is actually pretty cute.?

?Cute??

?I?m disappointed that we aren?t able to see Tanner on this trip. I wish I would have known about his off planet assignment before we came here.?

Qui-Gon smiled reassuringly. ?We?ll see him again soon, Obi-Wan. Even though he isn?t here to greet us, we still have a job to do.?

?I know,? Obi-Wan said, still hanging his head and kicking a pebble on the walkway. ?Are the ready for the inspection??

??As they ever will be?, as Tanner likes to say.?

?Do you know where he went; I mean why he isn?t here?? Obi-Wan asked earnestly.

?In fact, I do,? Qui-Gon answered, a knowing smile spreading on his lips.

?Where??

?Tanner took his combine to villag

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    John Deere - ha, <snorts>. Fun read!

3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Yes John Deere;) nice viggie

4. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    brodiew!! [:D]

That was so much fun!

?Tanner took his combine to village on the other side of the sector to deliver some gifts to the children there. According to Latimer, fashioned a bright green robe with yellow trim and, borrowing only a piece of the Terran legend, he called himself John Deere. You?ll have to ask him about it next time we see him.?
    [face_laugh] I about spit coffee on my keyboard at that! Hysterical!

Great job!!
    =D=