main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Of Spies and Sabacc (Pre-ESB/Leia, Han, Luke, Chewie) Thanks for the Noms!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by LadyPadme, Oct 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miska

Miska Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    I absolutely love this story! There are so few fics written in the pre ESB time period, and even fewer really GOOD ones. I love reading about Han and Leia and Luke, so keep up the good work!!!

2. Kirana_Ti

Kirana_Ti Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 2002
    It seems we have a new reader! Welcome, Miksa! I apologize if I've just misspelled your name. The brain's a little swiss-cheese like. But welcome... not my story, but I like to be ... um... welcoming...

Lady Padme: Actually, I have two more exams left, m'dear. ;) But these are not so bad as the first three... and in fact, I have nearly a month off. So if someone can help me brainstorm, that's enough time for me to get a short fic written. I love writing, however, since entering architecture I've done little of it. And I'd also need a beta reader... *looks around hopefully*

And can't wait until the next post!

Kirana Ti

3. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

Welcome to the story, Miska, I'm glad you liked it.

Kirana_Ti: waiting breathlessly for your story!

More later...

4. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002
    Chapter Thirty-one

Luke surfaced from the water gagging and coughing. It was pitch dark, and Luke had no idea where he was or how far down he had fallen, or even what he had fallen into. Was it an underground lake? An ocean? Or merely a water-filled mineshaft? And where was Vader? The lack of light and disorientation was making him very nervous.

Luke treaded water for a few minutes, trying to calm his thoughts and to come up with a way to escape. At least the cold water was acting as an anesthetic for the pain in his leg. He slowed down his breathing, and closed his eyes. Just as he felt his heart rate was under control again, he sensed something in the water. Something very big.

Luke?s eyes opened wildly, futilely searching in the dark for any trace of light. He decided to start swimming. Anything was better than staying where he was. His lightsaber was still in his hand; he rehooked the lightsaber to his belt and began doing a crawl stroke. As he swam, he thanked his lucky stars for the fate that led him to meet that Corellian scoundrel Han Solo. It had been Han, during a mission to the watery planet of Zalopine, who had insisted Luke learn how to swim. The swimming, and the sensation that he was actively doing something rather than waiting for fate, made Luke feel calmer, more relaxed.

The attack came suddenly. One moment, Luke was swimming smoothly, and the next moment, he felt himself pulled under the surface of the water. Something had grabbed hold of his right foot and was dragging him down. The attack came so swiftly that Luke hadn?t been able to take a last gulp of air. Now, as he felt himself dragged down, he was starting to panic as his lungs began to cry out, painfully, for air.

Unable to think of anything else to do, Luke made a wild grab for his lightsaber. He pulled it off his belt and switched it on.

Something amazing happened when the lightsaber was activated. The strong photoelectric pulse of the lightsaber created an electromagnetic charge that was powerful enough to split the water into its components of hydrogen and oxygen, and created a bubble of air a meter in diameter around the blade. Luke quickly tilted his head into the air bubble and took a quick, satisfying breath of air. The rush of oxygen re-energized Luke, and he was able to relax enough to look around.

The creature that had captured him was a large, serpentine beast at least five meters in length. It was of a bright, poisonous green color and had beautiful, multicolor, diaphanous fins. The creature had clamped down on Luke?s boot with its spiky teeth, but wasn?t biting very hard, although it seemed to be swimming very fast. Other underwater creatures, now visible in the glow of the lightsaber seemed to be scurrying away from the light.

Wherever the creature was planning on taking Luke, he didn?t really want to go. He quickly bent himself double, and slashed down against the creature?s underbelly with his lightsaber. The creature thrashed violently, flinging Luke from side to side with a speed that made him dizzy, and then suddenly let go. The creature slowly began to sink, and it appeared that the creature had died or was dying. To Luke?s horror, he saw thousands of smaller creatures, miniatures of the water-serpent that had captured Luke, swarming out of the gash in the wounded beast?s belly.

With a mighty lunge and holding his lightsaber before him, Luke began swimming for the surface, kicking as hard and as fast as he could.

Luke broke through the surface of the water, and almost immediately hit his head against hard rock. With the lightsaber?s beam, Luke was able to see that there was rock above him in every direction. He had no idea how he would be able to get through the rock, but decided to swim straight, using the lightsaber-formed air pocket to breathe.

Luckily, no more creatures attacked Luke as he swam. Perhaps they feared the glow of his lightsaber. Even so, Luke swam for what felt like at least two hours, feeling more tired and cramped by the minute before he saw the first opening in t

5. LovelyLea

LovelyLea Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2001
    Great post!!!! :) More soon, I hope!

6. Sologal

Sologal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2000
    Once again I find myself playing catch-up, but it's always worth the effort. You really write all of these characters well, LadyPadme. :)

Poor Luke. Trouble seems to follow him around almost as much as it does Han. ;)

7. inez_the_swampgirl

inez_the_swampgirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2002
    You know, with as many situations he is able to get himself out of, he should have been named Luck, not Luke. [face_mischief]

inez

8. Kirana_Ti

Jul 15, 2002
    MMm... a monster carrying thousands of mini-monsters inside of it... definitely worthy of the Lucas universe.
    And as soon as I have an idea of my own, I'll start writing ;)

Kirana Ti

9. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002
    LovelyLea: Thanks! Of course, another post after midnight EST... :)

Sologal: I'm flattered! Don't stay away too long, though, I'm winding up to the conclusion, soon... :p

inez: Luke has to stay alive to complete the trilogy, right? ;)

Kirana_Ti: ooh...I'm not through with monsters yet... [face_devil]

10. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    I'm exhausted just reading that. *whew*

11. inez_the_swampgirl

Apr 14, 2002
    Kirana_Ti, LP I thought those were thousands of baby monsters. :confused:

inez

12. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002
    RebelMom: Take a deep breath!

inez: You're right; they were thousands of baby monsters.

13. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002
    Chapter Thirty-two

Darth Vader stood at the edge of the mineshaft where his son had fallen. Even though he could see nothing in the dark depths of the mineshaft, he knew Luke was alive. He could still feel Luke?s Force-signature. Vader was not worried. He could be patient and wait for Luke to resurface before capturing him.

Luke.

My son.

In all the many months that Vader spent searching for Luke, wanting confirmation that he had a son, he had planned to offer Luke to the Emperor?a grand prize for his master. The encounter with Luke, however, left the Dark Lord very shaken. This wasn?t just a young man who looked like the erstwhile Anakin Skywalker. This was a young man who had the latent power of young Anakin Skywalker, and maybe even more than that. Vader suspected that Luke, given the correct training could become the greatest of all Jedi?or Sith.

A strange feeling went through Vader?something unexpected. It was pride. Pride for Luke. Pride that he had sired this phenomenal young man. And with that pride came a sudden possessiveness that Vader didn?t know he had. This was his son. And there was a purity about Luke that Vader didn?t want spoiled by the Emperor?s insidious evil.

These thoughts left Vader in a quandary. For over twenty years, he had served his master with a single-mindedness of purpose that few in the Imperial sphere could match. He had served well, served ruthlessly, served loyally.

Despite his loyalty to his master, Vader knew, deep inside, never to expect that same loyalty in return. He understood the depth of Palpatine?s latent treachery, and self-serving ambition. Vader?s thoughts warred with themselves as his instinctive obedience to his master conflicted with his desire to shield Luke and to mold Luke for himself.

We could overthrow Palpatine, Luke and I. We could rule the galaxy ourselves.

The thought came unbidden. And brought a simultaneous combination of fear and excitement to Vader?s mind. He knew now that his pure dark devotion to his master had been tainted. He could no longer serve as wholeheartedly as before. And yet, he would have to be careful to veil his thoughts before the ever-suspicious Emperor. Vader smiled grimly behind his mask. For some time, he had denied to himself that he had become jaded?that he felt the glory of being a Sith Lord was masking a desolate, unfulfilling existence. Now, with these new self-revelations, Vader was starting to feel new purpose invigorating his blood.

Once Luke was captured, Vader could begin.

Vader pulled out his intercom and gave instructions to the waiting stormtroopers. ?Patrol the area. The Rebel will likely emerge in or near the mountains. When he is captured, I want you to bring him to me.?

Vader left the mineshaft entrance and briskly walked up the dusty trail to his waiting speederbike. He returned to his shuttle and ordered the pilot to take off. Following the last coordinates Daram Pi had transmitted from the stolen Rebel shuttle, Vader rode off to find Mara?s infiltrator.

?All right, Chewie, standby for sublight engines,? Han said, as he flipped the switches on the control panel.

The Millennium Falcon came out of hyperspace at the edges of the Cordenian system.

?You?re sure Luke?s down there?? Han asked Leia as he did a final review of the navigational charts.

?Yes!? Leia said, urgently. ?He?s down there! And he?s in trouble! I can feel it. Hurry!?

Han gave Leia a sharp look, ?I want to help Luke just as much as you do, but I?m not going to just fly into the middle of an Imperial fleet like some yokel flight ensign. We?re going to make our approach from behind the Cordenian sun. I know that?s the long way, but it?s this way or no way.?

Leia gave Han a steady look. ?All right.?

Han, who was prepared to bolster his arguments, was caught off guard. ?All right? That?s it??

?Yes,? Leia said, ?You?re the captain of this ship, and for once you?ve said something that makes sense.?

Han rolled his eyes at Leia?s lef

14. LovelyLea

Jan 17, 2001
    Wow! You sure can tell what schedule everyone reading this story is on! I'm the first one to reply again! Anyway, great post LadyPadme! :D

15. Kirana_Ti

Jul 15, 2002
    Vader's tracking "Mara's infiltrator" eh? Yes, I *knew* that Mishi was evil!!!

You're doing an excellent job with suspense... wonderful story, although I've said that many times before.

One more exam and we'll see if I can get down to a story of my own!

Kirana Ti

16. inez_the_swampgirl

Apr 14, 2002
    ah...too bad for Luke that there is no 'Mineshaft Gap' on this planet. :p

Anyway, I predict lots of SW action (i.e. Han and Chewie vs. the stormtroopers) when our heroes catch up with each other. :D I can't wait!

inez

17. DarthMasan

DarthMasan Jedi Master star 3

Sep 20, 2002
    Excelent story! I am enjoying it to the fullest! I find it cool that it is between ANH and ESB because not many fan fics are from that time.
    Keep up the good work!
    (I have a question, is there more H/L interaction?) =)

18. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002

LovelyLea: I'm still trying to figure out the time to post for maximum exposure...but glad you liked it!

Kirana_Ti: Hmm...Mishi still has some surprises left in him. :)

inez: I think the action when they rescue Luke is going to be a little bizarre, but I hope people like it.

DarthMasan: Welcome to the story. Yes, there will be some more H/L. Not as much as most H/L shippers would like, but I'm trying to keep the story canon.

19. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000

Trouble just seems to follow Luke everywhere. ;)

20. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002
    Ah, but RebelMom, help is on the way!

21. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002
    Darth Vader was starting his daily Force meditation when the call came in.

?My lord, the troops in sector seven-one-five have apprehended a Rebel. He was captured on foot, alone and carrying two weapons. A blaster and some sort of sword hilt. He refused to give his name.?

?Where is he now??

?We?ve brought him to the temporary base, and he?s being detained.?

?Transmit your coordinates to my command shuttle and hold him there until I arrive.?

?Yes, my lord.? The transmission ended.

Vader stood up feeling rejuvenated. It had been a long night for him, a night in which his thoughts had been too tortured, too agonizing, too hateful for rest. First, there had been the minor disappointment of finding Mara?s infiltrator who was dead. Then, after he had returned to Executor, Vader had been commanded to send a message to the Emperor with an update on his search. Vader had to work hard to school his thoughts before his master, to hide his newfound excitement and his unruly thoughts over his meeting with Luke. Vader also found himself hiding a latent anger toward the Emperor for withholding information about the Rebels? bases and operations from him, information which would have let Vader do his work unhampered. After the transmission ended, it took over an hour for Vader to calm down enough for his breathing to return to synch with the breathing machine. When he finally settled himself into his sleep recliner, sleep eluded him for hours, chased away by angry, hateful, vengeful thoughts.

Upon awakening, Vader was in a foul mood, and his mood was only worsened by the report that Luke had not yet been caught. Vader?s aides gave him a wide berth that morning, none daring to look up into his infamous black helmet. Now, with the news that Luke had been captured, Vader stood up, and gave a chilling smile.

Luke, prepare to meet your destiny.

By the time Leia, Han, Chewbacca and C-3PO scaled the nearest cliff-face, the first of the Cordenian moons was just starting to set. They were already dusty and tired, and slightly short of breath.

?It?s not too far away,? Leia said as she rechecked the coordinates and compared it with their position. ?It?s just about four kilometers in that direction.?

?Lead the way, your Worship,? Han said, with an elaborate bow.

Leia gritted her teeth but decided to conserve her energy rather than argue with him. She had a suspicion that the four-kilometer trek over mountainous terrain would be just the beginning.

Chewbacca, who?d had the even less enviable job of climbing up the cliff and backpacking a patently ungrateful, and annoyingly verbose C-3PO grunted.

?Oh, my, I do hope Artoo hasn?t gotten himself into any trouble,? Threepio was saying, ?That little R2 unit often displays a shocking lack of common sense?always tries to put himself in the thick of things?most awkward. I?ve told him time and time again??

Chewbacca growled a warning to Threepio to stop talking or his limbs would be torn apart.

Mishi, who had the easiest trip of all, flying up on the built-in repulsorlifts in his paws, was waiting for them at the top of the cliff-face and gave a joyful bark.

?That thing is a one-rongo commando team,? Han commented. He turned to Leia. ?Now that we?ve done what you?ve told us and gone on this crazy sha?ak chase down here, where we?ll be sitting ducks for stormtrooper target practice, do you mind telling me how you knew Luke would be down here??

?I don?t know how to explain it,? Leia said, ?I?I heard him.?

?Excuse me?? Han gave Leia a look of incredulity. ?We were fifty parsecs from here. What the hell do you mean you heard him??

?I don?t know how I heard him,? Leia looked confused, herself. She started talking, almost to herself, ?I heard him call my name, and I could see?I saw the mountains that he was seeing. It was nighttime and there was moonlight. And?and he was afraid.?

The corner of Han?s lip turned down. Although he part of him was still incredulous and skeptical about the Fo

22. DarthMasan

DarthMasan Jedi Master star 3

Sep 20, 2002
    Dont worry LadyPadme, I love this story how it is. I was just wondering.
    Keep it up!

23. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002
    Okay, I'm going to just put up the pitch once, but the 2002 Winter Fan Fiction Awards are here. Nominations run from Dec 10-24. If you liked this story, please consider nominating it at the below link:

Winter Fan Fiction Awards.

Nominations can be done by PM or in-thread voting. Each story needs 3 nominations to be entered into the awards, so every vote counts! It's generally a small readership here, although I'm really grateful for your loyalty. I'm not expecting to win anything, but I'd love to have my story be part of the process, so please consider my story!!
    (Yes, even lurkers!)

Thanks in advance. :)

24. LovelyLea

Jan 17, 2001
    Great job once again LP! I love the way you are developing Han and Leia's relationship. ;)

25. inez_the_swampgirl

Apr 14, 2002
    Han...that old softie! ;)

inez

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.