main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Off of the Topic: Social Thread v4.0

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by AdamBertocci, Apr 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The-Matt-Man

The-Matt-Man Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    I know. It's funny though. My girlfriend told me last month that I was too argumentative, but not confrontational enough to hold an arguement for a long time without breaks. I was angry at first but then like "hey yeah!" So I've kept telling myself "I'm not going to argue over stupid crap with people." And that's where I am right now. The fastest way to a solution is finding out there's a problem I guess.

I suppose I should mention that I was arguing with her over fabric for a project was working on. It was really silly. I was trying to argue that double layer silk was a more fashionable choice for a nehru jacket than sueded fabric. Having seen the finished jacket, I'm glad I got the sueded fabric to appease her. It's really comfortable and very fashionable. I still love silk though.

Anyway. Thought I'd throw that in there.

-Matt

2. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Good stuff Matt - me likey. [face_peace]

I still say you have to get the lack-of-sleep stuff on tape though. [face_whistling]

3. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    I think you just want proof that you're not the only one who acts that weird, DV.

:)

Man, four days without sleep would RUIN me.
    Like, I'd probably start thinking that you all were out to get me somehow.

(I wish that were just a joke, heh. Long story.)

-Vaportrail

4. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    VaporTrail posted on 5/28/05 12:10am
    I think you just want proof that you're not the only one who acts that weird, DV.
    [hr][/blockquote] Hmm......yeah you're probably right. :p

Btw, anyone noticed how a lot of new topics have something like "[i](please read before locking)[/i]" in the title? Do me that says, "I didn't search before posting". Anyone else feel that way? I'm not mad or anything but it's kinda funny to look at now that there are multiple variations of the disclaimer. Anyway.

//random

5. beafet

beafet Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 12, 2001
    DO me that says?

?????????

/awkward

[face_plain]

6. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Heh, DV:
    To me it says "I don't really know anything, but hear me out anyway."
    It just reminds me of this 12-year-old that wanted to test me on Star Wars trivia.
    Oh yeah, he got owned/put in his place/etc.

:)
    Or maybe they're just afraid of the mods.
    Bad experiences as a child, you know.
    Two weeks just isn't a long enough time to get over some things.
    (I'm such a jerk.)

On a more me-related note, I am awesome because I finally got a website yesterday. I'll be making a more official "release thread" announcement upon completion, but for now I think that can wait. 1337mik3 is helping me set it up, teaching me how to use CoreFTP, though CCfilms is insiting upon Filezilla. Oh, this is gonna be fun lol. I would give you the address, and you can probably figure it out, but I'd prefer to let you see it when we're nearing completion. Right now it's just a jpg on the front page. Soon.. very soon.

Dorkman.. if you say one word in regards to early release threads, you and I are going to be having a VERY long talk.
    :p
    (If I had to talk/debate with to you for that long, I think your brain might end up crawling out and strangling mine.)

(Bring your camera, DV.)

-Vaportrail

7. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    It just reminds me of this 12-year-old that wanted to test me on Star Wars trivia.

The night: Wednesday, May 18th. I'm in costume. I hear my name called, and I come over. A friend has beeng etting pwned by a trivia bit in the paper, and wants me to try.

I do not try. I do.

Answer all 25 questions, plus the bonus, correctly. The result? "Perfect score. It is time for you to move out of your parents' basement."

Sad thing is, I live in my parents' basement. I sleep in my room upstairs, but live down here, with 125 feet of cable connecting me to the hub upstairs.

8. artofwot

artofwot Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2003
    Pfft. n00b. I've been a gamer since birth, it seems, dating back to kids games on a Commodore 64 and an Intellivision.

I'm not a noob, just more of a pc guy. ;)

9. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    (If I had to talk/debate with to you for that long, I think your brain might end up crawling out and strangling mine.)

"And in a desperate attempt to save life as we know it, his major intestines lept up his spinal column and throttled his brain."

10. CountDoosheee

CountDoosheee Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 15, 2002
    I seem to be having a tremendous problem with my lifestyle.

11. Padawan_John

Padawan_John Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2002
    ONE BY ONE, THE SQUIRRELS STEAL MY BANDWIDTH!

12. RIPLEY426

RIPLEY426 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2003
    Got a script writing question (which isn´t really worth opening a thread for):

We all know a script mainly cosists of description/action and dialogue. And we all know you always have to write the names of your characters in front of the dialogues and actions so the director can easily comprehend who/what/where...

The situation in my script can be compared to the first scene of Star Wars Episode 4, where we see this "big black masked warrior" (Vader) walking around for a few minutes until he is revealed as being Darth vader (in a dialogue).
    So now my situation is, that a "masked guy" is walking around (like vader) for a few scenes until he TAKES OFF his mask to reveal who he is. (the audience then KNOWS who it is because it´s the last part of the trilogy).

Somehow this is like Leia alias Boush in Episode 6.

So the actual question:

How do I state that "masked guy" in the scenes BEFORE his revelation? For now, I have it "the big masked guy walks there" or "the masked soldier does this" or "the dark, armored dude shouts" or whatever. And I will definitly call him by his name, After we all know who he really is (EVEN if he wears the mask later on).

So- maybe I´m talking to much here. Just the question:

Do I call a masked main character in my script by his name until he is revealed or do I keep it a secret?

13. Padawan_John

Padawan_John Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2002
    Your script, do what thou wilst.

KETTLE! YOU ARE BLACK!!!

14. beafet

beafet Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 12, 2001
    Hey, VaporTrail, I'll challenge you to a round of trivia. Everyone should check out the fanfilms chat, we often have Star Wars trivia fun. It's great fun, especially since I keep winning.

irc.ianstorm.com

channel: #fanfilms

beafet: 30.8,
    WeirdHat: 18.6,
    Antilles: 20.5,
    Buliwuf: 7,
    anjofilm: 0.3,
    Cryptite: 6.3,
    DarthArjuna: 4.9,
    VaporTrail: 3.8,
    Spiff: 1

[face_plain]

15. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    beafet posted on 5/28/05 6:49am
    DO me that says?
    [hr][/blockquote] Whoops, sorry [b]beafet[/b] - I was running out the door as I wrote that. :p

[blockquote][link=http://boards.theforce.net/user.asp?usr=VaporTrail][b]VaporTrail[/b][/link] [b]posted on 5/28/05 7:05am[/b][hr]
    (Bring your camera, DV.)
    [hr][/blockquote] Yay! [face_dancing]

[blockquote][link=http://boards.theforce.net/user.asp?usr=Padawan_John][b]Padawan_John[/b][/link] [b]posted on 5/28/05 10:36am[/b][hr] ONE BY ONE, THE SQUIRRELS STEAL MY BANDWIDTH!
    [hr][/blockquote] I believe it: [image=http://www.dannews.net/pics/chewedwire.jpg]

16. RIPLEY426

Apr 28, 2003
    Your script, do what thou wilst.

What´s that? An answer?

17. FX_guy

FX_guy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2002
    There's no "right" way to do it - you can name the character right away, regardless of whether his name has appeared in the dialog yet. Or you can call him something else until his name is revealed in the story.

For example, often you see this in a script:

An imposing figure in white armor appears in the doorway - later we will learn his name is STORMTROOPER BOB - and opens fire on the helpless squirrels.

Or you might see this:

An IMPOSING FIGURE in white armor appears in the doorway and opens fire on the helpless squirrels.

and then later, perhaps:

The armored figure removes his helmet - and we see now that he's actually BILL GATES.

BILL GATES
    Surprise! This is why the author didn't use my name at first!

It really comes down to what you want the reader to get from the script while reading - if it's important that the character's name be kept hidden for some dramatic reason, go ahead and do it that way.

Otherwise it's simplest just to name each character as soon as they appear, so the reader doesn't get confused and think that "BLACK MASKED DUDE" and "DARTH MAMBO" are two different characters when the name suddenly changes.

18. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    He's saying do what you want to do.

19. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Since this is "off the topic"...

Here's an image I did for fun in 3D Studio Max earlier this afternoon. This was only created to see how fast I could make a glass with water in it so realize it's just a lazy test. ;)

Concept, creation, design: < 20 minutes.
    Rendering (default scanline): about 20 minutes
    No lights or custom materials

Anyway, let me know what you think.

20. RIPLEY426

Apr 28, 2003
    Looks excellent. The rendering time frightens me...

Anyway. I´m quite sure I can do what I want in the script. But isn´t a script rather like a construction plan for the director and everyone else? And rather NOT to create suspense while reading it? I mean- of course. If the script explains what the audience is going to see, later on screen, then NOT telling the "masked guy's real identity" in the script makes sense. But I actually don´t really know how to do this in the hypothetical case I want to sell the script or show it to a professional. Does a script have to evoke feelings and suspense? Or is it just "construction plan"?

21. artofwot

artofwot Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2003
    Well, I've been thinking about Summer (17 more days of school left, yah!), and therefore summer projects.

One of my ideas was to write a guide to fan-filmmaking. I'd write an e-book about making fan films. There's tons of books on filmmaking, but that's for people with money (;)).

What do you think? Good idea? Bad idea?

22. DMPjedi

DMPjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2003
    [image=http://s95303915.onlinehome.us/images/safe_weekend.jpg]

23. FX_guy

FX_guy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2002
    Does a script have to evoke feelings and suspense? Or is it just "construction plan"?

Depends.

If it's a script that you know you're going to produce yourself, it can just be a basic description of what happens and when, so that you and your cast and crew know what to do.

If it's a script that you'll be sending to anyone else - especially if you hope to sell it - then you absolutely should write it with the reader in mind. You want that reader to experience the script as if they are watching the movie - if there's a surprise, it should be revealed in the script when the story calls for it, so the reader is surprised just as if he/she were seeing the movie itself.

The goal in that situation is to help the reader "see" the movie you intend the script to become someday, so they're more likely to say "wow, this will make a great movie!"

24. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    My wife is out with her friends, and I am BORED. And lonely for that matter.

25. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    Come to me, Pixel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.