main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Off of the Topic: Social Thread v4.1 (Special Edition)

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by AdamBertocci, May 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    ^ ^

(rimshot)

VaporTrail posted on 5/31/05 10:52pm
    You're all a bunch of nerds.
    [hr][/blockquote] This is good - I just wish I had been on more yesterday so I could join in. [face_nerd]

2. Jedi_Spiff

Jedi_Spiff Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    You're all a bunch of nerds.

Actually, knowing this stuff is essentially my job.
    <- Engineering Physics Ph.D. Student.

-Spiff

3. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    Nerd job.

EDIT: I found This while surfing Wikipedia. It's an Engineer's drinking song from MIT, thought you might think it entertaining.

4. Jedi_Spiff

Jul 2, 2003
    Standard fare... taught to all frosh minus the MIT references:

Venus is a statue made entirely of stone,
    Not a fig leaf on her she's as naked as a bone.
    On noticing she had no arms an engineer discoursed,
    "The damn thing's broken concrete and it should be reinforced"

etc.

The correct tune to sing it to is The Battle Hymn of the Republic.

-Spiff

5. CountDoosheee

CountDoosheee Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 15, 2002
    LUCAS: My original vision for the prequels was to have Fred Savage as Anakin. In fact in the special edition I'm putting him in, complete with Wonder Years style narration.

"Being thrown into lava was a totally new experience for me, it reminded me of gym class without the trauma".

6. 21gninja

21gninja Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2004
    ^^
    I'm going to have nightmares about that
    ... then some voice well tell everyone why ... NOOOOOOOO

7. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    lol i stopped science

Fig, as always, being counter-productive [face_plain]

So what happens when he turns on his headlights?

According to Drew, it would work as normal for him. Meh, I'd like to think that the light piles up in front, like sound waves in front of a rocket car approaching the sound barrier, then collapses and flows behind it... I think thats what sound waves to...

(I realize they're completely different forms of energy, but it's still a cool visualization to turn on your headlights and the light originates behind you somewhere.)

8. Jedi_Spiff

Jul 2, 2003
    A commie* and an engineer were stranded in a boat,
    One man was too heavy and the poor boat wouldn't float.
    The engineer would flip a coin to settle the dispute,
    So he flipped it overboard, and the commie gave pursuit.

*commie = commerce student/businessman

-Spiff

9. Funk-E

Sep 11, 2003
    I've created a monster.

10. J-Solo

J-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 1999
  11. JediDrew

JediDrew Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2002
    Arjuna - Actually if someone is traveling at the speed of light, then projects light in their traveling direction, The light would appear to not travel beyond themselves, or beyond the area they are taking up, because they will be traveling WITH the light.

And it's not 'According to Drew" Its According to Einstein's theory of Relativity. - I'm not making this stuff up.

I'm not saying humans can travel in time, I'm just obtimistic as to whether it may happen. I'm saying other things in our universe achieve it.

MUONS Are particles that come from the sun and once they reach the earth's atmosphere and come into contact with it, they almost instantly die. But they are traveling at more than 99% the speed of light, so they are able to make it all the way to the earth's surface.

When I say that, I'm going by memory, so there may be a flaw in what I just said and the physics major may catch it, but the basic idea is right. There are particles called MUONS that achieve significant Time Dilation to have a longer life span relative to our point of perspective.

12. Jedi_Spiff

Jul 2, 2003
    Everything we know about muons:

http://pdg.lbl.gov/2004/listings/s004.pdf

The lifetime of the muon in its rest frame is constant. The mean lifetime of a muon is 2.19703 +/- 0.00004 microseconds.

The time dilation argument is pretty much correct. In our frame of reference, a fast moving muon lasts longer.

-Spiff

13. ironhide

ironhide Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 11, 2004
    MUONS Are particles that come from the sun and once they reach the earth's atmosphere........

GEEKS Are people who are still talking about science long after everyone else has stopped listening.

14. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    ^ ^

One reason why I love TFN. :D

15. JediDrew

Jun 9, 2002
    It's Interesting.

16. CountDoosheee

Dec 15, 2002
    Oh blah blah blah, how can you travel time if it doesn't even exist? It's just a stupid concept people invented to keep track of things.

17. JediDrew

Jun 9, 2002
    You're right. As far as a clock is concerned. But Time is a dimension just like the 3 dimensions of space.

For something to exist, it must have length, width and height, no matter how large or how microscopic. But it also has to have duration, it has to exist for a certain amount of time.

In this sense, Duration is not a man made thing and does exist. Just like length isn't a man made thing, but the measurment of "inches" and "Miles" are man made concepts. As are "hours" and "Minutes"

18. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    In other news - I just saw the first June '05 member in here. Seems almost too soon... [face_tired]

19. CountDoosheee

Dec 15, 2002
    Yeah but travelling time? It's bogus. It makes for magnificent movies (Back to the Future, Bill and Ted, and if you're a MST3K fan, Time Chasers) but really.

20. JediDrew

Jun 9, 2002
    Well yea, I mean, Those movies are science fiction man.... I'm not saying Time Travel can be achieved any of those ways... I'm simply saying, having time pass slower for one thing than another.

21. Funk-E

Sep 11, 2003
    Going backwards in time, yeah, it's pretty bogus. But forwards, from an individual standpoint anyway, is far from it.

EDIT: In other-other news, This is some of the better horror writing I've seen in a long time. It's like what Dean Koontz tries so hard to be. Some strong language, mindblowing terror, black humor involved. Click at your own risk.

22. Jedi_Spiff

Jul 2, 2003
    GEEKS Are people who are still talking about science long after everyone else has stopped listening.

So... what you're saying is that geeks are people who are interested in science and have a longer attention span than you? Got it. Incidentally, "geek" usually implies superior intellect as well. The term is condescending only because people are resentful of geeks due to their own inferiority complexes.

-Spiff

23. SilverFox0440

SilverFox0440 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    General Reikan, no, I don't think that was it. This one had some sith fighting on some beachside cliffs and had really amazing latex masks.

24. Padawan_John

Padawan_John Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2002
    geek (n. Slang)

1. a) A person regarded as foolish, inept, or clumsy. b) A person who is single-minded or accomplished in scientific or technical pursuits but is felt to be socially inept.

2. A carnival performer whose show consists of bizarre acts, such as biting the head off a live chicken.

:-B

25. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    Heh, and to think that this started off with a theology joke ;)

I know it's not "According to Drew", I meant it as more, "According to Drew's sources".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.