Off Subject: Lord of the Rings

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mandalore74, Apr 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lordban Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Actually the 2nd music is when the world ends, we're not yet in it.

The MERP is one of the most documentated RPGs existing, its sources are based on Tolkien's works, both published and unpublished.
  2. Mandalore74 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Does anybody know a good Lord of the Rings website where I can find a lot of backround information and good maps?
  3. RingoJuna Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yep, Merp(and ICE) are well documentated.......and frikkin huge!!! There are tons of books out there for this system.
  4. Lordban Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Too bad they no longer have the license :(

Mandalore, I don't know where you can find this, but try http://www.theonering.net , you might find there the adress you search for.
  5. RingoJuna Jedi Knight

star 3
    You can still find tons of the sourcebooks on ebay, and i do mean tons
  6. Lordban Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yep, luckily I've always been a Tolkien fan so I've got most of them (and I've perhaps spent a little too much money on those...)
  7. junio Jedi Master

star 4
    All right guys&gals, I just started reading The Lord of the Rings a few days ago. I've already read a few more than 100 pages.

But there is something unclear to me. I'm not sure if I missed it or what, but...

Is Sam Gamgee a hobbit? Or am I just crazy... Can anyone help me and clear that up for my better understanding.

Thanks!
  8. jedimasterED Moderator Emeritus

star 4
    Master Samwise Gamgee is a Hobbit, and one of the best ever, IMHO. :)
  9. junio Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks a lot for clearing that up for me, ED.

Thanx!
  10. Darth_Smeagol Force Ghost

star 4
    Sam is awesome, but I am kinda partial to Pip myself.
  11. Lordban Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well let's start a poll, then : Who is your favorite hobbit character ?
  12. Duredhel Jedi Padawan

My favorite hobbit is Maura Labingi, or Frodo Baggins.
  13. jedimasterED Moderator Emeritus

star 4
    Though I've only read a few, small pieces about him, the Bullroarer sounds pretty worthy of my favor. It's a tie between Bilbo, Frodo, Samwise, and the Bullroarer.
  14. junio Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, I am just at the beginning of The Lord of the Rings, but I'm loving Pippin so far. And I really loved Bilbo from The Hobbit.
  15. Freyja Jedi Master

star 4
  16. Mandalore74 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I keep picturing Pippin as an Englishman Hobbit. Kind of like Pip from South Park.
    SPOILERS AHEAD:

I am really diggin Strider too. I just got through the chapter about him, and I think that he could be a very cool character.
  17. jedimasterED Moderator Emeritus

star 4
    Oh, he is a very "cool" character! :D
  18. Lordban Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    From a good many points of view (man, I'm beginning to sound like Obi-Wan !)

My own favorite hobbit is Pip too, I like his candour and practical wisdom.
  19. Freyja Jedi Master

star 4
    In case anyone is interested or hasn't seen it, there is an audio clip at theonering.net of Liv Tyler speaking Elvish on Conan O'Brien as well as some pics which include an utterly repulsive orc. IMO those things are way more scary than Darth Maul.
  20. Mandalore74 Jedi Knight

star 3
    <<Dusts himself off from digging up this topic>>

Well, I am now about 50 pages away from finishing The Two Towers, and let me just say that these books kick ass. I am throughly enjoying them. If it wasn't for this pesky college thing (classes and
    drinki- er, studying) I would have finished all 3 books by now. I don't wanna spoil anybody, but I am still digging "Strider" as well as Legolas.

Any comments people. Let's keep my longest thread ever going.
  21. DarthHag Jedi Padawan

Congratulations to everyone starting LOTR for the first time! My obsession with LOTR is currently keeping far more occupied than anything in SW, although I love both and am re-reading Two Towers for about the 15th time. If you are interested in reading someone else's journey, check out
    http://www.electricpenguin.com/blatherings/lotr/
    The webmistress is cataloging her first journey through LOTR. She just finished FOTR and for those who are long time fans of LOTR her insights are almost as enjoyable as discovering it for the first time. If we don't get in too much trouble over here, I'd LOVE to read others' reactions.

As for sites, http://www.lordoftherings.net is the movie website. Download that trailer and you will be stunned. One of the very best fan site is http://www.theonering.net. Classy, wonderful site run by great people.

To keep this on topic a little bit, I have found that one thing I share with SW fans is a love of many of the same books and media, including Tolkien, Rowling, Lewis, Alexander, and others. I won't try to compare one versus another. I love them all, for different reasons.

Enjoy! You've taken your first steps into a much bigger world!
  22. Lordban Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Upping this :) Good to see this topic again !
  23. virtue1st Jedi Knight

star 1
    Reading The Lord of the Rings for the first time is a wonderful experience.

But for an equally wonderful experience, be sure to read it a second time later on (and a third or fourth time, even). You'll pick up lots of great stuff that you may have missed the first time around.
  24. Mandalore74 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Finished The Two Towers last night. It was awesome. The scene with (SPOILER) Samwise picking up the Quest and Shelob was just awesome. I can't wait to see it on film. Ready to start reading The Return Of The King. I was pissed there for a minute at the end of TT, but the last 2 pages got my hopes up again ;-)
  25. Mandalore74 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Ok, I just picked up the Return of the King, and I noticed the huge appendix/index in the back. What's the deal with this? What all does it contain, and should I read it first, or last, or just use it for reference? Thanks for any answers.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.