main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Off topic, but I was wondering

Discussion in 'Archive: Salt Lake City, UT' started by SovereignKnight, Jan 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SovereignKnight

SovereignKnight Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 17, 2001
    Does anyone else have a Gold's membership? I'm still in that "trying to make friends" stage and I was wondering if anyone else liked to work out. I'm not one of those muscle guys in the corner grunting under 1000 pounds and flexing in the mirror. I can usually be found on the treadmills and the circuit machines. I do get into the weights occasionally, but right now I'm focusing on lean-ing up a bit. As a bonus, I'll throw in my expertise as a former Fitness Instructor, good for advice on all kinds of excersise. Any takers?

2. ondiv

ondiv Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    Gee....makes me wish I still had my Gold's Gym membership. I was always looking for someone to work out with while I was there. I found it to be so over whelming because I had no idea what I was doing and couldn't afford a personal trainer.

What gym do you go to currently?

3. SovereignKnight

Dec 17, 2001
    I've been going to the one in Sandy on 80S and 13E. I think the one in South Jordan is about the same distance from my place too (I live in Midvale). Get hooked back up with a membership. Fitness is a good thing! :)

4. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    I wouldn't mind getting another membership if I had someone to work out with...however I don't have the fundage for it right now.

5. SkalenFehl

SkalenFehl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    If I didn't live so far away I'd certainly work out with you. I've been a weightlifter for over fifteen years, however not as devoted recently due to heavy workloads and my involvement in various social circles in my life. Hopefully I'll get to meet you sometime soon.

6. Marold

Marold Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 17, 2001
    I have one. I need something to do tomorrow night since my class was canceled.

Then I could probably ask you some questions I might forget to ask my instructors.

Why didn't I think of calling you on Thursday when my partner flaked out on me? Give me a call if you want and we can set up sometime to workout.

7. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    Anyone who has tomorrow off, I'm going to a kickboxing class at 9:15 am at the West Valley Golds Gym. If you're interested, I'll see you there.

8. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    SK, that's the Gold's that I go to, too! :) I'm usually on the eliptical machines, cuz I'm a bit of a fanatic about getting my cardio endurance back. But I wouldn't mind getting some strength training going on the circuit machines. I actually eyed them last night while on my way out - I'm not a stranger to them, I just haven't used them for a while. But, I *am* happy to report that I've lost 20 pounds since June! WOOHOO!! Yeah, it's slow progress, but it makes me quite happy!

EDIT: - BTW, when do you usually go?

9. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    WAHOO!!!! That is so awesome! CongaRats!!!!

10. SovereignKnight

Dec 17, 2001
    If you were there last night you probably saw me. I usually go around 6PM or so on weeknights and around 5 on Saturdays. The nights vary though because I travel for a living and I get home on different days. I hope to go this Sunday and Monday, but if I don't I won't be in town until next weekend. We should hook up some time though. I'll answer some any questions you have.

:)

I laugh at most people who use the circuit machines. There was a guy last night using the triceps pushdown machine, a typical guy with skinny arms wearing a muscle shirt because he thought he was bad-ass. He pinned up pretty much the whole stack and proceeded to push down, using his body weight and shoulders and actucally standing at one point in an effort to move the weight. He was so proud of himself that he got about 8 reps in. Of course, I didn't have the heart to tell him that his efforts did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for his triceps at all, and he could've hurt himself in the process. I see bad form everywhere I look in the gym. People should realize that they could make much faster gains if they knew how to use the equipment and get in touch with their bodies more.

11. Marold

Apr 17, 2001

That's how gym's make their extra money. People don't get the results they want so they pay extra for a personal trainer.

12. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    That's SO true! I was actually in awe the other day when I saw a woman on one of the treadmills with a 48 oz. soda!!! It was probably diet coke, or something just as ridiculous - and it was in one of those plastic colored coke-shaped cups, so it was pretty obvious what it was. But HELLO!!! Diet coke in a can, once in a while... okay. But a beverage bucket filled with it while you're working out at the gym!?? :rolleyes: She's probably wondering why she's not losing any weight. (She was a thin person, but it was obvious that she was out of shape.)

13. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    so, for those of us without a Gold's Membership: How does everyone keep in shape, or get their excersize in?
    I'm looking into different 'at home' routines that I can do to help get in shape for this summer (and for Comic Con ;) ).

14. saberwielder76

saberwielder76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2001
    I go to the exercise room at the clubhouse/office for my apartment complex.

15. LordTater

LordTater Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2005
    I have an elliptical machine and a weight set I bought several years ago. But, I'd have to say that my kids give me the best workout!

16. Trovan

Trovan Jedi Youngling

Feb 28, 2006
    My wife and I do DDR together.

17. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    Isn't DDR GREAT!!! Seriously! People laugh at it as a form of excersize...but it TOTALLY WORKS!!!

18. saberwielder76

saberwielder76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2001
    So what is DDR? Aside from the old initials for East Germany, back in the day.

19. Shadow_Wolf_3882

Shadow_Wolf_3882 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2004
    Dance Dance Revolution

20. ENIGMA2006

ENIGMA2006 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2006
    I usually go to the Golds on about 95 s. and 7th e. I also go to the one on 78s and redwood rd. I'm usually there in there mornings (Somewhere Between 11-1) I've been trying to go almost every day.

21. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    I'm forced to go to that one every Tuesday and Thursday for about those same times. Why do they call it a gym? It should be renamed as Torture Zone.

Sorry, had to do some testing last week at school. Looking forward to those for clients.

22. ENIGMA2006

ENIGMA2006 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2006
    Lol! No kidding! At least in this "gym" you don't need to run the mile and a half. (Except some people do that anyway.) I'm usually on the bikes when I'm there. I usually wear a hoodie and some black work out pants( I don't know what they are called.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.