main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Off Topic: Dispelling the Star Wars Geek stereotype- What do you do in your free time?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMasterAaron, Jan 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    Hey everyone,

Yeah, this is slightly off topic, but maybe interesting enough that Kadue and The Gatherer will let it stay on for now. ;)

So I was thinking today, about how Star Wars geeks are stereotyped, along with Trekkies, and fans of Sci-Fi or Sci-Fi/Fantasy, into the role of the typical geek. And I'll be honest, here on the campus of the University of Kansas, that stereotype seems to hold true. I've had discussions with a few people here on campus concerning Star Wars, and those people do seem on first glance to fit the bill. You know the type. Plays D&D, computer nerd, seen the trilogy 8000 times and can quote it all the way through...those types of things. The type of guys who spend all their free time doing *something* connected with Star Wars and/or the fantasy world.

What about you guys?

I personally am kind of a mix. I'm very heavily involved in sports, weightlifting, partying, etc., but I must confess that I read Star Wars novels all the time, spend quite a bit of time on my computer and the internet, and a TON of time at least lurking on the JC boards.

So let's hear it! What do you guys do in your spare time?

JMA

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I spend several hours each day hanging out with my friends, plus I spend a couple hours online. Truth be told, the only time I do Star Wars stuff is while I'm online.

3. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Well you may say chissdude. Your a geek. You are and will be. Not so my fellow "geeks".

Ok well maybe I am but actually im not the classic "geek"

I dont have many friends, i will admitt. But this is dou to the fact that im not vey social with people my age. SO I ANOYY YOU GUYS!!!!

In my spare time I love to lift waits...Wait a second you say, the scrany kid lifts waits? Hell shut up Im not that scrawny.And play basketball by myself. I love the Buffalo Bills and will always be a huge fan. I am also writing a sci fi novel i hope to get published and have spoken to authors such as Stackpole(nice guy) and the lady who wrote Crystal Star(not very nice).

I happen to think if im a star wars geek, who cares. I love star wars and its a way of coping with my inability to always be social. In truth this place has become my home, I love it here. Basically though all i do is star wars.

PS-I am totaly not like my annoying, offending self in real life.

4. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2001
    Me? Well I got a twin sister who is really popular at my school and has her friends over all the time, so that helps a ton with my social life. I lift, run, ride my bike, scuba dive-even though i am not certified. Play counter-strike and talk too people. I go to movies and stuff too.

5. Shyviolet

Shyviolet Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 19, 2001
    when I am not doing homework-which I seem to have a lot of this semester-I can be found reading, on the computer, or sleeping. Mostly reading.

6. Infiltrator

Infiltrator Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 4, 2002
    I read, write (quite a lot), play (yes) D&D and SWRPG, and surf the web (as well as "lurk" on this forum.)

7. Baron_Fel

Baron_Fel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    Like chissdude,I'm not very social.That's probably because I just moved to NYC.I would lift weights,but the thing is I forgot to bring them with me.I probably fall into the category of computer geek because I like to tinker and basically know how to fix things unlike my siblings.I don't play D&D and the only place I RP is in the RP forum.I've only seen the trilogy a lot but less than a hundred times and not that recently.I also play PC games,read books,watch TV and go out to see movies.That's really about it.

8. Cypher18

Cypher18 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 1, 2001
    I am on my high schools wrestling varsity team. I read and lurk on the internet alot.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I am a professional geek.

Webmaster/quasi-Project Manager for the internet division of the third largest banking institution in the world.

Spare time I like to watch movies, play videogames, hang with friends and my girlfriend, play boardgames, watch sports on TV (mostly college hoops, pro football and baseball). Oh, and the geekiest thing I own and still use is my old 8-bit original Nintendo Entertainment System... that we hacked into and attached a parallel port to... finished Castlevania and Metal Gear over the weekend again...

I am probably not helping with the stereotype here...

10. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    I am a lifeless geek, who spends his offline time reading and watching TV. Sorry :)

11. Jag_Fel

Jag_Fel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2002
    Whats wrong with being a Star Wars geek?

I mean, sure, if you don't go outside, don't sleep, and fantisize about Jaina Solo, then you've got a problem.

But take me. I'm an obsessive star wars reader, but I still have time to play on my local baseball rep team, take violin privately, and lots of other 'normal' things.

Theres nothing wrong with being a geek unless you let it interfere with your life; and if other people can't see that, than they aren't worth your time.

And I really hesitate to use the word 'geek' since it is generally a durogatory term.

12. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Theres nothing wrong with being a geek unless you let it interfere with your life

WHAT LIFE? :)

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Jag_Fel, I've always sort of considered "nerd" the derogotory term... "geek" was never really one to me...

From the Geek FAQ: "A geek will not put off what needs to be done because of social activities, but neither will s/he completely abandon the social scene. A nerd is usually very anti-social because s/he cares very
    strongly about his/her studies, and God forbid something like friends should keep him/her from that 4.0."

Geek to me just meant that I liked technology, sci-fi/fantasy, being backstage instead of on it, etc... not that I didn't have a life. =)

14. DarthDatorri

DarthDatorri Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2001
    I'm at the other end of the scale.....social life comes before work, university and *protects head* Star Wars.

Back when I was 13-15, yeah I was a bit of a geek, but as time went on I found less and less time to read/play computer games/go online. I put a higher priority on partying, skating girls and cars.

I will always have my inner geek though. I'll always find time to read the lastest GFFA novel or spend time online doing all things Star Wars :D :D :D

15. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Well, in my free time I do Tae Kwon Do and I like to play Dance Dance Revolution (which may be a geeky thing to do, but it's also a very cool thing to do, and it looks cool if you're good at it :p ). I'm also a runner but I decided to take some time off from that so I could do Tae Kwon Do. :)

Jae Angel

ED: Oh yeah, I forgot, I've been playing the piano for fifteen years now. I write and perform my own songs. I also love to draw and you can see some of my drawings (many have to do with SW) on the Fan Art message board. :)

16. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    well i read,post on message boards,watch movies and tv and the history channel alot. and since i am lifegaurd with the keys to the pool i sneak in and swim since a ymca membership is so d@mn exspencive.

17. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    What free time?

I teach astronomy/astrophysics, I observe
    with two different astronomy clubs. Wait a minute, did I just reinforce rather than dispell?

18. Corran_Katarn

Corran_Katarn Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2001
    I read (Star Wars, Wheel of Time, Lord of the Rings) and play a lot of DDR.

19. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Sorry, total internet geek here.
    I run numerous websites, learning new computer stuff (C++, XML, Java), 3D graphics, regular computer graphics, and such.

I also spend way too much time on the JC :)

But in RL, I play some ping pong, and like music, I'm hoping to goto a Creed concert Feb 1, my first concert :D

¤Night

20. jed-eye

jed-eye Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 10, 2000
    i am a geek :(

21. Zyra

Zyra Jedi Master star 1

Nov 6, 2001
    The only way people would know I was a geek was if they saw me at home doing geeky things like reading Star Wars comic books and, well, posting on this message board (no offense, guys) But outside of that I love to surf, but since it's winter I spend most of my time skiing. Love rollerblading, hiking, playing my guitar, watching movies and eating nachos. I guess I'm also a bit of a geek since I don't like going to clubs and bars and stuff, which is what most people my age do. I'd rather stay home and watch a movie or something. I don't get to meet a lot of people, but oh well, I hate those places anyway.

22. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Look im obsessed with the EU. The JC is literlly my life. Who cares, I mean at least im not a messed up drug using has 5 children by the time hes 15 kinda child.

23. wilde_karrde2002

wilde_karrde2002 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2002
    I'm a big sports fan. I love to read American history, if I don't have any SW to read. I also got a dvd player for Christmas, so I've been checking out a lot of dvds.

24. Communista

Communista Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2001
    Lol, this is great.

Actually I'm a law student, with everything that entails. :) I keep my geek side hidden, deep, deep down, and only let it show when I pour over the newest book, grin like an idiot when watching the movies, and post semi-coherently in forums. However, I too, know th trial of writing (secretky) a sci-fi novel.

Hey, I'm suprised how many of us are into weights!! What's the deal with that?

adious amigos

25. Ghent99

Ghent99 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2001
    I play my guitar quite often (Zeppelin, Van Halen stuff) and am also into working out when possible. Know a ton of people, but not too many would I call true friends. I am a geek though, spend a lot of time reading Star Wars and reading SW related stuff online.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.