main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Off Topic: Dispelling the Star Wars Geek stereotype- What do you do in your free time?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMasterAaron, Jan 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarahpie

sarahpie Jedi Master star 1

Dec 9, 2001
    Well, I'm a college student...So classes are pretty much my life. But, when I'm not doing that, I like to hang out with my friend. I love seeing Rocky Horror Picture Show. I'm also in training to be an EMT-B and plan on being a Paramedic. Oh yeah! I'm also a national officer for HOSA (Health Occupations Students of America) Ummm...*thinks* That's about it..Well, besides sleeping. Sleep is nice.

2. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Just to throw this thread even further off-topic, for those who go to college, where does everyone go? I'm at NYU majoring in math, as I mentioned earlier in this thread. And I'd just like to point out (read brag) that as a math major I get very little homework and no papers. So for those of you who don't know what you want to major in, or are still in high school, math does have its benefits.

Amazing.

3. Beowulf81

Beowulf81 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2000
    I go to college: University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB). I'm a Junior there in Business Management. I am also the Assistant Manager at two of the local Planet Smoothies. I workout in what little free time I have and read like nobody's business.

4. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    I am at the University of Kansas.

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!

JMA

5. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    Nobody else goes to college?

JMA

6. sarahpie

sarahpie Jedi Master star 1

Dec 9, 2001
    I go to Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska.

GO BLUEJAYS!

And, since my best friend goes to KU, I guess I can say GO JAYHAWKS!

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    "OK children, listen, because I'm only going to say this once: There's a time and a place for everything and it's called college."

Ah Chef is right but...been there, done that. Currently trying to get a bit of temping and a job in the real world, unlike you bloody studnts! :)

The best thing about not being a student is being able to tell jokes about students! :)

Jedi Ben

8. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Well, other than the ambiguous "hang out with my friends", I do lots of homework (anyone who knows what the International Baccalaureate program is can appreciate this). I write fan-fic (99% is Star Wars, but some Max Payne, Half-Life, and Homeworld stuff is in the works, with some AvP stuff on the far back burner), Moderate some messageboards, edit a very popular 'Aliens' website, and other random things too numerous to list, such as volunteer work at a pet shelter, among other things.
    Star Wars is one of many things I'm heavily involved in.

9. ImperialGirl

ImperialGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2001
    I'm a graduate student, a freelance fantasy writer, I sing in our Church choir (youngest member) sometimes play the flute, take care of my pet budgerigar, and sleep whenever possible, which isn't often.

10. Lisse

Lisse Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2001
    I attend college, so obviously most of my time goes to my classes, my homework (five hours a night! yeesh!), and happy little things like papers and essays. I'm also on a varsity team, so I spend a lot of time practicing. I hang out with my friends, I talk to people at home on IM, I spend a lot of time at the gym, and I go to parties. I'm also a bit of a prep and a jock, or so I've been told.

As for fitting in with the stereotype...I work with computers a lot (that's my on-campus job), I spend a lot of time on the Internet, I write fanfic for lots of fandoms, I lurk at the JC, I've gone to cons dressed up as a Jedi...you name it, I've probably done it. People are very surprised when they see my Star Wars doodles. It's something along the lines of "You like Star Wars? You?!" Then I have to whip out my plastic lightsaber and whap them. :) ;)

11. Jedi_Steve

Jedi_Steve Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 30, 2001
    Well, I'm probably not looked at as a geek by most people, but many that know me actually admire my love for Star Wars (which was introduced to me at a VERY young age :)). I collect SW figures and used to collect SWCCG, I read some of the EU whenever I can (reading NJO right now). I spend an hour or two on the net each day, talking with a few friends, lurking on these boards, and reading the news on the sites.
    I am also reading Lord of the Rings, which is awesome.
    I live in Santa Barbara, CA (I don't think I'll ever be able to move away :))
    Most of my time is taken up by school (junior in HS) and all the work that comes with it. I get good grades, and am going to try and keep that up.
    I will soon be working at my dad's new import store.
    I'm not into partying too hard, or doing drugs or anything like that (I hate what it does to people).
    I love sports. I watch professional baseball (Dodgers, Mariners), basketball (Lakers), and football(Raiders, Chargers) all the time. I surf whenever possible, and I love to shoot hoops.
    I love the Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Tool, Deftones, Chili Peppers, and numerous other bands. I can't stand pop music :)
    I am a big movie man....Star Wars is, and always will be at the top of my list, with Jurassic Park, Indianna Jones, and Lord of the Rings coming in after.
    I am very interested in filmmaking, and once and awhile make little short films for fun.

I guess I have geeky and normal sides to me, and that's just fine, because I'm happy...and no one gives me any trouble :)

12. AmberBlade

AmberBlade Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2002
    Ghent99 .... sorry this took so long. I've been busy preparing for two auditions.

The band I was in when I was reading at a bar was a Top 40 Cover band. Currently I am auditioning for an original Rap/Rock band similar to Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit.

I'm also going to the open audition for Limp Bizkit. As you may know Wes left the band and the band is holding open auditions for a new guitarist.

I'll keep you guys updated. Definitely plan to have Darth Maul painted on my guitar if I get the Limp Bizkit job. I also want an R2D2 shaped Amp.

On another note. Why can't I see my Icon? Can you guys? (Newbie question ... I know)

13. Sache8

Sache8 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2000
    Believe it or not, most people are relieved to find out I'm a Star Wars fanatic- because of my very strong and real religious beleifs, I only wear skirts and dresses, and have never cut my hair. As such is the case, I'm first labeled a goody-two-shoes religious geek. This I consider quite a compliment, but it's actually funny when they find out I love Star Wars, cause they get this look on their faces like "Are you allowed?" Haha. I love it.

Sarlaac, I think English accents are way cool, and very nice to listen to. I read the Harry Potter and Chronicles of Narnia aloud to my brother using an English Accent.

Pearl_Burrows, at my school we called them band twinkies ;). But they never seemed to mind. The only reason I wasn't one of them is because there weren't any strings.

Hey Jag_Fel, I play the violin too! Not much lately though. Too much school and not enough money.

No fair Shara! I was going to mention Jane Austen first! If you want a really great site for Jane Austen "geeks," check out www.pemberley.com. I'm a huge fan of classic and children's literature. Right now I'm actually tackling Nicholas Nickleby, the first Charles Dickens book I'm determined to actually finish.

Music- I love the songs my dad writes. My CD collection is made up almost entirely of soundtracks, including several by my musical idol- John Williams. I also like Michael Card, Jaci Valasquez, Alison Kraus, Nickel Creek, Charlotte Church, and Fernando Ortega. Any of you guys heard of them? ;)

I read a lot, go to the movies a lot more than is good for me, skim these forums every day, and procrastinate on homework everyday. Right now I'm counting down the hours till Dark Journey.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.