main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Evan, IN off topic: math question

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Cindy, Mar 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cindy

Cindy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 15, 2007
    There's no shortage of geeks here, but I was hoping an obliging math nerd might be in the group.
    I already know the answer, but here's the question. (HINT: log did not work for Nathan or for me)

If you can solve for n and show me how you got your answer(s), let me know! My solution set has two values for n.

1^(n) = 1^(n+1)

PS it's for funsies, not for a grade.

2. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Nothing funsies about maths :p

3. WedgesOtherNephew

WedgesOtherNephew Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    and with that in mind...I'll go ahead and take my "grade."

Unless the answer is 4.

4. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 1, 2006
  5. yoda_pimp

yoda_pimp Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 18, 2002
    If the answer is not 42, then what does it matter? 42 is the only number we need...

PSA for the day:
    Friends don't let friends do math.

6. GeekGoddess

GeekGoddess Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    It's been a minute since I've done something like this, and I'm not sure if I'm reading the notation correctly, but if 1^(n) means 1 to the (n)th power, then n=all positive real numbers or the absolute value of all positive & negative real numbers, since 1 to any positive real power will always equal 1. Zero does not count since it is neiter positive or negative.

Example: {edited to insert ifs and thens}

If n=2, then 1^2=1x1=1 and 1^(2+1)=1^3=1x1x1=1
    If n=|-4|, then 1^|-4|=1^4=1x1x1x1=1, and 1^(|-4|+1)=1^(4+1)=1^5=1x1x1x1x1=1

Is that geeky enough for you? :-B

7. Ulkesh2

Ulkesh2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    Uh, remember there is a difference between being a geek or being a nerd. Geeks and nerds both like sci-fi (that's a given -like fish and water). But not every geek can do the math like a nerd. So geeks are mathless nerds. Away with your fancy mathmatics trickery! Shoo! Shoo!
    [face_shame_on_you]
    :D

8. Cindy

Cindy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 15, 2007
    I've left you mathletes in suspense for long enough. I had a math teacher check my logic, but she couldn't solve for n, either. [face_frustrated]

Red is by the way, quite awesome, as she solved for n. I'd planned on the reward being a mini-chair massage at the GM, but in her case, I guess a star will have to suffice.

(Here's your congratulatory star = * )
    Answers: n [-1, 0]
    It's a play on the unique qualities of 1 and the rule that anything to the 0 power is 1.

Any number to the "0" power is 1. Therefore, 1^(0) = 1, just as 42^(0)=1

To solve for the a number to a "negative" power, one takes inverts and uses the positive value. In 1^(-42), it would be 1^(1/42). Using the original example, it reads: 1^(1/1)

PS This post was made on a Mac.

9. GeekGoddess

GeekGoddess Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Doh! I forgot about the x^0 = 1 rule. Not bad for not having a math class in 5-6 years though. :) And I'll take a raincheck on that mini-chair massage. I will come back for a visit one day. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.