main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Off-Topic: Top Ten Fantasy scenes ever

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Gandalf the Grey, Feb 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Here's my list...

10. A Storm of Swords: The "trial" of Tyrion Lannister. ?You raped my sister! You murdered my sister! And then you killed her children!? Over and over again, this line is repeated. This is such a classic David vs. Goliath, Good vs. Evil fight. That is, until the very end?

9. The Gilded Chain: Durendal?s battle against Harrar after the death of Wolfbiter. Durendal is pushing forty, past his physical prime. His opponent has the body of a young God, strong, fast, and tireless. Durendal has over twenty years experience fighting, but his foe has over three hundred at the very least. His foe was one of the best in the world three hundred year ago, and has improved since then. He knows Durendal?s style of fighting well, having been taught it by a master, while his own style is completely foreign to Durendal. Durendal?s only advantage is that he has both a sword and a dagger, against someone with a sword. And Durendal wipes the floor with him.

8. The Silmarillion: The choice of Lúthien Tinuviel, most beautiful of all women. The end of the story of Beren and Lúthien is perfectly bittersweet, uplifting and heartbreaking at the same time.

7. The Princess Bride: ?Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die??

6. Assassins Quest: The very end, where the extent of Fitz?s triumphs and sacrifices becomes evident. He chose to save the world, and it cost him everything. He once shone so brightly, but in the end he?s just a tired old man.

5. The Blade of Tyshalle: A man. He?s not the greatest fighter in the world by any means. As a mage, he verges on pathetic. But he lives his entire life like he?s throwing a punch. A God. His own power is immense, and he?s bolstered by the power of millions, billions of minds. Their battle will decide the fate of two worlds. Except that there isn?t a battle. Caine just stabs his foe and gets it all over with.

4. A Storm of Swords: The last hour that Tyrion Lannister spends in the Red Keep and the double murder he commits. There is something distinctly poetic and ironic about the ways that the people die, so completely suitable. I liked Tyrion before reading this scene, after reading it I knew he was my favorite character in fantasy history. [Names of the victims withheld on account of being incredible spoilers]

3. Return of the Jedi: Luke Skywalker has been driven to the edge of the Dark Side by Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine. He cuts loose, driving Vader back and forcing him to the ground. Teetering on the edge, he sees his father mechanical hand, and realizes that he?s about to make the exact same mistake. Instead of striking Vader down, he throws away his lightsaber, declaring that he is a Jedi, like his father before him.

2. Fellowship of the Ring: The Nine Walkers running through Moria, Durin?s Bane just behind them. They reach the bridge of Khazad-dûm, but it catches up. The rest of the company running across the bridge, Gandalf remains to fight the Balrog. ?You cannot pass! I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass!? he says, and destroys the bridge. The Balrog falls, but drags Gandalf down with it.

1. Lord of Chaos: Dumai?s Wells. Rand al?Thor had been being held by about forty Aes Sedai and two hundred younglings. The Shaido Aiel attacks the camp, hoping to capture Rand for themselves. In the confusion, Rand manages to free himself. Meanwhile, Perrin Aybara is attacking the Shaido Aiel with forces loyal to Rand, but is hopelessly outnumbered. Everything teeters on the edge of disaster. And then, for the first time in nearly 4000 years, a force of male channelers takes the field. Just over one hundred Asha?man gate in. They are outnumbered 400-1 against the greatest warriors in the world? and it doesn?t even matter.

?Asha?man, kill!?
    -Taim

2. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    No particular order and I'm sure I'm forgetting some that I love:

Wheel of Time: Dumai's Wells, which GtG described, as well as the battle for Emonds Field in...Book 4 maybe? The end of book 9 was pretty decent as well

Blade of Tyshalle: The whole end sequence. Good lord.

Heroes Die: The Wave :D

Legend: The whole damned siege. What a fight!

Midnight Falcon: Bane's brief "fight" with that guy whose name I forget.

Conan the Barbarian: From "You..." to "You wanna live forever?"

Army of Darkness: Maybe my boys can hold em...and maybe I'm a Chinese Jet Pilot. 8-}

Liveship Traders: Just about any scene with Paragon...or Amber...or Kennit...or the boy...or Althea...ok, fine...just about any scene 8-}

A Storm of Swords: The Battle for the Wall. This one warrants another Good Lord.

3. Gandalf the Grey

May 14, 2000
    I think that the whole of A Storm of Swords deserves a heartfelt "Good Lord!" I think I could have made my top ten list from that book alone.

In no order whatsover...
    Tyrion?s double murder
    The death of Cat and Robb
    The Hounds "trial"
    Tyrion?s "trial"
    The battle with the Others
    The battle for the Wall
    The moment when you realize that Jaime isn't really all that bad (varies)
    Littlefinger making it clear to Lysa just who the only woman he ever loved was
    Jon Snows fate
    The epilogue (!!!)

4. _Tenel_Ka_

_Tenel_Ka_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2001
    Another gooder from LotR:

"I will take the Ring. But I do not know the way."

I really liked this. It shows how brave and good he really is. There's this little country boy that has had the fate of the whole world on him. Ironic, but interesting.

5. -Vergere-

-Vergere- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    :: Thinks really hard what "The Wave" specifically refers to in Heroes Die ::

Hrm, can't figure it out... how about it what is it, IATDS?

I'll never forget that reunion scene in Heroes Die personally. If emotions ever speak louder than words or actions, that one scene proved it.

:: Tries to shield eyes from the raging PINK ::

6. Teebones

Teebones Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2000
    Being that I'm reading a Storm of Swords right now, I've found this topic quite interesting.

I agree that the scene where the Asha'men kick butt is great.

Perhaps when I finish A Storm of Swords I could better understand a lot of the scenes mentioend above.

7. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    how about it what is it, IATDS?

The Wave that Pallas Ril causes after merging with the River God, while whatshisname is fighting with that girl who likes Caine on the Bridge, after the Cats get the Silver Nets that allow them to see through Ril's disguise.

8. JadedofMara

JadedofMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    The amazing scene at Saint-Jean-Les-Eux in the amber spyglass.

The end of the golden compass...the whole last chapter.

the trial of hober mallow in foundation

The scene with Gollum, and the fire...at the end of return of the king.

er...i cant really think of anything else right now.

But the ABSOLUTE HOLY GOD-GRANDADDY of all fantasy scenes...the one one the bridge of Khazad-dum in Moria, with Gandalf. "you SHALL NOT PASS!"

Thats the best ever.

9. -Vergere-

-Vergere- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
  10. Gandalf the Grey

May 14, 2000
    JadedofMara: It's "You cannot pass" according to the books [face_plain]

11. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Because its fresh on my mind-- the last battles in The Blackgod by Keyes. Neat stuff.

12. Mandalore74

Mandalore74 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    The description of all the heroes from LOTR on two seperate hills before the battle at the gates of mordor in RotK.

13. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I dont read enough fantasy to come up with ten scenes, by I know one right off the top of my head that had a huge impact on me since I read it : The scene in The Two Towers where Gandalf the White leads the Ents and Theoden's men into battle against the forces of Saruman and the Orcs. Powerful stuff, and I cannot ****** wait to see Peter Jackson's interpretation of that scene in the next film.

14. JadedofMara

JadedofMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    Gandolf the Grey...Oh. yeah.

::goes and hides in corner::

I KNEW THAT! I have read those books more than any other books ever, but the last time i read FoTR was like 2 months ago and i saw the movie in between there.

Goodiz, an excuse to go read them again!

Anyone else here read the phillip pullman series HIS DARK MATERIALS? I would really reccomend them, they are excellent.

15. Gr-Adm-Thrawn

Gr-Adm-Thrawn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 1, 2002
    Princess Bride : "hello my name is inigo Montoya, you killed my father, Prepare to die !"
    hahahahaha yeah, that really is great isn't it !

Dune : Paul Atreides first battle with the Fremen. His victory and the loss of innocence.

Dune (again) "Tell me of the waters of your world, Muad'dib." Chani.

Conan the barbarian - a prayer to Krom. ... "... and if you do not listen, then the hell with you". hahahah

The odysee - Homer - when Ulysses kills the Cyclops upto when the Mermaids that beckon his to shipwreck. That's what you call a classic !

Dark Apocalypse by Gandalf when Pelleaon crashes the 'good old girl' right into Thrawns ship .. wonderful !

LoTR - any scene with the Nazgul. and the death of Boromir. ahhh Redemption is so sweet.

Dark Tides - M.A. Stackpole - when Anakin Solo wields 2 lightsabers. Anybody know the meaning of TOTAL control?

"Ninja Scroll" - anime - when the Ronin faces the blind samurai upto when he's hanging from the cliff and whispers to the woman Ninjatoga "I'd rather hang from your lips." ... kssss OK OK it's cheesy but hey, it's great.

At last (but not least) from the movie "Brotherhood of the wolves" the intro of the heroes and the battle that ensues with the villages bullies. Classic.

Well, it looks like 10 isn't enough.. but I think I'll stop here.

16. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    Wasn't it Luke who handled two sabers?

17. Gr-Adm-Thrawn

Jan 1, 2002
    nope, page 260 dark tide ruins - Anakin Solos' got 2 lightsabers :D I love these scenes.

18. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    Luke did it when rescuing Jacen in Onslaught.

19. DaJames2

DaJames2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2002
    Wheel of Time - Virtually any scene with Mat Cauthon is as a scream. I think he's the only character in a series with 1000s that doesn't take himself seriously. He makes the series constant drag worthwhile.

Assassin's Quest - I really liked the first 2/3s of this book with Fitz at the very bottom (hell, he's even killed) determined to get revenge and then on the run. Pure beauty. I also like the new Fitz book.

LoTR - too many scenes that are just sooo good. For example, Aragorn standing up to the paranoid Eomer, Merry vs. the Witch-King, Isengard getting crushed right under the Ents without them breaking a sweat, the return of Gandalf, the list goes on. One of my personal favourites are the Tom Bombadil scenes, they actually are quite interesting once you know who Tom and Goldberry are.

The Elenium/Tamuli by David Eddings - any scene where the knights intimidate someone. The Seeker finally provides a worthy, truly scary villain, much more so than the God Azash himself.

Belgariad/Mallorean - lots of favs here, the absolute best been Belgarath vs. the evil guy in the Tower (i always forget his name, C-something, looks like a corspe) That fight really brings the house down. :)

Star Wars - "Luke, i am your father" will always be in the back of my mind, but there are plenty of others : Luke 'Double-Saber' Skywalker minces some Vong in Onslaught, the Wraiths, playing as Kyle Katarn and literally slaughtering stormies. it's all good :D

20. Gr-Adm-Thrawn

Jan 1, 2002
    Oh hey .. I almost forgot from "han Solo and the Lost Legacy"
    in the first chapters when Han dumps a huge heap of Dung on the obnoxious hot shot .. LOL .. that's a nice scene.

21. virtualoctopus

virtualoctopus Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 2, 2001
    Lord of the Rings - two here. Moria in general, especially Gandalf vs. the Balrog. Also Shelob. That really scared me when I read it when I was 10.

The Enpire Strikes Back- "I am your father"

Return of the Jedi- The Luke vs. Vader Duel.

The Belgariad - When Garion returns to Faldor's farm, and realises that he can never return there.

22. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    1. Lord of Chaos: When the Aes Sedai pledge fealty to Rand

2. Winter's Heart: When Rand is in the cell in Far Madding.

3. Winter's Heart: When Matt meets Tuon, daughter of the nine moons, his wife.

4. Wizard's First rule: when Richard explains to Kahlan why he can touch her.

5. In stone of Tears: When Richard and Kahlan are given that special place between worlds at the end to be together.

6. In path of Daggers: when Egwene becomes the Amrilin seat.

God, I gotta stop with the Robert Jordan stuff.

7. The ending of the Redemption of althalus. sorta cliche but very expertly done cliche ending.

8. The Gandalf vs. the Balrog scene in FotR. "You can not pass." Best line of dialogue Tolkien ever wrote.

9. Battle of the five armies in the Hobbit.

10. The Hobbit: When the Dwarves sang after eating in Bilbo's hobbit hole. The only time i did not hate Tolkien's tendency to stop the story for a song.

23. _Tenel_Ka_

_Tenel_Ka_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2001
    JadedofMara: I read those books too, and I really liked the first one, but in the second one and especially in the third one, I was really disappointed, because I thought it was being very anti-christian. It was interesting, but troubling.

24. stevo

stevo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    Eh, its fantasy, a whole new world. Not everthing has to revolve around Christianity y'know?

25. cavalier_one

cavalier_one Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2001
    From LOTR:

The Battle of Helm's Deep - cannot wait to see that in the next movie!!

Death of Theoden

Don't read much fantasy - can we use films?? [face_smile]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.