main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Off Topic: Who would go into the best party of all time?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Gandalf the Grey, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000

I mean RPG party. No funny quips [glares]

Build a party that would be able to take on Gods and win. You have four slots. Fighter, Healer, Mage, and Thief/Assassin. One character for each slot. These characters can come out of any published fictional novel (SF, fantasy, or horror) or from any myth or legend. These characters cannot be Gods themselves. Be sure to explain why you?ve chosen these characters. Feel free to have multi-talented characters; in fact, it?s encouraged. A group that can work together would be good, but isn?t absolutely essential. Also, decide who would be the leader.

The Fighter: The first one into the fray. He needs to be big and strong, able to both dish it out and take it. This is the stereotypical hero-type, and who better to fill the role than one of 20th century fantasies most stereotypical heroes, Conan the Barbarian? He might not be terribly civilized or smart, but his track record shows that he can take on anything alive (or dead) with any sort of weapon (or none at all) and win. His thieving skills are an additional benefit. Drizzt Do?Urden is good, but he has trouble with your average demon even when equipped with heavily enchanted scimitars, while Conan hews his way through Dark Gods with a regular old ax. Minsc almost won the slot, but was disqualified when it was decided that adding him meant adding Boo as well, and that would be putting two characters into one slot.

The Healer: Cadderly. The cleric is the heart and soul of the group, and should be able to keep the massive egos of the rest of the group in check. Cadderly definitely has the power to fit into the group, and his stabilizing influence will be invaluable when the others butt heads. He?s not quite the leader that the others are though, but would be more comfortable taking a supporting role. The others I considered? Aragorn just can?t heal fast enough, Moiraine would instantly try to take over the group (and would get seduced by Conan sooner or later, but that?s another story?), and the same goes for Polgara.

The Thief/Assassin:. I?m torn. It?s all too easy to say ?Caine. Next?? In all seriousness, the Blade of Tyshalle is one of the most dangerous fictional characters ever written. Artemis Entreri was considered, along with a few others, but they don?t really match up. On the other hand?. Tas Burrfoot is? Tas Burrfoot. I suppose that there really shouldn?t be any sort of debate. One is responsible for single handedly saving the world on a couple of occasions, and the other is a paraplegic. Sigh. Heroes Die, but Tas just keeps coming back, and he?ll fill the Thief/Assassin slot.

The Mage: The obvious choice would be Gandalf the Grey, wisest of the Maia, but I discarded him as being too weak. Lúthien Tinuviel is stronger (heck, she?s Vala strength!), but I decided that she wouldn?t want to be separate from Beren for too long. Merlin is too eccentric, Raistlin too power-hungry and his nephew Palin too weak (One good spell was all he had), Belgarion too naïve, Luke Skywalker no match for the man I have in mind. Rand al?Thor has the power, will, leadership abilities, and intelligence to do the job. There?s only one little problem? he?s stark raving mad. On the other hand, he wasn?t always crazy. Lews Therin Telamon, the Dragon, is Rand al?Thor reborn (and vice-versa). The Dragon is an expert swordsman, capable of joining Conan on the front lines, or falling back to utterly annihilate his enemies with the fully trained strength of the most powerful channeler ever. Balefire, anyone?

There you have my ideal group. Conan, Cadderly, Tas, and Lews Therin. If I were a Dark God, I?d be very careful not to plot anything evil while they were around :)

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I agree with Conan and Lews Therin, but don't know who those other two are. I think, though, that the Necroscope's son (his name eludes me) should have a slot, as not only does he have all the strength, cunning and metamorphic abilities of a Wamphyri but he also has the Necroscope's abilities.

Conan: I've killed better men than you for less than this.

3. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Cadderly is the hero of RA Salvatore?s Clerics Quintet. Typical Salvatore character. :)

Tas Burrfoot is from Weis and Hickman?s Dragonlance series. The head of the good pantheon is one of his close, personal friends. He?s saved the world (sometimes by accident) on several occasions. He?s been the Abyss and back (at least twice that I can think of right off). He carries Rabbitslayer, which is I suspect to be a Hackmaster +12. He?s a kleptomaniac. I think that he?s one of the most endearing characters in fantasy. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.