1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Adelaide (21-23rd November) | Brisbane (28th-30th November)

FF:NZ OFF TOPIC - Xena on DVD...

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by NZPoe, Sep 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NZPoe Jedi Master

star 4
    Sorry for the off-topic post guys, but I need to reach out to all my fellow kiwi geeks for some assistance!

I'm desperately seeking to buy, rent, or borrow a single disc from the 4th season of "XENA: WARRIOR PRINCESS". I played the villain on episode 16 - "The Way" and I would really love to have a DVD-quality copy of this episode AND be able to listen to the audio-commentary (for sentimental reasons - it was one of the best gigs i'd worked on in terms of fun-factor), but I really really really don't want to buy the entire season which I would not watch (I'm not a Xena fan sadly) and would basically waste space and gather dust on my shelf.

I am willing to pay money just for the privelidge of borrowing a copy.

Please if anybody out there knows somebody who could help me, especially if they're in Auckland, I would be really appreciative! Thanks and sorry again for the off-topic post.

:)
  2. Kitt327 Jedi Master

star 4
    According to the Auckland City libraries online catalogue, it's available for borrowing at the central city library. I'd say that would be a good bet.

http://www.aucklandcitylibraries.com/

e: It's a funny thing about Xena ... not many people even saw it in New Zealand, but it has a huge fan base in the states. We studied the Xena fandom in one of my university papers ... there were all these Americans flying into Auckland just to see Michael Hurst in his latest play etc.
  3. SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Knight

star 3
    Plus, it has a MASSIVE lesbian following, because of the supposedly unspoken gay subtext between Zena and her companion (whose name escapes me.) My aunt in Denmark and her partner (who are gay) were obsessed with it. When they came here five years ago on holiday they were amazed at how low profile it was. I think they were expecting it to be a similar scale to what LOTR was a few years ago.
  4. NZPoe Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks Kitt, but the online library catalogue reckons they only have the first season on DVD. I'll keep trying though :)

Yeah fandom can be very interesting. I went to see Bruce Hopkins (Gamling - TTT/ROTK) do his Scottish-Play with the ATC and I met up with three Ringers who flew over from the States and were over the moon to see "Gamling" live on stage. I told Bruce afterwards and he was chuffed, but very very very puzzled.
  5. Kitt327 Jedi Master

star 4
    supposedly unspoken gay subtext between Zena and her companion

There's one episode, which we watched in a lecture, where three Xena fans in the 20th century clone Xena, Gabrielle, and possible Joxer. The fans represent three stereotypes of fandom ... one of the girls is a shipper for Xena/Gabrielle, while the other wants Xena and Ares, or something. The third one is a guy who just wants to see Xena naked :) So in that case, it definitely wasn't unspoken. The producers liked to play with the fans a bit, especially in the later seasons. I remember this lecturer ran a video for us of all the lesbian subtext moments edited together.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.