main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Offending the Union Jack Flag

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by DarthArsenal6, Mar 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MOTs_Minx

MOTs_Minx Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 26, 2000
    Yeah...well Alex Ferguson is a dyke jumping ****!

I still stand by my statement that no foreign players should be allowed to play for UK teams.

2. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Ooh_Aah_Cantona Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 13, 2000
    My penny's worth. until the development of young players is sorted they should do it. No need why the team should lnaguish. And then it can be like Ireland and young kids will want to play football again and come through ranks. Something has to be done about the number of foreigners though. It's killing small national teams like Scotland. I for one want to see a strong Scottish team.

It's always more fun when we beat them then. ;)

3. Gav Daragon

Gav Daragon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 25, 2000
    Feeling all patriotic

I still prefer Flower of Scotland though

4. Poodu

Poodu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 3, 1999
    Alex Ferguson is a dyke jumping ****

Now there's a strange image....

5. Gav Daragon

Mar 25, 2000
    Can you imagine all those Americans that are eligable to play for Ireland? ;)

6. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 27, 2000
  7. Poodu

Poodu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 3, 1999
    Yeah, but we know they're hopeless at real sports... that's why they had to invent ones that no-one else can play...

8. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Dec 13, 2000
    and call it a world series......

9. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    Okay...sounds like a trip to the JC beckons... ;)

//Snigger

10. MayhemUK

MayhemUK Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2001
    Just to clear up the misconception about baseball's World Series... it's called that because it was first sponsored by the WORLD newspaper in the US... hence the name. Nothing to do with the globe as a whole.

If the Scots have their German manager... double bonus for beating them in the future ;) :p

11. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    //sigh

Mat...once again you miss the POINT!!!

We don't really give a toss about why its called the World Series.

You are far too american for your own darn good!

12. LadyVader81

LadyVader81 Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 2, 2001
    its a rip off of rounders anyway ;)

13. Gav Daragon

Mar 25, 2000
  14. MayhemUK

Mar 20, 2001
    You expect me not to be ever so slightly American tainted after dating one for so long Cass? ;)

15. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    Well I aint over-English am I cuz I'm with Jon.

I refuse point blank to be any-English anyways ;)

...apart from the Newt accent

16. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Dec 13, 2000
    according to this, the newspaper sponsorship isn't why it's called the world series.

urban myth

17. MayhemUK

Mar 20, 2001
    Hmmm... some other websites and reference materials (obviously the ones I've read) had better check their facts then...

18. Darth Scourge

Darth Scourge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 4, 2000
    Yeah, why can't England's national anthem be LHG? The Celts of this island get their own anthem but we Saxons have to use that plodding dirge.
    Alpha Wolf... I don't know about the swastika being a Roman peace symbol, but I do know that it has been used by many cultures for thousands of years, including Europeans, Native Americans and it's even used in Judaeism. However, the symbol which the nazis used (and tainted) was a runic sunwheel, used by the pagan Norse, Anglo-Saxon and Teutonic peoples.

19. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001
    "I don't know about the swastika being a Roman peace symbol, but I do know that it has been used by many cultures for thousands of years, including Europeans, Native Americans and it's even used in Judaeism. However, the symbol which the nazis used (and tainted) was a runic sunwheel, used by the pagan Norse, Anglo-Saxon and Teutonic peoples."

See what I mean they have to go and steel someone elses symbol because they are too dam thick to think about themselfs.

Well I hope in the world cup we show a good example when Saint Georges Flag is displayed
    and those hooligans yobbos who ruin it for all of us-well I hope they all get arrested before the Cup.

Just wanted to know what is exactly is our culture(English) anyway ?

PS thanks to the people who mention that
    being English is not the colour of your skin but where you been born and where you have
    been brought up.

20. Darth Scourge

Darth Scourge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 4, 2000
    The English are actually a rather exciting mixture of pre-Roman Celtic peoples, (who themselves intermingled with a proto-Scandinavian race who were indiginous to Britain from when Scotland and Norway were still linked by a land bridge, and who were living here long before the Celts invaded from mainland Europe) mixed with post-Roman Empire tribes of Angle, Saxon & Jute settlers, and with a rather large dose of Viking in there... particularly in northern England's Danelaw regions. (And, grudgingly... maybe a little bit of Norman too.)

21. Simone

Simone Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 17, 2001
    I have never really thought as the Union Jack as representing fascim. The Union Jack is now the offical flag of Northern Ireland, how can that be? I wouln't worry about it, it's the British flag, your British why can you not wear it with proud?

22. MayhemUK

Mar 20, 2001
    Because liberal left-wing ***** think it would offend ethnic minorities. Sure we HAVE to cater to their religion, holidays, festivals etc, but woe betide celebrating our own! Ethnic peeps don't mind either way, it's another case of "do as we tell you, not how we do" attitude...

23. DarthArsenal6

Oct 16, 2001
    I always thought it was groups like the BNP
    who tarnished the Union Jack
    ( as well as other facist groups who use the saint Goerge flag)

( By the way I'm Asian- Pakistan orgin)
    It's because of them I thought(when I was young) people who displayed the flag or flags were racists. And I'm thinking of some the Immiagrants, Assylm seekers, ethenic groups in England and people who from ASia and Africa, what are they going to say ?
    Some of my friends are mixing the sharwarts Sticker with the Union Jack Flag ( in terms of meaning)

Why doesn't the gov do something about it and arrest anyone who use the Union Jack Flag and Saint Georges flag as symbol of White Supremacy. You don't see the US FLAG
    used it that manner-(Even ask Wormie2)

PS because i'm born and raised here, am I classed as English ?

24. MayhemUK

Mar 20, 2001
    You are whoever you want to class yourself as. Some of my Asian friends think of themselves as English/British, and some of them still regard themselves mainly as Indian/Pakistini etc.

I'd be disappointed if you thought myself as being part of that right wing faction just for wanting to fly the national flag. Nobody ever complains when the Scottish/Welsh/Irish flags are flown. But the general population of England are made to feel bad for wanting to display our own flag just because of a small minority and the rampant anti-English feelings of left-wing liberals...

25. DarthArsenal6

Oct 16, 2001
    Well said MayhemUK
    these days I don't think you're racist simply
    flying the Union jack or the Saint George Flag.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.