main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX OFFICAL: Bakula to be next Trek Captain

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by m0rpheus, May 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2000
    Finally an announcement of sorts:

TrekWeb.com--
    Paramount has finally made it official in a press release from Paramount Network Television: the next 'Star Trek' series will titled 'Enterprise'. The show will star actor Scott Bakula as 'Captain Jonathan (not Jackson, as previously believed) Archer', "a physical and intensely curious captain with a bold personality." Interestingly, this limited press release DOES NOT confirm that the series' premise is, in fact, a prequel; however, if these long-speculated rumors are true, you can bet the rest of it is unless there's a huge curve ball coming.

Bakula comments, "Obviously, I love the genre and am a long-time fan of Star Trek. I am also thrilled to be working on a TV series again with Kerry McCluggage and Garry Hart, a relationship that dates back to 1988 with 'Quantum Leap."

Rick Berman added, "We couldn't be happier, Scott personifies the charm and intelligence that the role calls for."

As of now, this is the FIRST and ONLY official information regarding the fifth 'Star Trek' series, and it appears that the YEARS of speculation were right. If one thing's for sure, Paramount sure can't keep a secret.

PR: http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/010510/lath131.html.

2. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    *sigh* My old nemesis Berman---we meet again for the first time, for the last time.....yeah.

I suppose I'll give it a shot. It couldn't possibly be more uninspired than Voyager, could it?

3. THX_Jedi

THX_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    Someone please impeach Berman (targ batak). It can't be anything other than another Voyager with him involved.

4. m0rpheus

Nov 27, 2000
    Maybe not, Jedi. Bakula would only come on the show if he had MAJOR CREATIVE INPUT. This has been known for some time, and is why some fans were hoping Bakula would get the role because maybe he'd be listened to.

Here's what ViacomGirl at AICN is reporting this morning:

============
    Scott Bakula is being paid a small fortune to join this "Enterprise" but what's more important is that he gave SIGNIFICANT input into the script, particularly his character, and ALL OF IT was heeded. Everything he asked for was done.

Scott likes "Star Trek" but isn't some obsessive fan. He seems primarily concerned with characterization and emotion and there's even more cause for rejoycing in the fact that he sees no value in "technobabble."

Mr. Bakula isn't content just to collect a hefty paycheck. He intends to do good work and will not settle for mediocrity. He's bringing a great deal of humor and humanity to the role and if this show has any chance for success -- it rests solely on his shoulders.

He's empowered to have opinions and from what I've seen, every single idea he's brought to the table was inspired and RIGHT ON!
    ============

I for one am hopeful.

For that whole article and the announcement of the characters go here:
    http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=8977
    And speculation on the characters played by the fully announced cast go here:
    http://www.trektoday.com/news/110501_01.shtml

5. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    I sincerely hope that's true. I've always loved Trek, and it's been painful to see what it's turned into lately. I hope Bakula really does have a lot of creative input, and that his ideas are really good. I'm not too keen on the setting of the series, as we already know generally what will happen.

But if it is a prequel series and it does involve first contact with the Klingons, then we could have another potential DS9 story arc with a huge war in the background. Now THAT, I would definitely be on board with. :)

6. m0rpheus

Nov 27, 2000
    I know this is wishful thinking on my part, but I'm hoping that Berman&CO realized they had a failed primise with a failed captain with Voyager, and saw that it was a no win, hopeless situation a few years back and they just got lazy with it. It seems that everyone at VOY from the cast to the crew were very unhappy about working there. If Berman doesn't bring in FRESH blood for behind the scenes on this new series, then maybe just the freshness of working with Bakula and a new concept will revitalize them to do something special with the series. I know I'm hoping, but if you look at the glass as "half full", it was Berman who revitalized TNG once Roddenberry let go, and also helped create DS9 - the best TREK to date. So maybe, just maybe....

7. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    As much as I don't like what Berman has done with Voyager and the recent movies, you are right, Eric. He turned TNG around when he took over, and he was instrumental in setting up DS9. So here's hoping he can manage to hit a home run with this.

Also, I was reading an article on Cinescape yesterday with the screenwriter of Trek X. I really liked his comments, and now, I'm hoping for a good result for that film as well. Considering it's probably the last time they'll be able to get the entire TNG crew together for a movie, I hope they really blow people away.

8. stone

stone Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2000
    trek 10 will rock for the simple reason that it's an even number.

9. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    You know, Stone, I'd like to believe that a good Trek movie has to do with a good script, good acting, big budget, etc......but you're right. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.