main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spok, WA Officer Elections - Results are up!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Earwen_Lightrider, Feb 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    It's been quite a few years since our last election and we've added the Comm Comm Officers to our list since then. So this is the point where you volunteer for a position or nominate someone else. We want to make sure everyone has a say, so I recommend we give the nomination phase a month. If you are nominated and wish to decline the nomination, please make it known. I'd like to schedule a meeting in March where we can vote as well as plan out the next quarters meetings. Thanks!

The leadership of The Spokantina shall consist of a Chapter Representative, President, Recording Officer (Secretary/Treasurer), Recruitment Officer, and Webmaster. An Active Member may hold more than one office. If a vacancy of any leadership position should occur, the group shall nominate and vote for a replacement to serve out the remainder of the term.

FanForce Chapter Representative (Elected: Serves 1 year, may run for re-election.)

* Serves as liaison between FanForce and The Spokantina
    * Prepares announcements for posting on the FanForce forum
    * Chairs meetings
    * Sets meeting agenda items
    * Coordinates the production of promotional materials
    * Establishes and maintains contact with outside organizations for the promotion of the club
    * Coordinates promotional activities

President (Elected: Serves 1 year, may run for re-election.)

* Serves as a mediator in major group issues
    * Will only be called upon in times of need or when a major rule has been broken
    * Serves as a back-up to the FanForce Chapter Representative when dealing with sensitive issues
    * Must have reasonable access to respond in a timely manner
    * Keep ongoing communication with the entire group

Recording Officer [Secretary/Treasurer] (Elected: Serves 1 year, may run for re-election.)

* Writes and publishes meeting minutes
    * Records attendance and reports to the City Representative
    * Coordinates the announcement of meetings/activities
    * Determines if quorum is met at each meeting
    * Maintains finances [should the group decide to go in on something together or do a charity fund raiser]
    * Keeps records of finances and reports account balance at meetings when applicable
    * Makes payments to charities after event, and writes checks for payment of supplies needed for club events

Recruitment Officer (Elected: Serves 1 year, may run for re-election.)

* Recruiting new members
    * Acclimate new members (signing by-laws, etc.)
    * Work public relations

Webmaster (Elected: Serves 1 year, may run for re-election.)

* Coordinates the production of promotional materials
    * Maintain website
    * Prepares announcements for posting on the The Spokantina website

2. Raph1613

Raph1613 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2004
    Out of curiosity, do we have a list of current Officers?

Also, didn't we sentence Kelli to being President For Life?

3. Earwen_Lightrider

Jan 17, 2004
    Current officers (as far as I can tell):

Chapter Rep: Chris
    President: Kelli
    Webmaster: John
    Comm Comm Officers: Alfredo, Erik, Mason

The position shouldn't be a sentence :p

Okay, from what I gathered from the Event Coordination thread, this is the role of the Comm Comm Officer. If I missed anything, please let me know.

Comm Comm Officers [Event Coordinators] (2-3 person mini committee)

- Get ideas for events, meetings, outings
    - Coordinate the best times and locations for meetings for all members
    - Ensure that meetings are posted here, the website, and the facebook group and that memebers are called
    - Organize reliable communications between all members for emergency plan changes
    - Coordinate between each other to make sure that one coordinator is alway at specified locations on time
    - Serve as a point of contact so that members can call no more than three numbers to find out any event detail needed
    - Specifying between major and minor official events and unofficial events (see examples below)

The only requirements for these positions are that you live in Spokane and have the time and dedication to make it work. Having 2-3 members involved will make it easier to make sure everything runs smoothly.

Major/Minor/Unofficial: By categorizing an event, and labeling it in the forum, anyone will know what commitment of coordination the actual event will have. Two examples would be Smudge's costume meeting and the BBQ. How I see things going, Smudge's is a minor meeting, requiring no serious commitment of other people, but an open house with a clear setting and direction (and of course the hope of a good turn out).
    The BBQ on the other hand is obviously a Major event. Interest needs to confirmed, how much and what food will be available, carpooling (sharing gas money) to help lower individual's transportation cost, that kind of stuff. Plus, one of the ComCom should be declared the official contact (committed to being there early and answering calls to help guide others there.) Unofficial events are things like birthday parties for which the host of the event is solely responsible.

Also, under the CR responsibility it should read:
    Prepares announcements for posting on the FanForce forum and contacts RSA with information to update the announcement header.

4. -JediClone-

-JediClone- Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 21, 2005
    I'll nominate Nat to take back the CR job. Her board moderator powers would make her effective at it.

Plus I didnt know I was supposed to be doing half the stuff listed.

5. roxez

roxez Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2007
    She doesn't have mod powers anymore, Chris.

As for the positions listed, I must have been totally not paying attention because I haven't seen anyone do any of that work.

Slackers! :p

6. The_Cheeser

The_Cheeser Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 16, 2005
    I know I may be tooting my own horn, but I think I at least qualify for the president position.

7. Eledaia

Eledaia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2004
    Take it! Nomination for Mason! Whoohoo!

8. Earwen_Lightrider

Jan 17, 2004
    I nominate John to continue as webmaster.

And Kelli, your reaction made me laugh (though I totally realize you never wanted the job).

9. Raph1613

Jan 15, 2004
    Definitely 100% on John as WebMaster!

Nat as CR (even without awesome Mod Powers) should work out great, again.
    As popular as she is online, she may as well be toting Mod Powers...
    Don't all the Mods listen to you anyway?

I'm still a little torn about not having Kelli as President.
    ...nothing against you Mason. I am more than certain that you'll do an awesome job!
    ...I'm just never good with change...

I'm okay with remaining as one of the Communication Committee, if everyone else is.
    Mason, would you be retaining your position, as well as President?

...I suppose one of us should call Erik (and everyone else) and let him know...

10. The_Cheeser

Feb 16, 2005
    Alfredo, I'll do this...

I NOMINATE KELLI FOR PRESIDENT!

You deserve your choice Alfredo.

I personally don't see that our con comm would need to change either way. Unless someone wants out or in anyway.

11. Eledaia

May 28, 2004
    Crap.

Oh, and John is waiting to be able to move all the Spokantina stuff over to a better hosting situation, and then I'm going to kick him in the butt to get those revamps back up that we had before and then lost when the hosting hiccuped.

12. The_Cheeser

Feb 16, 2005
    :D

13. the_black_smudge

the_black_smudge Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2004
    Mason, Kelli you two are funny ***t! For what it's worth, I think either of you would do a fantastic job as president.
    Also I'm good to stay on the comcom.

14. roxez

Nov 13, 2007
    I guess my thoughts on this is if we are going though the trouble of electing officials, we should have these people actually do their jobs. That then means we need "official" meetings to get the business of the group done. If we want to get that formal, I'm all for it, but I don't want to have to deal with all this if it's just going to be ignored.

Anyway, I got no problem taking more responsibility.

15. Raph1613

Jan 15, 2004
    ???
    I'm sorry, were you nominated for something?
    Or are you volunteering for something? If so, what?

Do bear in mind, Bevan, that this group gets together for the fun of it.
    It's NOT a job.
    So far, we've always been fairly casual about everything.
    That seems to be working pretty good.
    Bottom line, we all still like each other.
    :D

16. roxez

Nov 13, 2007
    I guess I was just wondering why we have the officers. Nat tells me the main reason is to keep our official status with the overall FanForce. My thought was we could get more organized and gain recognition in the community, but you're right, I don't want to turn this into a meaningless job. The position descriptions were just amusing to me. For example, I know I haven't been given the by-laws by the Recruitment Officer and I've been in the group for two years! Whoever that guy (or gal) is, they're really slacking! :p

Oh, and my other comment was my volunteering. I don't really care what, just wanted to throw my hat in as willing to help.

17. Raph1613

Jan 15, 2004
    ???
    We have by-laws?
    Wait, we have a Recruitment Officer??

If you want a position, volunteer for it. Or make one up that will work. Something like Community Outreach Event Coordinator, for example.
    It just means taking on the responsibility of very directly spearheading anything that you want to make happen. You know, getting enough people interested in being involved, without making anyone else feel that it's somehow mandatory.
    That's been one of our group's biggest challenges of the past.

18. Eledaia

May 28, 2004
    Wasn't Steve our last Recruitment officer? If not, I apologize to the current :p

19. The_Cheeser

Feb 16, 2005
    Who's Steve?

20. Raph1613

Jan 15, 2004
    ...I think that about sums him up...
    Honestly, I think I've done more Recruiting than he ever did...

So, when's the actual Election taking place?
    Bevan, are you actually volunteering for something?

21. Earwen_Lightrider

Jan 17, 2004
    Sunday's impromptu meeting sounds like a good time. We can phone/PM those not able to make it. Would that work?

22. Raph1613

Jan 15, 2004
    I realize this is VERY short/late notice, but I'd like to nominate Smudge for a Position:
    Spokantina Master-At-Arms

I know no one will dispute it, but does anyone Second the nomination?

23. Earwen_Lightrider

Jan 17, 2004
    Okay. I've gone back through the thread and hope that I haven't missed anything.

Nominations at this point:

CR:
    Natalie

President:
    Mason
    Kelli

Webmaster:
    John

Comm Comm:
    Alfredo
    Mason
    Erik

Master-At-Arms: [Is this just a title Alfredo? Or did you have some job description in mind?]
    Erik

So the first question is, does everyone accept their nomination?

Next question - do you want to wait until the next in-person meeting to vote or would you like me to ask one of the RSAs (JediYvette or Miana Kenobi) to run the vote via private messages (they have done this for other groups in the past) on here to get it done sooner?

24. The_Cheeser

Feb 16, 2005
    I accept and don't care how the vote is taken.

25. Eledaia

May 28, 2004
    I reluctantly accept and suggest the PM vote or by phone for those who don't do online, like Joe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.