main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hou, TX Officers for the Houston Fan Force

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Darth-Stryphe, May 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Greetings all.

At the meeting this last Saturday, we discussed the different officer positions we might want and need for our fan force, and who the interested candiates for each one were. We decided to go for the four basic positions: City Rep, Vice-president, Secretary, Treasurer.

The CR election is currently being hosted in another poll. As of the end of the meeting yesterday, there was still some question as to nominations for the other positions. I've clarified all nominations now, except for treasurer (I still need to hear back from Mike_Antilles).

Anyway, I'll get some polls started on these positions soon, but since we hadn't discussed these positions in much detail previously on the board, I thought I'd open a discussion thread on this topic for a couple of days first, then open the polls.

For Vice President, we have the two following candidates:

Fingorfin (Charles) and Queenie Amidala (Laura).

For Secretary: Crystala (Renee), BabyPadme (Monica), and Goldbubbly (Amanda).

Treasurer: Weaves (Tim), and Mike_Antilles (Mike) was also nominated, but I need to check with Mike and see if he is interested in the position before we start the poll for treasurer.

So any last minute thoughts, questions, discussion on these three positions?

2. goldbubbly

goldbubbly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 5, 2002
    Ok i have a couple of questions to bring up.

1)What would be the qualifications to keep in mind for all of these positions?

I don't want this to turn into a popularity contest. These are officer positions, not a candy reward for being popular. I've been in popularity contests and they suck. What WILL these positions be doing? Maybe y'all discussed this at the meeting yesterday. Unfortunately I was unable to make it to the meeting because of plans i'd made months ago, though David told me what happened at it.

I will try to PM an officer from another FF to find out what their officers do.

3. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Check with sideshow212 in Phoenix, he's our treasurer, and can tell you a lot. He's very organized, and a lot of help.

:)

4. BabyPadme

BabyPadme Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2002
    Darth-Stryphe
    I know its early but maybe you should do the poll for the next meeting....so we can see what all peoples want for now.
    You said the meeting would definatly be in mid June, right.

5. goldbubbly

Jan 5, 2002
    Thanx Obey Wann, I PM'ed sideshow.

6. crystala

crystala Jedi Master star 1

May 7, 2002
    I had previously talked with sideshow212 about what the position of a secretary entails and this is what he told me...

as secretary i basically keep track of all the paperwork, help organize events, organize the monthly meetings(and what topics we need to cover at our meetings), as well as getting all of the officers together for council meetings too. after meetings i post all the topics we covered on the board for those who couldn't make it, as well as(this is totally optional, just something i do!) put out a monthly phoenix fan force newsletter to keep everyone up to date on whats happening.
    it basically means you get to do all the dirty work! its alot of fun though! also as secretary, i try to keep up on everything going on in the city, so we dont miss out on a con or event that we can all go to as a fanforce event. and i pretty much check our city boards every day...
    so basically a secretary helps out the city rep by organizing the meetings and events.

i would suggest talking to your city rep about all the things you would like to see happen with your group, then organize some sort of calender of events, and get involved as much as possible!

7. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Darth-Stryphe
    I know its early but maybe you should do the poll for the next meeting....so we can see what all peoples want for now.

Yes, I am posting that poll this evening. Thanks for the reminder, Babypadme.

I spoke with Mikel_Antiles, he would like to run for treasurer, so the above list is indeed accurate as to who is running for officers.

8. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Why are we having these polls really, if we have so many listed above that would like to donate a huge portion of their time to the club, why not expand the office, We don't need to be like every other fanforce out there. Why dwindle the number when you have so many names listed above? I'm sure the losers of the polls will still want to take part in the activities of the group, but they will not be so inclined as to donate that same amount of time to cultivating the group because they are not obligated by 'office'

9. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Are you suggesting that all the above be given the various positions they're running for, for example, both Queenie and Fingorfin be VP, and so on? Or, are you suggestion we have more offices, new and different positions to be added?

If they first, then in my experience, with a group this size, having such a huge leadership commitee gets in the way. Also, a clear, define leader in each role gives accountablity (accountablity to whoever holds that office, the group knows with certainity who to look to for certain things), and that can really help a group stay focused and originized.

But if the later, then what other new positions would you suggest? And, I guess the question is, do we really need that many officers?

But what does everyone else think? I'd espicially like to hear from the people who are running.

10. Crunchy

Jun 29, 2000
    Stryphe, you get the award for most edits :)

Anyway, I am saying that we should consider making the runner ups, some positions to lessen the amount of time and dedication that it would normally have to run or organize a group. No doubt that the group will expand in the next couple months due to fans wanting to reach out to other fans. I think that it would be asking too much for a small group of people to try and organize something that is extracurricular like this.

I just think that if you have these people that are willing to volunteer their time for the group, then you should come up with a position for them when they don't get the one they were running for.

Just my two credits...

11. crystala

crystala Jedi Master star 1

May 7, 2002
    At the last meeting, me, BabyPadme, and Weaves talked abit just about that. Weaves had mentioned that he would like to do a newsletter or at least help, and we had talked about if I was to become secretary then I think it would be a good idea for him to help me with the newsletter. Me and BabyPadme had also talked about that whoever got the actual title of secretary, then the other would help out..like an adminstrative assistant..or as BabyPadme put it.."even a secretary needs a secretary" :)

Since Goldbubbly is also now in the running for secretary, the same deal goes for her.
    I'm sure the other people that are running for official positions feel the same way.

So far from what I have seen of the Houston Fan Force everyone really wants to help out in whatever we do. I'm not too sure about how good the idea would be about having more officer positions. So many people would be willing to help out that we would end up with assistants to assistants to assistants hehehe

I think the amount of officer positions we have are just fine and like Darth-Stryphe said it would give one person accountability.

Now that I think about it..there are two other possible positions that were just ideas...someone to deal with the computer graphics and someone to deal with making and coordinating people to send out flyers about the Houston Fan Force.

12. goldbubbly

Jan 5, 2002
    I know of other FF's that have an officer position of like 'web designer' or something like that. And I know that is a large task in its own.

I also agree with babypadme and crystala that an assitant secretary..might not be a bad idea. From the description I read that crystala got from sideshow there is quite a bit a secretary does, and i imagine losing track of somet things could be quite easily done. But if that position isn't wanted i'm sure whoever is elected will leap into the job eagerly and do things well.

-Goldy

13. dracula766

dracula766 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2002
    One person for each position would be ideal, but, in my experience, when you have others working with you, they will help you catch things that were overlooked and/or have a different approach at a problem or idea. It is possible to get too focused on a task that you happen to miss small details. Having someone working with you helps prevent that and brings more knowledge & wisdom to a cause.

besides, why blame just one person for screwin up when we can blame 2 or 3 :)

serisously though, whatever direction we decide to go, I'm sure we will do great.

I'ma go back to playing some rogue leader.
    YES I have resorted to using cheats...this game is HARD yo!

14. goldbubbly

Jan 5, 2002
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] @ dracula

And I agree with your post ;)

15. Crunchy

Jun 29, 2000
    Well me, Bebo, Truxton and I think also that Pollo guy is interested in the graphics aspect if you guys wandted to add that position into the race?

16. goldbubbly

Jan 5, 2002
    sideshow is a treasure trove of info 8-} I PM'ed him/her for info and this is what i got:

i am the secretary which basically means i am just under the city-rep (or co-city rep if you have one) in responsibilites. i make sure all the members of our fan force group are informed as to what events/meetings/charities/conventions are going on and what the times/dates are for all events that our fanforce will be participating in. i also call council meetings, where all of the officers get together and discuss the matters of running a fanforce. keeping well informed is key to this role. i am online every day, checking the boards and basically being the eyes of the city rep when she can't be online. i am also putting out a newsletter to our fanforce members to assure that they will not miss out on any events we have planned!
    so basically, keep records, keep informed, and keep a schedule!

we also have:
    co-city rep
    tresurer
    historian
    webmaster
    charity officer.

a co-city rep (even more than a secretary) helps out the city rep whenever she cannot be online, checking the boards, alerting OBEY WANN (our local RSA) if necasary. he also will help out with any workload that gets to big for the city rep.
    IMPORTANT!: CO-CITY REPS ARE NOT NECASARY UNLESS YOU HAVE A BIG FANFORCE~most fanforce chapters do not need the assistance of a co-city rep. here in phoenix, we have a huge city, and alot of people come to our boards, but you might think of not making a co-city rep until you expand as a fanforce.

the treasurer (ALSO AN OPTIONAL OFFICER POSITION!) will be in charge of collecting dues and managing the money flow and accounts. any costs accrued by fanforce will go through her with the approval of the city rep (COLLECTING DUES IS COMPLETELY OPTIONAL! YOU DO NOT HAVE TO EVEN WORRY ABOUT MONEY IF YOU DONT WANT TO, YOU CAN HAVE YOUR FANFORCE MEMBERS PAY THERE OWN WAY WHEN EXPENSES COME UP. IF YOU NEED MORE INFO ON DUES, PM ME AGAIN AND I WILL DELVE DEEPER INTO THE SUBJECT).

the historian basically takes pictures of everything to put up on the website! he may also videotape some events and make a scrapbook to remember all the events your fanforce has done together. the historian will work closely with the webmaster to get the photos online.

the webmaster (as you might have guessed) takes care of designing and maintaining the website (if you wish to have a local fanforce chapter website). if you want to take a look at ours, go to: www.phoenixfanforce.com

the charity officer is in charge of setting up charity events for the fanforce. things like food drives, blood drives, clothing rallys, childrens hospital appearences in costume(great if you have a local 501st chapter!) things like that are all her domain to organize and inform either the secretary or the fanforce herself.

i hope this helps you out, and if you have any more questions, feel fre to tap me, or come over to the phoenix board! its a great place to get ideas, you can kind of use it like a working model!

I wouldn't mind having a historian officer, but the charity drive one i'm not to sure of :confused: However this is great info to go on and sideshow is awesome 8-} thanx SS!

-Goldy

17. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Stryphe, you get the award for most edits

That's me, Lord of the Typos 8-}

Now that I am clearer on what you were suggesting, Crunchy, I do like the idea. My suggestion would be this; go ahead and elect the four given positions above. We agreed at this last meeting that we wanted these positions, so let's go ahead and fill them. During the meantime, we could discuss other possible positions or responiblities, such as web designer, historian, ect... Once the elections are over, we could basically ask the runner-ups what they would be interest in doing. For example, we elect a secretary, then of the two remaining nominees, maybe one would like to be the Co-Secretary, and the other be a historian, and if no one objects, we go ahead and assign them those responsiblities. There wouldn't be any need for further polls, we just see what the remaining nominees are interested in, then with no objections, assign them those posts.

How does this sound to everyone?

Also, on the positions of graphic designer, web designer and/or newsletter publisher, I would say, if we have people interested in these positions, everyone who's interested and has the ability (resources and talents) should do it. I don't think we need an official web designer, per say. If we have three people who are good at web design who all say they'd like to do the job, then they could all three work together, be a team. The City Rep, VP, or Secretary, could be the "team leader" that way there is still accountablity, but, to go along with Crunchy's line of thinking, I see no reason to limit these positions.

18. Luminara-Unduli

Luminara-Unduli Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2002
    how can i join this? i'm from houston.
    Luminara

19. Crunchy

Jun 29, 2000
    Just come on out to one of our meetings, like I did last Saturday and order tea (free refills) ;)

20. dracula766

dracula766 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2002
    I'm a proffesional graphic designer and I also publish my own magazine so I will gladly put my knowledge to use.
    Sadly...I'm clueless as far as web design goes...html is just a bunch of words and letters that don't make sense to me.

21. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    On the topic of more officer positions: I do not see any need for that right now. If the officers that are elected find that there is more work than they can handle, it is a simple matter to add more positions later; I think we may be getting ahead of ourselves by having such a conversation now.

22. Crunchy

Jun 29, 2000
    I agree the new jobs should be elected later, but don't count them out.

And to think I let you have some hot sauce from my bowl ;)

23. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    Pipsquack? :confused:

24. Luminara-Unduli

Luminara-Unduli Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2002
    When is the next meeting?

25. Crunchy

Jun 29, 2000
    Unduli, we're taking a poll on when the next meeting should take place. It's in another thread, go over to it and vote yourself :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.