main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official 1988 Election Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by SaberGiiett7, Aug 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maveric

Maveric Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 1999
    I can understand the need to put a mid-westerner on the ticket, but I think they could have chosen a better individual. I find it sad that every four years you hear about Quayle forming an exploratory committee to see if people want him to run and then the next day he announces he will not run.

2004 mark my words, it will happen again!

2. Kessel Runner

Kessel Runner Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 10, 1999
    Quayle will always want to be president and he will always fail....at least I hope so ;).

Both nominees were so lackluster that year. Frankly I think that Bob Dole would have had great success in 88 if he could have won the nomination, and not just because he would be riding Reagan's coattails like Shrubbery 1 did.

3. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    Who remembers"Governar if Kitty Dukakis were raped and murdered would you support the Death Penalty for her killer"(Not exact quote)

4. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I vaguely remember hearing about that, but I don't know if that kind of comment would fly today.

5. SaberGiiett7

Jul 2, 2002
    Yea he said after he'd still not favor the Death Penalty and I think that turned alot of people off to him.

6. Kessel Runner

Apr 10, 1999
    and he gained greater respect from me for that, but that's for another thread ;)

7. DARTHPIGFEET

DARTHPIGFEET Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2001
    I'm sorry but seeing Dukakis as president is down right frightening and to think people supported that guy is beyond me.

I still remember what doomed Dukakis ultimately and it wasn't all just his politics but the "Tank Commercial" Anyone remember this terrible commercial of Dukakis driving a tank with the helmet and the stupid look on his face??? That sealed the deal.

8. SaberGiiett7

Jul 2, 2002
    Was'ent he sorta Anti-Military?

9. DARTHPIGFEET

Jan 24, 2001
    Yes he was and one big reason why I wouldn't vote for him. The commercial was showing this point or something if I can remember. The commercial came from the Bush Campaign I think it was showing that Dukakis says he anti-military and if he is then what is he doing in a tank.

10. SaberGiiett7

Jul 2, 2002
    How many states did he win?

11. Kessel Runner

Apr 10, 1999
    And that tank commercial was put on the air by the Bush people. Actually it was the furlough program which was mentioned in the same commercial.

12. Imrahil

Imrahil Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 22, 2000
    As you can see here:

Dukakis won 11 states and received nearly 42 million votes. This gave him 111 electoral votes, those of Hawaii, Oregon, Washington, Minnesota, Iowa, Wisnosin, West Virginia, New York, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and Washington D.C.

Bush the Elder got nearly 49 million votes and 426 electoral votes.

13. Maveric

Oct 17, 1999
    It also didn't help that he went to give a speech at a factory promoting native business when the factory owners happened to live overseas...

14. SaberGiiett7

Jul 2, 2002
    Thats not going to win you it.

15. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    Blunders like that make me laugh. Kinda like the guy that tried to car-jack a mini-van full of martial arts students. Now that's comedy. Truth is stranger than fiction.

16. Kessel Runner

Apr 10, 1999
    All in all, I think it was a very boring election which brought us into the new age of bad and worse candidate choices. It seems to me that this past election was the epitomy of where that 1988 election has taken us. With the increasing apathy and feeling that there is no meaningful difference between the candidates from the two parties, you end up with an election where it is a photo finish and the popular vote doesn't necessarily elect the president.

I'm not tryin to start a debate on whether Gee Dubya is a good pres or not, I'm not saying that Gore would have been some great savior, on the contrary I think the evolution of elections to the point where neither candidate is particularly desired by their respective constituence hit a peak with the 2000 election (at least I hope that's the case).

17. Maveric

Oct 17, 1999
    I agree. A candidate can be assured of the fringe voters in their party's spectrum. The Democrats are going to get the lefties and the Republicans the righties. The battleground is the middle with the swing voters. The parties are too similar today and as a result you see the advent of third parties designed to steal voter support away from the big 2 (Reform & Green).

18. Kessel Runner

Apr 10, 1999
    So is the answer to have 3 or 4 parties instead of two? Won't the majority, which is necessarily in the middle of the bell curve, still have the power to manipulate the fringes?

19. Maveric

Oct 17, 1999
    As long as the Electoral College exists in its present state, we will be stuck with only two parties. If, as I have argued before in the Electoral College thread, adopted the proportional division of a state's electoral vote to resemble that of the popular vote, we might see third parties have a better chance.

20. Terr_Mys

Terr_Mys Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    So is the answer to have 3 or 4 parties instead of two?

I brought up that very same idea in this thread. It seems that way to me. The old left vs. right fight is to me a relic of the first half of the 20th century, and now people seem to vote for candidates in tradition.

21. DARTHPIGFEET

Jan 24, 2001
    There is no way that a 3rd party would ever win an election in this country while we have the electoral college. So until we get rid of that then people like me who can't stand the radical left and right from both democrats and republicans will be left with nothing. That is why I was dying for McCain to leave the Republican party and run independent. He would have taken a lot of votes from both parties and it would have been close.

22. Coolguy4522

Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    I do not think that the electoral college in entirely to blame for the 2 party system. I believe the winner-take-all system is much worse. It is nonsensical to me for a president be elected with almost no members of the same party in the legislature.
    If we adapted the legislature to allow for some kind of proportional representation, people would actually vote for third parties without feeling like they just threw their vote away.

23. Maveric

Oct 17, 1999
    He would have taken a lot of votes from both parties and it would have been close.

He wouldn't have taken enough votes to compete with the big 2. Anyway, this on the 1988 thread, so let us try to keep it there.

24. Kessel Runner

Apr 10, 1999
    Yeah, I agree about keeping this on topic. The reality is that there couldn't have been a successful third party candidate in 88 anyway.

How about this...what have been the ramifications of that election in the world today?

25. SaberGiiett7

Jul 2, 2002
    Did'ent Dukakis run againest Gore and Gephardt in the primary?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.