main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official 2004 US Elections Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Obi-Wan McCartney, Jul 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Better OUR madman than a guy who takes his marching orders from the UN/EU.

Because being as unilateral as possible will make the U.S. less hated abroad, right? :(

Eh. I shouldn't even be starting arguments right now. Too heartbroken. And it's no surprise that Kerry's challenging the results of Ohio. I think it was a given that he would challenge at least a state or two just to give the thousands of lawyers he kept on standby something to do. :(

2. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    This isn't over yet, so I think it's premature for anyone to call it. Let all of the votes get counted before we give any close state to either candidate. Let's also wait for the legal stuff to finish up (waiting for bitching on activist judges). And of course, there's that one elector in West Virginia.

This might take a while, but I certainly hope Kerry doesn't concede.

b4k4^2

3. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    which threads would you like locked Bubba?

4. JediSmuggler

JediSmuggler Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 1999
    Dark Lady Mara

With 94% of the precincts reporting (according to the Ohio Secretary of State's web site), the President is up by about 152,000 votes. Ohio's broken into a 51-48-1 race.

5. Bubba_the_Genius

Bubba_the_Genius Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2002
    "Better our madman, than the UN" WOW that has to be one of the most sad comments I have ever heard, sort of like the Germans wanting Hitler another madman. I can't beleive that mentality, can you see where it can lead America.

But, "Anybody But Bush" is rational, right?

Mr44:

At least "John Kerry, Michael Moore, and Osama bin Ladin." Probably, "John Kerry: Saint or Sinner?" if it gets restarted.

Again, I don't retract anything I wrote, but it appears that the two threads were more appropriate before the election.

And, if someone objects to their closing, defer to them.

6. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    no problem..

7. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    But, "Anybody But Bush" is rational, right?

Certainly it is. Many people (including myself) feel that Bush has done so poorly in the past four years that he must be removed from office.

It's as much about him as it is about the other candidate.

Obviously, he's likely been re-elected, but the principal is still sound.

8. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    "I would certianly agree with this statement. I've never seen the media on the side of a candidate as much as they have been for Kerry in this election."

Which is why no one should believe the media, ever, as a reliable source as to what "America is thinking."

Voted Bush in Washinton State. I have the proud knowledge that I'm contributing to an overall Kerry spanking. ;)

Anynone seen the Daily Show, "Prelude to a Recount". Some of their best work I think. [face_laugh]

9. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    I don't agree there KW..

I certainly respect your opinion, but there has to be concrete reasons to why you felt Bush has done such a poor job.

The "anyone but Bush" mentality does nothing to address those concerns, because that "anyone" could actually be worse.

I think the issues themselves are larger than any one person, even if the President sets the tone. Again though, "anyone but Bush" makes an assumption about the individual, regardless of those concerns.

10. Bubba_the_Genius

Mar 19, 2002
    C'mon, Writer, that principle would justify voting for Hitler since he's not Bush.

"Sombody better than Bush"? Sound principle.

For "Anybody but Bush" to be sound, it must be the case that Bush is literally the worst possible candidate. I don't think that's true; regardless, the burden of proving that lies on the shoulders of the person who thinks the principle reasonable.

11. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    "The UNINFORMED MASSES have spoken."

Oh, we're informed, we just keep a low profile. As Ned Flanders says, I live in a place between N.Y. and L.A. called America. [face_mischief]

"*bang bang bang bang*

Ohio. I can't believe you people. First you people decide to make civil unions for gays illegal. Now this."

Yup, religious beliefs are bitch for elections aren't they? ;)

Don't worry people, there's always next... four years.

It comes down to this, do you want an American President? Or do you want a European one?

12. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    C'mon, Writer, that principle would justify voting for Hitler since he's not Bush.

It assumes that there is a sound candidate to replace Bush, and Kerry qualifies as such a person.

Don't twist it or take it to extremes, Bubba.

And there are concrete reasons, Mr44. Just far too tired to get into them, and I think they've been explained well enough in the days, weeks and months leading up to tonight.

Edit: And that does it for me tonight. I'm drained, disappointed and out for now.

13. Cyprusg

Cyprusg Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2002

C'mon Bubba, "anybody but Bush" is not completely serious, we don't actually mean ANYBODY but Bush, I can't believe that's not blatantly obvious to you. But there are a LOT of people I would rather have as president than George Bush. Heck, I'd rather have you as president...wait..no I wouldn't.

14. JediSmuggler

Jun 5, 1999
    With 94.88% of the precincts in Ohio counted, President Bush is up by 155,000 votes.

People, it's probably over now... Bush has leads in Iowa (which has suffered a breakdown in its counting machines), New Mexico, and Nevada (now at 2% and climbing).

I don't think litigation would be good for the country. I hope John F. Kerry will concede.

15. Bubba_the_Genius

Mar 19, 2002
    I've never taken "Anybody But Bush" to mean in actuality "Anybody, Assuming that that Particular Anybody is a Sound Candidate, But Bush."

"Anybody" means "anybody." The principle implies the willingness to go to extremes to vote Bush out of office.

Next thing you know, we'll be discussing the meaning of "is."

16. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    It would appear Bush has been reelected.

Now should the Kerry campaign use legal action like Gore did in 2000? Or should Kerry come out and admit he has lost?

I would prefer to see him admit defeat. I think it would be bad for the country if he drags this out. And I would respect him for bowing out.

17. BenduHopkins

BenduHopkins Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    Its 2:27 AM and I'm getting downtrodden. Looks like Bush will win, but I hang on to a thread of hope. 'twould be nice if Kerry somehow cleaned up at the last minute. Edwards is saying they'll be victorious. We'll see...

18. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jul 31, 2002
    Bubba

Oh give it a rest.

That is annoying. Does it give you a little to do crap like that? Pain in the ass is what it is.

b4k4^2

19. Cyprusg

Cyprusg Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2002
    It comes down to this, do you want an American President? Or do you want a European one?

And you call yourself informed?

I must hand it to the Bush campaign, they defined Kerry and the Kerry campaign stayed on the defense throughout. Pretty amazing considering the war in Iraq is a mess, the economy is lackluster, Bush's environmental record sucks, etc.. etc..

Like I said from the very beginning, it's all about perception.

20. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Bubba, I'd assume most people who said "anybody but Bush" meant they would vote for the only other person with a chance of becoming president, ie. the Democratic nominee. Partisan humor aside, I'm quite sure the Democrats wouldn't run Hitler.

21. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    I may end up reinstating my Australian citizenship if Bush wins.

Seriouslly, if he wins, it will truly be a sad day (and subsequent 4 years) for America.

22. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jul 31, 2002
    I'm getting sick of not being able to say "Jesus Christ," especially if I can use any other deity.

LAME!

[face_plain]

b4k4^2

23. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    I understand.

However, policy is still policy until it is offically changed.

I may end up reinstating my Australian citizenship if Bush wins.

Except that Howard won over Latham over there as well...

24. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    Heh, no kidding Janson.

You know in California they're trying to censor Christian Churches that preach that homosexual unions are unatural?

What next? Banning the ten commandments because they're not "convienent" for our "improved" society? [face_laugh]

If they were doing that to the Muslims and the Korahn, or the Jews and the Torah you'd hear a **** stink a thousand decibles loud on CNN. ;)

25. JediSmuggler

Jun 5, 1999
    Bush's lead is now 162,000 votes in Ohio.

95.19% of precincts have been counted. The rest of these are heavily Republican.

Has the Democratic Party run out of statesmen?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.