Official 2004 US Elections Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Obi-Wan McCartney, Jul 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Should Kerry win the electorate yet lose the popular vote, it'd be rather humorous for Bush to finally get elected only after losing the office... ;)
  2. farraday Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Perhaps, however I can't imagine how they could even require a re count in Ohio and nothing else would even delay the inevitable.
  3. Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Mr44

I understand.

However, policy is still policy until it is offically changed.

It's still a ******* stupid rule, whether it's official policy or not.

Not everyone reveres Jesus as much as the ones in charge, and I really wish they'd get that fact through their skulls.

Smuggler

Has the Democratic Party run out of statesmen?

Would you mind clearing that up, because if it means what I think it means, we might have to have words.

EDIT:
    masterskywalker

I think you misunderstood me. You see, I took the lords name in vain, using "Jesus Christ" as an exclamation of frustration, a way to point out that I was very pissed at what was said before, but that's a no-no on this site, because taking the lord's name in vain is a sin, and we wouldn't want that on a site that have threads that discuss bodily functions and which presidential candidate's daughters are hotter, now would we? [face_plain]

b4k4^2
  4. MoonTheLoon Jedi Master

star 4
    Hawaii was called for Kerry on FOX News.

Bush leads in NM, NV, IA, and barely trailing in WI.

They're saying NM, NV, & IA will probably hold, and that he may pull an upset in WI with what little votes are left.

Bush's lead is increasing in Ohio as the votes are being counted. It's not close enough for Ohio law to issue a recount. Kerry has little to stand on here.

5. Darth Mischievous Force Ghost

star 6
    I hope for the good of this nation that Kerry doesn't drag this thing out and that he does the honorable thing.
  6. Gonk Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Bush has essentially won this election. It's been on the close side, but he's won it.

Those voting for him may live to regret it.

In the end, America will obviously not end with George Bush and his presidency will not end the reign of the American superpower. But while Bush may not go down in history as Louis XVI, if current trends continue or are exaserbated more than they already are, comparisons to Louis XV may be apt.

"Apres moi, le deluge"

How ironic it would be to see Bush's place in history to be put alongside a King of France. Yet somehow, I feel, fitting.
  7. Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I hope for the good of this nation that Kerry doesn't drag this thing out.

I'd see it as being bad for the nation to ignore it.

If there are valid concerns, they should be addressed, not ignored.

b4k4^2
  8. farraday Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    that's where you lost me JFT, to ignore what? The sttistically absurd chance every single absentee ballot of all sorts was cast for John Kerry?
  9. Blue_Jedi33 Force Ghost

star 5
    Yes, lets have our guy in the white straight jacket run the country because he's OUR man. ;)

"Better a stupid neo-con. that you know where he stands on all the issues, than a intellectual liberal that flip-flops"

I think this is what the many americans ended up thinking in the end, flame away people, I call it like I see it, it's very late now [face_tired]
  10. MoonTheLoon Jedi Master

star 4
    Fred Barnes on FOX News said Kerry's challenge in Florida is nowhere near a margin worth challenging, it's tremendously higher than the difference in Florida in '00.

I'd love to see the look on Susan Ostrich's face now. :D
  11. Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    that's where you lost me JFT, to ignore what? The sttistically absurd chance every single absentee ballot of all sorts was cast for John Kerry?

You never know. Honestly, I think it's a long shot, but in a race this close, Kerry has to use every chance he's got. And not just in Ohio, but in other places too.

I'm not a lawyer, I don't know what can be contested or not. But there are people who do know, so I say let them look into it. If there are voting irregularities, they need to be found and exposed.

b4k4^2
  12. Darth Rayder Force Ghost

star 4
    Kerry campaign has just announced that they will make no more announcements tonight...that means no concession from the Dems tonight (err, this morning...) They're now advising that they will make their first statements at 10AM Eastern on Wednesday.

Still, the numbers are trending towards Bush, and I don't think the provisional ballots (which are, at this point, all Kerry is waiting on), will save the Dems this time around.

Except for the long hours tonight, its a great time to be a NeoCon :)
  13. farraday Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    With all due respect, the race isn't close.

Electorally Bush is going to have just under 290. The only state which could change things for Kerry is Ohio, where he's losing by two percent.

Even in the 2000 induced bitter dreamworld where it was a direct popular election Bush is winning comfortably.

The only thing left is a concession speech, which the Kerry campaign is going to drag out as long as possible.

Classy.
  14. Darth Rayder Force Ghost

star 4
    Latest quote from the White House: "Victory in this election is not contingent upon a concession speech from one of the candidates." Rumor now is that, once 100% of precincts are in in Ohio, if they still have a good margin, Bush **will** make a victory speech tonight...
  15. Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I say they should drag it out. They should not concede until the electoral college officially casts their votes. Lotsa surprises can happen.

b4k4^2
  16. Lord_Darth_Vader Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    well when you look back at the fact the Bush was given the election of 2000 by the Supreme Court, which is scary, I would hope Kerry would pull out all the stops and fight it. This has been one of the dirtiest races in history, by both parties, it would be anti-climactic for Kerry to just lay down and die like Gore did right now. Fight the good fight.
  17. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    This election is OVER, the people have made their choice.

George W. Bush has won, so call the states and Kerry isn't gonna make up 130, 000 votes in Ohio magically. Stop whining and just concede. It's time for bed.
  18. farraday Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Keryr lost, please acknowledge the fact and move on.

there was no stolen election, bush got the popular majority, there are no reports of massive voter fraud, there is nothing here for you to hang your bitter on.
  19. Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    George W. Bush has won, so call the states and Kerry isn't gonna make up 130, 000 votes in Ohio magically. Stop whining and just concede. It's time for bed.

and

Keryr lost, please acknowledge the fact and move on.

If I weren't afraid of getting banned, I'd tell you where to shove it.

If I weren't afraid that is. [face_plain]

It is not over until the electoral college votes, and that's not for a little while.

b4k4^2
  20. rpeugh Force Ghost

star 4
    When Bush wins another state I think Kerry is going to have to concede Ohio and therefore the Presidency. This is not Florida 2000. Bush has a 140000 lead in Ohio with like 2% or less of the precincts left. And he has a popular vote lead of almost 4 million. I never blamed Al Gore for asking for recounts in Florida because he won the popular vote by 500000 and lost Florida only by like 1500 votes if I am not mistaken. But if Kerrry does not concede I think it will only make things worse for the Democrats. They arent going to be able to get away with all those BS accusations about voter fraud this time. And liberals arent going to be able to spout all that BS about George W. Bush not being elected. If they try it this time they are going to make themselves look like idiots.
  21. Lord_Darth_Vader Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    not yet farraday. Even if it were so, I would love to see Kerry drag this out for months just to piss Bush and Cheney off
  22. MoonTheLoon Jedi Master

star 4
    The Supreme Court didn't give him the election. They simply ruled that the law for counting votes could not be made up as they go along, until they got the results they (DNC) wanted.

Fight the good fight

Funny, Kerry's victory speech (crafted after exit polls showed him winning the election) heavily stressed the need for a UNITED nation.

Talk about flip-flop.
  23. Gonk Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    The election is over, more or less, but I think what is important is not that it's over and that Bush has won, but that he's going to be making an announcement over at the Reagan center declaring victory whether the Democrats concede tonight or not. I don't think that's been done before.

If you thought the first four years were controvercial, just wait. Roe vs Wade may be next to fall, to say nothing of foreign policy. We may wake up to find a Bush presidency even more right-wing than had ever been envisioned and as a result...

Well. Sour grapes on my part, perhaps. In any case, those south of the border, take care. It is done. So be it.
  24. farraday Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    LD Vader Kerry can't drag this out for months. As bush rightly pointed out victory or loss is not predicated by a concession speech.

The blatantly obvious fact is Bush won. If Kerry wanted to turn himself into a joke, a political chariture, he could refuse to acknowledge that for the next month and a half while the ranking members of his party abandoned him to keep from being connected to the image suicide but it would probably still have negative backlashes on the Democratic party.

Bush won.

And Gonk I believe I owe you five dollars.
  25. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    If I weren't afraid of getting banned, I'd tell you where to shove it.

Good grief, accept reality! 130,000 people aren't going to materialize and say, "Oops, I didn't get to vote." nor are all of the incoming absentee voters unanimously select Kerry.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.