Official 2004 US Elections Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Obi-Wan McCartney, Jul 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Rayder Force Ghost

star 4
    WITH 100% OF PRECINCTS REPORTING IN OHIO:
    George W. Bush 2,777,645 - 51 percent
    John Kerry 2,632,547 - 48 percent

VICTORY FOR BUSH: 145098 VOTES.
    If there are less than this number of provisional ballots, it becomes mathematically impossible for Kerry to win. High end estimates of provisional ballots was 175000, average estimate was about 120000.

Game, set, match Bush. Almost. :)
  2. Darth Mischievous Force Ghost

star 6
    Well said, DM.

Thanks, Mr44. :)

But you're out $40.00 now, correct? (or did you hedge your bets and break even, I forget... :))

Yep, it looks like I'm out $40 bucks.

It's money well spent, though. ;)
  3. MoonTheLoon Jedi Master

star 4
    Both Ohio Senators are calling for Kerry to concede.
  4. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    I have a feeling his concession will be no later than tonight.
  5. Cyprusg Jedi Master

star 4
    We should just split this nation in two, the north would be Democrats while the south would be Republicans (although we'd keep California). Although you guys would probably invade us. But other than that it'd be sweet.
  6. Lord_Darth_Vader Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I truly hope Bush can heal this great country. But optimism aside, honestly, I cannot see such a great gesture. For Bush is far too right for any outreach of sorts to the left. As you say, the GOP has command of the Govt, and out of fear itself, I feel there is an undercurrent of a shifting core of the GOP regarding the arena of politics and religion. Like a storm building off a quiet shore, not only will the right become a hard right, it will become an aggress holy right. The egagement of bi-partisan govt will be eclipsed by a religious hunger we have not seen in the days of this country, bordering on the extreme.
  7. somethingfamiliar Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Personally, as a student of ancient Greece, I hope we go for independent city-states.
  8. Lord Bane Manager Emeritus

star 5
    But what about the MidWest and the Mountains, all Republican? We have the majority of the country. You get New England and the west coast, we'll take everything else.

The upper MidWest will learn to live with the Right. ;)

I hear an announcement on Ohio is coming...Judy Woodruff said so.
  9. Cyprusg Jedi Master

star 4
    The egagement of bi-partisan govt will be eclipsed by a religious hunger we have not seen in the days of this country, bordering on the extreme.

Well that's why we have term limits. He can only do so much damage in the next 4 years.
  10. liberalmaverick Jedi Knight

star 3
    Things do look glum for us Democrats in the Senate.

We Democrats have been blown out in the South. I was hoping that we would at least keep Florida, if nothing else, but now it looks like that will not happen. I'm also scratching my head at how, in North Carolina, Erskine Bowles could have gone from a 10-point lead to a 5-point loss.

The other Southern states were no real surprise, though I had some hopes for a Tenenbaum rebound in South Carolina. As for Louisiana, I wonder if Dems would have fared better had we coalesced behind a single candidate like the Republicans did (Louisiana Republicans were smart, I have to give them that).

Unfortunately, disappointments abound elsewhere as well. I was hoping for Democratic victories in Pennsylvania and Missouri, but that was not to be. Granted, their defeats were clear from polls for months now, but it still hurts. The silver lining is that the Democrats there will now be able to run against other Senate candidates in 2006.

I was also disappointed by Alaska; it looks like Republicans will hold onto that one. I had thought that Democrats had a real shot at taking it. I was also hoping that Ken Salazar would have a better margin of victory in Colorado, though the fact that he won is good enough for me at this point. Oklahoma was sad too; while I distrusted Rep. Carson, I am absolutely appalled that a right-wing lunatic like Rep. Tom Coburn will now pollute the pristine air of the U.S. Senate. And needless to say, I am sorry to see Sen. Daschle go.

On the bright side, we now have an amazing new addition: Barack Obama of Illinois. I foresee an illustrious future for this new Senator-elect.

Democrats failed to regain the House as well, though that is no surprise. Here's hoping that we get our act together for 2006.
  11. Cyprusg Jedi Master

star 4
    But what about the MidWest and the Mountains, all Republican? We have the majority of the country. You get New England and the west coast, we'll take everything else.

DEAL!
  12. MoonTheLoon Jedi Master

star 4
    Anybody ever thought that maybe it's the left that is too far from center? That it might have contributed in some way to the lack of unity over the last 4 years? That maybe the current actions of the candidate from the left are backing this up?
  13. liberalmaverick Jedi Knight

star 3
    Btw, it appears that Senator Kerry has won New Jersey by 7 points and Hawaii by 8 points.

So much for "dead heat".

Though, these margins are smaller than that of 2000, and Democrats ought to work on these states over the next couple of years to keep them from ever slipping back towards the Republicans.
  14. Cyprusg Jedi Master

star 4
    Anybody ever thought that maybe it's the left that is too far from center? That it might have contributed in some way to the lack of unity over the last 4 years? That maybe the current actions of the candidate from the left are backing this up?

Nope.
  15. lexu Force Ghost

star 6
    I understand many people based their choice on issues like gay marriage, but aside from saying he agrees with one side or the other, what can the president actually do about these moral issues? I was under the impression that these things were for the states to decide, not the federal government.
  16. MoonTheLoon Jedi Master

star 4
    Does that mean it's the minority left that is really the divider, since as a minority they are still clamoring to have things their way?
  17. Cyprusg Jedi Master

star 4
    Does that mean it's the minority left that is really the divider, since as a minority they are still clamoring to have things their way?

And Republicans don't? The only reason you don't hear many conservative Republicans complaining is because they have what they want.

The issue is far more complex than just blaming one group of people. Anytime you have a president on the far left or right end of the spectrum you're going to have a lot of people that aren't happy with that. Add that to things like a lackluster economy, the war in Iraq, Gitmo, the lying, the Patriot act, etc.. then you've got a lot of really pissed people.

You don't have to be a moderate to be a uniter, but it helps.
  18. Lord_Darth_Vader Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    "Anybody ever thought that maybe it's the left that is too far from center? That it might have contributed in some way to the lack of unity over the last 4 years? That maybe the current actions of the candidate from the left are backing this up?"

No, you are mistaken. Not in recent history has a Left Presidential candidate ever had the arrogance and audacity to blatanly tell the country that God had meant for him to be President. Bush had made such a statement. As I recall, the left gave President Bush his war in Iraq. Even though the intel was for **** the left majority came to the center and granted Bush his wish of attacking Iraq.

Next we might hear such things as President Bush reciting that God came to him in a dream and told him to arrest all unmarried mothers for being unwed in the eyes of God. I know that is an extreme scenario, but I am only voicing a point regarding statements of fanatacism
  19. Darth Mischievous Force Ghost

star 6
    [Obi-Wan]Relax, L_D_V, take a deep breath[/Obi-Wan]

:)
  20. Lord_Darth_Vader Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    [face_laugh] ehhh shuddddap Old man! ;)

I'm Irish, with an Irish temper - sudden flash and then happy as a Leprechaun. ;) This mood will pass. It's just several weeks or anxiety followed by frustration.

21. Gonk Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    mr44 said:

Is it a temporary backlash, or an illustration of a larger shift?

I think it would be very clear it is a larger shift. It's been in the works a while now. Or perhaps it was there all the time, and the only thing that happened was the southern Democrats, which always had the same values all along, took some time to get fully pulled over into the Republican camp in 1980 from when they started leaving the Democrat camp in 1940-1960.

Again, DM would say this is just me and my (and others) "doom and gloom", but its clear that religion has entered the political process in a way that has not been seen in politics -- at least American politics -- in a very, very long time. In fact, ever. After all, once upon a time, while God once factored heavily in people's lives, he was on the side of BOTH the candidates. Today he is apparently only on one. While one side continues to go to church, the other side does not.

Where does that leave you? It's a serious division if one side is going to be picking the people in power. You could see a growing number of American ex-patriots. If the trend continues and we see Republican after Republican enter the White House, what would the populations in the Democratic states do? Reach out? It's difficult to reach out to something you stand diametrically opposed to. They could demand more states rights perhaps. Attempt to decrease the power of the federal government.

If that happens, the federal government might be obliged to give in, or very far in the future of course, face more radical consequences.

Heh, wouldn't it be odd if a second civil war was fought over the north trying to secede from the union? "On second thought guys, you were right the first time about you and us. It's just not working out after all."
  22. DeathStar1977 Jedi Master

star 4
    Congratulations to my President for the next four years, George W. Bush. :)

10 thoughts so far...

1) Kinda surprised that there weren't many surprises. Everything kinda went as they did in 2000. I know, there was some shift in votes, but not much. Even the percentages within some of the states was similar. And aside from a very few states, none really shifted. Possibly Iowa, New Mexico and New Hampshire...thats it eh? So do us Democrats have to look forward to narrow losses every four years. :( [face_mischief]

2) What was most annoying was that they really screwed up the exit polls...which gave me early false hope, before I realized they were just exit polls. [face_mischief]

3) I think I just heard on the news that the Kerry/Edwards campaign won't drag it out past this evening...which is good.

4) I'm glad Salazar won and thus Coors did not. I'm also happy that Daschle lost. IMO hes been a very ineffective leader for the Democrats in the Senate.

5) From what I gather, turnout was high but not as many new voters as expected.

6) I can't say I'm not disappointed. I truly believe that John Kerry would've been a good President. I am very willing to give Bush a chance and hope that he does well over the next four years.

7) It will be interesting to see what happens with the Democratic Party over the results, including Congress. I don't think there will be as much upheaval as some predict. There will be some pondering to do over how to make some inroads in the South.

8) Have you people been up all night? Some of us had to get at least some sleep before we head off to work (6 am).

9) The fact that it won't be a landslide shows our country is still divided...yes, I know, obviously leaning just enough Republican.

10) I am so glad this is over! Now I can just look forward to the new Episode 3 trailer.

And while I anticipate intense discussions with you folks over the next few years, no hard feelings. I've enjoyed every minute of it. :)

And please visit my 'Official 2008 election thread'!

Oh, and no official word on who won the 'War on Baldness'.
  23. Shroom Jedi Knight

star 2
    I sat up far too late watching the results come in.

I think a large percentage of the rest of the world now has its head in its hands wondering how that man could possibly be elected again. I just hope he manages to do something in the next four years which will halt the seemingless relentless loss of worldwide respect that the US is currently experiencing.
  24. DeathStar1977 Jedi Master

star 4
    One last note before I actually leave for work...What was reported early, but not really talked about as much later, was the gay marriage ban. Based on what I have heard on the news, IMO this greatly affected turnout in many states.
  25. Qui-Rune Jedi Master

star 4
    My personal opinion?

Bush won by a landslide.
    With all the rhetoric, opposition, hatred, animosity and accusations that were spewed (and is still being spewed) from the left over the past 4 years....this was a landslide victory IMO.

Now we hear the voice of treason....wanting civil war and divisivness into seperate Nations. Now we see which side REALLY caused the "great divide" and is continuing to drive us even further apart.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.