main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OFFICIAL 2005 AtomFilms contest thread

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by AdamBertocci, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002

AtomFilms and Lucasfilm are giving you this special notice that the Star Wars Fan Film Awards will return in 2005! With the arrival of Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith -- it's bound to be our biggest and best year yet!
    George Lucas himself will be back to select the top award-winner, and we've got some great prizes in store. Start thinking about your entry -- the submission deadline is early next year -- March 8, 2005.

The 2005 winners will all be announced at Celebration III in April, the biggest Star Wars event on this or any other planet! Check http://starwars.atomfilms.com for all the details May the force be with you and your fan film!

Y'all can use this thread to gab about your reactions to this, tossing ideas around, etc. etc. etc -- at least until actual films get underway and people have enough going on to make their very own thread.

For now this shall do for a "hay guys did u no atom films is doing a contest whos thniking of entaring" sort of topic.

Rick McCallum loves you!

2. The_Battle_For_Endor

The_Battle_For_Endor Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Winner = Return of Pink Five ;)

3. FigChrystie

FigChrystie Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 12, 2004
    Hey, don't jump the gun. We know it'll be the best, but it was the best this last time and didn't win then. ;)

*Rattles off names of people I just pissed off* Sorry guys. ;)

4. doggans

doggans Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 31, 2002
    There's no way I'm not entering this year.

I know I said that last year, but technically I did enter, it's just I only had time to do a lousy job.

5. Jeremy_West

Jeremy_West Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 16, 2003
    My reaction to this was... "Now is a good time to retire"

I'm officially done with fan films. I had considered attempting to do another one for the contest and I have a few ideas that I think would do fairly well, but I'm done. I have no real desire to do anything more with fan films. I think I really burned my self out the last 3 years. I still come here now and again to see who's running their mouth the most, but I think I'm going to start slipping into oblivion. Goodbye cruel world!

Good luck to you guys in the next contest. Make sure this forum is well represented.

6. MKane

MKane Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Ya - I got the email from ATOMFILMS also.

You know I have to do this one more time. You'd think they would give me a trophy out of Pity?

7. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    Wow, I'm really excited now, but the due date is too soon, I don't have enough time to get my movie to the length I want. I had already started my movie for it but I was expecting to have may to work on it also, that's 1 month of lost time so I guess I'll have to cut down the length. I don't think that there will be as many people entering because of the date. In the last one some people started working on theirs like 4 months after it was announced, and there's only 5 months plus the rest of this month to make a movie. That's a really short amount of time.

BTW, it's the 4th AtomFilms contest.

8. Doc_Holladay

Doc_Holladay Jedi Youngling

Feb 9, 2004
    You're going to have some serious competition for that 'pity trophy' Kane... Maybe we should submit for a 'Susan Lucci of Star Wars Fan Films' award.

At any rate, I think this is the grand daddy Fan Film competition of them all.

Alabama Rob [entered thrice, lost 3x]
    www.AlabamaRob.com

9. trevor_lamb

trevor_lamb Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2002
    Hope so.

Of all the finalists this year, who's going to enter this time? And what about those that didn't get their entries finished in time. Will you be entering them for this one?

We've got a couple of ideas in mind. But we'll see what gets done in time. This year was just a test. Next year, it'll be for real, you'll see. [face_laugh]

10. GrandMoffTarkin

GrandMoffTarkin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 22, 2001
    I'll probably enter my project. Heh. I was mortified to see Imperial News from this years as it was very similar in concept to the one I've been messing about with for well over a year! [cutting bitterness]The only real difference is that I'm actually planning on making mine funny. :p

[/cutting bitterness]

11. Doc_Holladay

Feb 9, 2004
    I'm entering [again]. Started storyboarding today.

Celebration III or bust!

AL Rob

12. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    Im off to talk to some people about a fan film contest.

13. Andross

Andross Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2004
    So, are non-parody films frowned upon then? It says spoof and documentaries. Mocumentaries only?

14. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    From all accounts it seems that they are looking for parodies and documentaries, almost exclusively. And it has to be funny. This is because that's the only way they can get it by Lucas' legal guys. Parody is much easier to let slide.

Not only that, but they seem to like things that crossover rather than JUST spoof Star Wars.

If you look at the entries from last year, there were only a couple that didn't crossover.

Let's see... There was:
    Planet of the Apes
    American Idol :)
    Punked
    Fan Letters (commercial spoof)
    Indiana Jones
    Bill and Ted (although the name implied another movie)
    Guiness beer ad

The one's that weren't crossovers were "real world mixed with Star Wars" kinda stuff... Like, an Ewok in the elevator, or pinball games, Star Wars done by Chickens, etc...

I hope this all helps some of you guys flesh out some ideas. Knowing what they expect ahead of time is 90% of making a film that will likely make it through. So, if you're planning on making a film for no other reason than this competition, go by what they've approved in the past.

15. Ellbobin

Jan 30, 2004
    Got my idea! All I need is some costumes!

16. G-Unit

G-Unit Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2004
    Already? Here we go again.

17. Ellbobin

Jan 30, 2004
    HAY!

I just looked at my DVD collection and thought of a spoof!

18. Doc_Holladay

Feb 9, 2004
    Ya. It's never too soon to start production. I think this will be the last fan film competition... of any consequence.

AL Rob

19. twowiththeforce

twowiththeforce Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 14, 2003
  20. Seraphim0325

Seraphim0325 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2004
    Did I read that right? No music from the Star Wars movies could be used? I could have swore some of the past fanfilms have used music from the movies. Let me know if I'm wrong about this.

21. ChrisHanel

ChrisHanel Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 2002
    Fanfilms on TFN have used the Star Wars score, but it's not allowed in Atomfilms entries.

-Chris

22. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    Nope. It ain't allowed. I had to change mine.

As near as I can tell, they won't allow any music unless you can provide signed releases by the writers, and/or performers of the music, plus, if software like FruityLoops or Acid is used, they require the license agreement for the individual sound bites.

In other news: Chris Hanel just posted!! :eek:

23. Semi-DarkLord90

Semi-DarkLord90 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2004
    Dude, those gangsta rap guys should make another. That would be awesome. I love that. "We got Death Star!"

I don't know, I really am terrible with making films in short perios of time. I'd definately like to help someone with their entry, though.

24. Ellbobin

Jan 30, 2004
    Maybe on the prequels!

25. tekmaster

tekmaster Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2003
    Ok, totally gonna enter this year.

I was beating myself up for not entering last year especially when I found out that it might not happen in 2005, but now that I know it is, I can sleep.

I'll be signing autographs after this post, cus you'll all want one after I win. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.