main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Official* 3NS ROTS Reviews (Ebert's review, spoiler-free inside!)

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Garth Maul, Apr 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marajadebean

marajadebean Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2005
    That sounded like a lot of meandering there. I couldn't read it either, Garth. I was reading and my train of thought was going.....zzz....what was he talking about again? lol Bueller, Bueller?

There are always the few bad apples in the bunch. Don't mind the needed memory wipe. *wipe* He lost me after his question, What kind of word is that? Sith. :rolleyes:

2. Darth-Wyrm

Darth-Wyrm Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2005
    "Note: I said this is not necessarily the last of the "Star Wars" movies. Although Lucas has absolutely said he is finished with the series, it is inconceivable to me that 20th Century-Fox will willingly abandon the franchise, especially as Lucas has hinted that parts VII, VIII and IX exist at least in his mind. There will be enormous pressure for them to be made, if not by him, then by his deputies."

That's a very interesting comment by Roger Ebert. If anything, it reflects how much he really enjoyed ROTS. If he thought it was just ok, I doubt he would feel so strongly that Fox wouldn't let the franchise die. How many times in the past have you heard people say "Lucas should have never even made the prequels." Clearly, Ebert sees ROTS as a redemption of the Star Wars franchise, returning it to a place where the movie studio will do anything possible to keep it alive.

I wonder what it would take to get GL to do another one. I can't imagine a whole trilogy, but what about just ONE post-ROTJ movie? Think Lucas would go for that if Fox promised him the world?

3. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    RT is at 63 reviews, and back up to 83%. I feel certain that ROTS will check in on Thursday at around 75-80%, and that will be a great achievement indeed :).

4. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    One of the local papers gave it a mediocre review today. *rolleyes* Good to see the tomatometer is still doing well, though. ;)

5. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I'll be happy if the RT score ends up at least 80%.
    That would be much better than a lot of us could've hoped for.

6. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Well in two days, we can all come here and give reviews.
    Is it sad that I'm more interested in, say, Garth, Windy, DLM, stinrab's, reviews than I am of Time, Variety, and Ebert? :p
    I'm thrilled they loved it, but I'm not exactly close to them! ;)
    And I just threw out popular names :p I'm interested in every review here! :D

7. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    Indeed, I'm looking forward to my review too. ;)

That and it'll be very interesting to see how much the 3NSers enjoy the movie compared to those in 3SA.

8. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Is it sad that I'm more interested in, say, Garth, Windy, DLM, stinrab's, reviews than I am of Time, Variety, and Ebert?

Not in the slightest. I'll be dying to know what others here think.

9. Kittles93

Kittles93 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2005
    i actually predict it will finish above 85 percent now.

most of the cream of the crop are in and the percentage is great at 78%. if it can hover near 75%, that will be extremely impressive.

take another sci-fi film like the Matrix----which only scored 69% with the cream of the crop but 87% overall.

also an FYI:

both the Detroit Free Press and the Detroit News give it a positive review; so that's two more on the plus side for the cream of the crop.

i know that the philly inquirer's negative review has not been added, nor has time's very positive review

10. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Heh, the little blurb about ROTS on RT's main page: "You may have heard about this movie."

11. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Yeah. RT's got a little special section on the SW Saga linked on the front page, giving an overview of all the films for newcomers.

I didn't look, just in case there were ROTS spoilers. Getting paranoid :p

12. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    You should be extremely paranoid at this point, it's the only way to save your friends...I mean, stay unspoiled.

SW quotes have been filling my brain to an extreme level in the past few days.:-B

13. Jedi_Jen

Jedi_Jen Jedi Master star 1

Nov 7, 2003
    ^^^The Force is strong with this one.
    Yep, I'm being very careful now. We've waited this long!
    These reviews are getting me so excited, I'm afraid I'm going to have unrealistic expectations.

14. LandosFolly

LandosFolly Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2002
    Don't hate me if it's been discussed already (28 pages is alot to read through at work), but any news on how well received ROTS was at Cannes?

15. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    From what I read, it was very positive. Supposedly journalists applauded when Vader made his appearance.
    I watched the video on that website tfn had linked and it was awesome.
    Giant red carpet, screaming fans pushed up against the barriers to shake hands with Lucas and the actors, a panel interview with Lucas and the gang, stormtroopers etc. all over the place and the BBC guy was even narrating it like a coronation or something, "Mr. Lucas is now talking to Samuel Jackson, they are walking up the steps."

Talk about the full treatment. To see the Mecca of film snobbery give SW that kind of treatment, and to hear ROTS was well received there, is just awesome.

16. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Reviews counted: 71
    Fresh: 59 Rotten: 12
    Average Rating: 7.5/10

RATING: FRESH READING: 83%

17. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Excellent, still tracking well.

By the time it gets to 80 reviews total, we need at least 64 positive reviews to make sure it keeps at 80%. Looking good so far. Any big names added, such as the Time review?

18. Kittles93

Kittles93 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2005
    time has not been added yet

only really big name left is Washington Post

others missing from "cream of the crop" are the Texas papers.

once the dust settles, it will be at 83-87 percent i believe. a larger percentage of the non-cream of the crop reviews will be positive, and those are most of what remains.

19. DarthTickle

DarthTickle Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2002
    The Post does have a huge section on their webpage about Star Wars, including their old reviews of the other five movies, but not the reviews for Sith yet. I'm guessing sometime tonight, their "Star Wars blogger" said it'd be very soon.

20. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    Here's an interesting blurb from RT:

"Will be remembered as one of the greatest movies ever made. 'Classic' isn't kind enough a word for this gem. The best film to be unleashed onto the public in 25 years!"

21. Wally44

Wally44 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 10, 2005
    Who said that??? :D :D :D

22. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    On Megacritic, Revenge of the Sith currently has a rating of 68 (not a percentage). While this might not sound like much, it is one point higher than last year's Best Picture Academy Award Nominee Finding Neverland.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

23. Wally44

Wally44 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 10, 2005
    I was just thinking... I was blown away by AOTC (at least during the last 45 min, I was). With all of the positive reviews on this film, I can't imagine what I am going to be feeling after seeing ROTS. :D

24. JediRac

JediRac Jedi Master star 2

Apr 10, 2001
    It's going to be just like the Trident gum commercial soon. On top of the movie ad it will say:

"4 out of 5 critics recommend Revenge of the Sith" :p

25. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I've been doing some checking around on 'user' reviews and scores. For example, on IMDB it is currently showing at an 8.0 score. But when I ran the actual weighted average, it comes out to an 8.8, I don't know how they are calculating it. Also, there seem to be some trolls voting away at a 1 score. Quite clearly this movie isn't a 1, that's just dumb, but 7% of voters have given it a 1.

Anyway...bottom line...if you throw out those idiots who voted at a 1 on IMDB...the movie is currently running at a 9.4 rating. There is no other movie out there which has ever had a rating higher than 9.0, though of course the scores are adjusted somehow, I am not sure. Godfather and Shawshank are the two highest rated at 9.0.

Bottom line - people are giving this movie killer scores. Sure it hasn't hit the general public yet, and a lot of this is inflated, but it's definitely a good start.

Other IMDB scores:

TPM: 6.4
    AOTC: 7.0
    ROTS: 8.0
    ANH: 8.7
    TESB: 8.7
    ROTJ: 8.0

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.