main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Official* 3NS ROTS Reviews (Ebert's review, spoiler-free inside!)

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Garth Maul, Apr 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. happydudethe3rd

happydudethe3rd Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 27, 2005
    Anybody know if that screening for Lucas' friends has happened yet? I thought I heard it was this past weekend and figured some more reviews would start popping up.

2. tanjokabri

tanjokabri Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    Well here's an interesting article...

Apparently Steven Spielberg phoned up a British radio station! Sounds like a hoax? Not according to this...

http://www.timeout.com/film/news/393.html

And here's the good part if you're feeling lazy:

The director also revealed that he had seen 'Star Wars: Episode III ? Revenge of the Sith' a week and a half ago, and that it was 'absolutely amazing, the best of the last three films'.

He said that George Lucas's film, which hits UK cinemas on May 19, was very dark, and warned listeners: 'You'll cry at the end.'

Oh, I so hope it's true!

3. zap2012

zap2012 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 27, 2002
    didn't speilberg also say that AotC was the best star wars movie?

don't get me wrong, i thought AotC was aweseome, but not the best...

andy

4. Queenie Amidala

Queenie Amidala Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 7, 2000
    Oh, I so hope it's true!

Oh, it's true. :_|

5. jariten

jariten Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2000
    That is absolutely 100% true.

what he actually said was that he himself cried at the end.

It was on XFM.

and he rated Clones as second best after empire.

6. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    The positive early reviews are certainly encouraging, but I'm also a realist. I can remember the other two prequels being positively received only to have the press savagely turn on Lucas once the films were actually released. Maybe they've finally gotten the "Bash Lucas!" syndrome out of their blood, but don't be surprised when you start seeing "Lucas saved the worst for last" editorials.

7. Kittles93

Kittles93 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2005
    actually, the early reviews on TPM were very, very critical.

the early reviews on AOTC were mixed.

8. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Well, we really only have one review (Time magazine) at this point. Spielberg is far too close to Lucas for his opinion to really mean anything. He never has a bad word to say about him or his films. Plus, it sounds like he had a bit of a hand in storyboards or something, so he's definitely biased.

Someone has posted a review on IMDB who claims to have seen a charity screening. The person seems to have not liked TPM and AOTC, but says this one is better than those as well as better than ROTJ. I didn't read most of the review for fear of spoilers, but he gave it 8 out of 10.

9. Harlowe Thrombey

Harlowe Thrombey Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 1999
    I thought that the early reviews of AOTC were very positive, then later they started being more mixed.

We have to remember that under no circumstances would Spielberg ever publicly say anything negative about anything Lucas does...but at the same time I doubt he would rave about an absolutely horrible movie.

10. Kittles93

Kittles93 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2005
    for what it is worth, i read there will be screenings for the media this Thursday....so some reviews could leak by early next week

11. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    My memory is hazy, but I seem to remember the pre-release buzz for AOTC as 'better than TPM but still not great.'

12. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    `Didn't Spielberg also say that AotC was the best star wars movie?'

No, but he said it was Lucas best film. Something close to it anyway. :)

13. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    IIRC, Spielberg ranked AOTC #2 behind ESB.

storm supposedly most people in 3SA think the IMDB review is fake, and I tend to agree with them.

The guy said he saw a screening in Indianapolis - other than the CIII stuff, no one had heard anything about a screening. Even Hayden Christensen only saw it a couple of days ago. ;)

14. ZombieMonkey

ZombieMonkey Jedi Youngling

Sep 27, 2000
    There's a slew of new reviews at Aint it Cool News, any chance of getting de-spoilerized versions of those posted?

15. JediRac

JediRac Jedi Master star 2

Apr 10, 2001
    Looks like the ROTS bashers are trying to get an early start. :p

Don't trust those AICN reviews, most are fake until the official screenings start on May 6. Sometimes a copy will leak out from ILM or Lucasfilm but I doubt it can be trusted. GL has a way of making changes at the last minute. ESB anyone? :)

16. youngvader

youngvader Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 21, 1999
    I don't read critics because when they usually hate a movie, I like it. And when they think something is marvelous, I think it's a piece of trash. So I hope they do bash ROTS, because then the movie will turn out to be excellent. Critics don't know anything. It's just their own taste and they are usually too snobbish to appreciate a movie that is actually good.

17. ZombieMonkey

Sep 27, 2000
    I get the impression that AICN has reason to believe these reviews are real. They usually make note of the fact that a review seems suspect due to the fact that there have been no screenings. I am assuming that they have knowledge of these screenings actually having had taken place.
    As far as the critics go I could care less, but I still enjoy reading reviews assuming they're not spoiler filled.

18. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    A couple of them, at least, are either real or better faked than usual.

I'm not even going to bother transcribing them here.

All 3 new reviews are written by basically the same person:

"Hey AICN, how's it going? Before reviewing this film, I'd better say that I loved the OT but I HATED TPM and AOTC, boy did they suck. Now I'm cool, right? You'll believe me because I actually said the first two PT films sucked!"

Then the reviews go on to say this:

"Yeah, this one is way better, not as good as the OT, but better than TPM and AOTC combined. The acting still sucks, except for Ian McDiarmid and Ewan McGregor, and sometimes the movie looks like a video game, but the action is really good and it ties in nicely with the OT."

There's actually quite a lot of bashing that seems to me to be bashing to look cool, but then I haven't seen the film.

One good line was this one: "One of the coolest things about ROTS is by the end of it, the first thing I wanted to do was pop in my ANH DVD to watch the OT".:D

Seriously, there's almost no point to reading the AICN reviews, it's a basher community and you can't even tell if they've seen the movie half the time.

19. ZombieMonkey

Sep 27, 2000
    Thanks for taking a look anyway Garth, sorry it was such a bunch of rubbish. Usually I take these reports and reviews with a grain of salt but I'm just so eager to hear positive things about the film that I tend to overlook the fact that with the script and novelaztion out that any shmo can write a review. I do realize that the majority of the reports on AICN seem to be from bitter pompus individuals who think that they could've done a better job on every aspect of every film.
    Sorry if I wasted your time Garth, but I do appreciate the fact that you read these so weak willed people like myself don't have to give in to temptation. (You'd think I could make it the lousy 8 more days until the charity showing with out caving, but it's getting harder for some reason)

20. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    I just don't want 3NS to be upset by all the bashing that's going on.

In 3SA, some guy posted an INCREDIBLY BAD review of ROTS, he took every conceivable opportunity to bash absolutely everything in the film. I really don't see how he could think it was that bad, but I guess it's easier to criticize something than it is to praise it.

Let's at least let the professional critics bash it; the SW "fans" out there who bash everything left and right...I just feel sad for them.:(

21. obi1jedinite

obi1jedinite Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2002
    do you think this was a real review, or just some dork who read the novel and is trying to piss people off?

22. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Hard to say. He obviously knows enough of the film to make it seem believable.

I really just don't care, I've seen enough of the finished footage beyond the trailers and TV spots, listened to the soundtrack, and read the screenplay.

There is no way this movie won't be (at least) the best of the PT.

23. jariten

jariten Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2000
    Something new for you all to ponder over.

From 'Ceefax' on BBC2 (UK)

The new Star Wars film is a "bloodbath" which deserves its parental guidance PG-13 rating, a critic has said after an early screening of the movie.

Revenge of the Sith is the first Star Wars film to receive a cautionary PG-13 rating in the US.

Associated Press writer David Germain describes its action as "relentless".

"It includes sequences more dark and disturbing than anything previously seen in the tragic Skywalker soap opera," he said.

http://www.ceefax.tv/ (search for 'star wars' on BBC2, its at the top)

24. JediRac

JediRac Jedi Master star 2

Apr 10, 2001
    The PT bashers would only be satisfied with one type of movie:

A 2-hour Jedi VS. Sith Deathmatch Frag-fest..with Jar Jar caught in the middle. :p

If Spielberg loved it, and my best friend (who is completely spoiled and read the comic book) said it was awesome, then that's good enough for me.

I'll have my own reservations about the film in 8 days, but it won't be because a 3SAer begging for attention brought them on.

25. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Well, if it's a cry for attention, then the guy is a loser.

If he actually hated the movie that much, I honestly feel sorry for him.[face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.