*Official* 3NS ROTS Reviews (Ebert's review, spoiler-free inside!)

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Garth Maul, Apr 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qui_gon_jinn_83 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Man, it's now less than a day until I get to see this film (I'm in Sweden).
    I'm all tingly and stuff.

I tried to watch some of the trailers/ads, but they just don't do it anymore. I am so ready for this film now, and nothing will stop me from seeing it.

Must... be.... patient...
  2. Kiki-Gonn Chosen One

star 6
    Speaking of all the positive reviews...

I better see a standard "America's critics agree" commercial for ROTS. I'm still convinced that Lucas' fear of advertising helped keep many people away from the theater for AOTC. The chorus of bashing was not countered by a campaign of, "Hey, most critics actually like this movie." I think that would have helped. There were big name critics who really liked AOTC.
    Every other movie does it, even the ones that really do get panned. Why not SW?!
  3. stormcloud8 Force Ghost

star 4
    Good idea. I like it. They definitely should.
  4. bswb Force Ghost

star 1
    I've often wondered this. There were some great blurbs for AOTC and LFL didn't utilize them. Maybe the marketing department thought that a SW movie was enough of an event that they didn't need this?
  5. NorCalBirdz Jedi Master

star 4
    Anyway...bottom line...if you throw out those idiots who voted at a 1 on IMDB...the movie is currently running at a 9.4 rating. There is no other movie out there which has ever had a rating higher than 9.0, though of course the scores are adjusted somehow, I am not sure. Godfather and Shawshank are the two highest rated at 9.0.

Let's not get carried away. You can't just say "Take away the ones for this movie..." and not every other movie.
  6. stormcloud8 Force Ghost

star 4
    I understand that. The point was to show some general statistics. It's way too early to know what the score will end up at, but the positive trending is the key takeaway. The other numbers were given as a frame of reference.

And that's also why the actual numbers for all were given.
  7. Kittles93 Jedi Knight

star 1
    San Fran chronicle gives it a "good" rating...says when it sticks to Vader is brilliant but drags otherwise with "too much plot"...still, may be another "fresh" rating...

minneapolis star tribune gives it three stars...another positive

8. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    "57% of statistics are completely inaccurate" 8-}

9. Jedi knight Pozzi Force Ghost

star 6
    Reviews counted: 78
    Fresh: 66 Rotten: 12
    Average Rating: 7.5/10

RATING: FRESH READING: 85%
  10. stormcloud8 Force Ghost

star 4
    ARE YOU KIDDING??? Wow, how things have turned...this guy is actually talking about Oscars!!! WOO HOO!!!!

'Star Wars' goes out with a bang

By WILLIAM ARNOLD
    SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER MOVIE CRITIC

GRADE: A

Unless you happen to live on the planet Tatooine or some other backwater of the outer galaxy, you likely know by now that the consensus of advance opinion is that George Lucas has pulled off the near impossible with his "Star Wars: Episode III -- Revenge of the Sith."

After disappointing critics and hard-core fans (if not the mass audience) with the first two installments of his trilogy of "Star Wars" prequels -- "Episode I" (1999) and "II" (2002) -- Lucas has exonerated himself with lean, mean and irresistible "Episode III."

True, this final "Star Wars" -- ending the series that began an unbelievable 28 years ago -- contains little or no narrative suspense: We know exactly where it's heading. And it contains no real surprises: Most fans easily will have figured out its one plot-zinger from the earlier episodes.

But that doesn't seem to matter. The movie grabs us from its heart-pounding opening sequence and pulls us inexorably along its trajectory with the grip of the last gruesome act of a Greek tragedy. Its fascination is not what happens but HOW it happens.

It's also true that, perhaps more than any movie sequel or prequel ever made, this one requires our familiarity with what's gone before and after. If you haven't watched the other five episodes -- and refreshed your memory fairly recently -- you could be lost.

But this is the reality of the DVD era: Series filmmakers like Lucas and Peter Jackson simply assume that viewers will go into their films with all the earlier exposition firmly in mind, and waste no precious screen time with clumsy recaps.

Thus the movie hurls us three years into the Clone Wars and a critical situation in which Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor) and Anakin Skywalker (Hayden Christensen) are EDITED

From here, the movie whisks us to EDITED
    And the key to this event, as we've known since 1980's "Episode V," is the seduction of Anakin, a Jedi knight of immense power and prophetic destiny, by the Dark Side of the Force -- EDITED

When Obi-Wan realizes that his young apprentice is defecting, he has to stop him and it all boils down to an epic lightsaber battle on EDITED that will end, of course, with the creation of the most popular of all movie villains, Darth Vader.

Why is all this so much more riveting and exhilarating than "Episode I" and "Episode II"? Lucas claims it's because those two earlier outings contain 80 percent of the character exposition -- necessary but exacting -- while "Episode III" is all fast-paced story.

You can believe that or not (and others may cite I and II's wooden acting, dull characters and way-too-much repetitious and purposeless action), but there's no doubt that this series finale is structurally tight, dramatically taut and deliciously dark.

How dark? Well, it's the only "Star Wars" with a PG-13 rating and, visually and conceptually, it's certainly the most gothic of them: Like "Macbeth," "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" and "The Godfather" cycle -- it's the story of a likable character sinking into pure evil.

Lucas himself says he doesn't think it's suitable for preteens. But perhaps too much has been made of this. Except for EDITED the mayhem has not been drastically upped.

On the other hand, a small child surely will have difficulty following what is the most political of the "Star Wars" plotlines, working toward a coup sequence worthy of a Costa-Gavras thriller, and containing some biting parallels to our own post-9/11 state of siege.

It's also the most Shakespearean of the prequel episodes, a character drama that hinges the fate of its fantasy world on one man's difficult moral decision, and a movie designed to work much more off its performances than its action scenes.

Toward this end, the cast is surprisingly solid. Christensen embodies Anakin's unique blend of strength and weakness with style and
  11. stormcloud8 Force Ghost

star 4
    Obviously Oscar talk is probably far fetched...but I just have this cool image of George Lucas walking down a huge hallway at the Academy Awards with the celebration music from the medal ceremony at the end of ANH blaring over the speakers, the entire audience standing and applauding, everyone enjoying his greatest moment of triumph, with a huge smile on his face.
  12. Kittles93 Jedi Knight

star 1
    never happen that he would win...but if this film catches on with the public, it may well be nominated for Best Picture as a tip of the cap to Lucas for the six-film achievement
  13. stormcloud8 Force Ghost

star 4
    At the least I hope it wins best Effects or Music. It needs to win something, even if not Best Picture.
  14. marajadebean Jedi Knight

star 2
    Great googlie ooglies! No, I can't see Lucas getting a Best Picture Oscar for this either but man, he does deserve some kind of recognition.

Man, I am so ready for this movie now. This time tomorrow, I'm going to be on amped up kid. And yes, I say kid because the child in my comes alive for these movies.

[face_dancing] *running around in circles* [face_dancing]
  15. Jedi knight Pozzi Force Ghost

star 6
    If this movie was released closer to oscar time, then maybe, but it's too far away now.

But that passage was a jolly good wheeze.
  16. Kittles93 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Atlanta Journal Constitution: A-

I only read opening and ending paragraphs since they don't have spoilers.

I like the one by this writer.

"May the force always be with you, George Lucas."
  17. Darth_Zoo Jedi Master

star 4
    I hope that SW at least wins best visuals. TPM and AotC should have won but never did.

Best music, costumes, and other more technical awards too should have an SW nod. The crew really deserves it.
  18. Philagape Jedi Knight

star 1
    I can't predict anything with certainty until I see it, but I have a feeling ROTS will be nominated for best picture, as a tribute to the saga.
  19. TurnedJedi Jedi Master

star 2
    While not having seen RotS (but I will in 14 and 1/2 hours!!! :D ) I really can't say anything about its Oscar-chances. But however, the saga as a whole deserves a little more professional acknowledgement. So maybe a nomination or two would be in order.

And oh yes, I'm afraid that RotS is out of the running as far as music Oscar goes. The Academy changed the rules a year or two ago (to the year after Return of the King) so sequels (or prequels) cannot win, unfortunately.

Which, in theory means that one of the greatest and most recognized movie themes ever, The Imperial March, will never win an Oscar. Sad, but true.
  20. Kittles93 Jedi Knight

star 1
    washington post gives it a very good review...can someone spoiled post edited text? i am very interested in this review. thanks in advance.
  21. KNIMBLEKNIGHT Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yes, I'm interested in reading the Stephen Hunter (Washington Post) review as well. If someone could de-spoilerize that one, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks!
  22. Ekenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    69 to 13!!! Yeah baby!!!!
  23. Kittles93 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Boston Globe calss Sith "remarkable"...would love to see this review too, my spoiler friends!
  24. DarthTickle Jedi Master

star 1
    Stephen Hunter gave it a good review? I didn't think that guy could recognize fun if it bit him in the... well anyway, I'd love to see a non-spoiler review!
  25. Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost

star 6
    My local news critic gave RotS 4 out of 5, calling it the best of the 6 because is was violent and mature.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.