main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Official** Acting Discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Darth Dark Helmet, May 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Steve

Jedi_Steve Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 30, 2001
    I had already posted some stuff in the newest acting thread...which might be locked...so here's my spiel again :)

thought that most of the acting was satisfying...with some shining performances and a couple bad spots mixed in.

The three tops for me were Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan (I really grew to like the character much more), Chris Lee as Count Dooku (very subtle and somewhat calm, with a dark charm and class, very sinister and evil), and Ian McDiarmid as Palpatine at number 3. He does such a wonderful job at portraying Palpatine's rise through the ranks, and plays such a great phony that most non-fans would have no idea that he's up to something. These three imo were the most consistent, strong performances.

I also thought that some of the supporting characters did great, for what little screen time and dialogue that they had. First choice for this category being Jango Fett. Mace Windu once again showed his serious jedi side, following order...while getting some other shining moments from other sides of his character (the surprise in the arena, and the little dialogue he had during the clone battle). I also found Cliegg Lars to be very believable, adding a different type of personality and voice into the film.

As far as Anakin and Padme, both had shining moments and both had a couple dissapointing moments. I loved the way Hayden mixed so many emotions into the character... arrogant, serious, stern, passionate, obsessive, dreamy, anger, hatred, and sadness. His most convincing emotions were that of hatred and pain, with obsession coming in at a close second. Portman's shining moments were when she was acting like a normal everyday person, sliping out of the senator's shoes (while I do think she did well as a political voice in the film). I thought her two best scenes were the Love Pledge (while some find it cheesy I fell for it) and the medow picnic (despite a few weird lines).

The animated characters, while not performed with live humans, still have a very important role in the film. The animation for the most part was great for each character. Frank Oz was awesome as the good ol' yodster. I loved Dex (awesome voice performance and animation) and the Kaminoans were very cool (both voice and character desing/movements). The geonosians were great as well. Watto was wonderful as he was in TPM. All in all A+ with the CGI characters.

As far as negatives...there weren't any serious ones...just a few background characters that I didn't find completely convincing (Captain Typho, Corde, Nute Gunray's buddy (couldn't stand the voice..only real complaint)...

The biggest problems were the very small roles of Owen and Beru...just a scene or two between them and Anakin and Padme would have fleshed out their characters much more. Only bits and pieces of dialogue handicapped the acting...two in particular that come to mind are Anakin's "sand line" and Padme's "following thoughts through to conclusion" from the fireplace chat....but no big deal to me. Most of the rest of the dialogue was just fine to me, with some very exceptional lines. I watch Star Wars for a wonderful visuals and a captivating story...so acting doesn't affect me THAT much..but for AOTC I thought it was very satisfying...in some areas exceeding my expectations. Anyhoo...I've been babbling for WAY too long....if you've made it this far congrats

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.