main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD Official Anime Thread

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Grieyls, Mar 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    It'll be a cold day in Hell before anyone watches DZ in my presence :p

Well, maybe it's time for more Anime Marathons then?

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

2. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    You'll have no fear of that ever happening in my presence MD, can't stand DZ.

3. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Just so I know what you're talking about, what does DZ stand for?

4. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    I assume it's the show I would personally abbreviate to DBZ. I'll leave it at that, as I dare not speak its name, pox that it is.

I'm always interested in seeing new anime. I've never watched all that much of it, comparatively, but I'm always quite curious about it. Count me in for any open house-y or marathon-esque events.

5. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    That's what I thought too. Glad to know that the abbriev. DBZ isn't a parallel universe thing then.

And how - I quite like anime (even if its "fans" are a blight on society :p) so I'm usually up for any anime viewing thingos.

6. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    DZ = Dragonball Z.

*shudder*

Plenty of series deserve a marathon; all subject to mood and personal taste. Might be worth discussing at a later time.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

7. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Gah! You mentioned the title in full! Now I feel like I need a shower, and I just had one too... Dang you! *mutters to self as he makes his way back to the bathroom*

8. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    Suck it up marine. Go scrub.:p

We'll see what we can organise marathon wise.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

9. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Well so long as it is not the afore mentioned rubbish I will be there, chances are though I've already seen it... Meh, oh well.

10. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    :S Is there no one with editing privs to black out that first line?

I'd definately be up for an anime marathon.

11. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Believe me, if I could I would have done so the minute I saw it :p

12. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    Been a while since we dusted this thread off!

Recently the Duchess, the Shogun and I marathoned Le Chevalier D'eon. I previously said this about the series:

The key word is "pretty". It concerns the title character's investigation of his sister's murder at the hands of psalmists. Mercurial Zombies are involved. A dude may be a chick. Sean Connery is Planchet. Robspierre may be a wizard. I'm gonna keep up with this.

Having watched the entire 24 episode run of the series, most of that still holds. What was suprising is that Robspierre was based on Leonardo DiCaprio (particuarly his portrayal in The Man in the Iron Mask) and one of the villains was based on Tom Baker!

The series is good and enjoyable, but for some reason the ending just felt a little flat to me. After merrily corrupting history with wild abandon, everything wraps up just a bit too neatly. I may enjoy it more on a second run through (won't be for a while though), but my current thinking is that this is a series I won't be picking up.

I also finally finished The Irresponsible Captain Tylor; also fun, enjoyable from beginning to end, but I get the feeling I'm missing something culturally here, like something didn't get conveyed fully when the series was dubbed into English. However, it really doesn't matter when the main character is either an insane genius or a lucky moron who manages to win every single battle he finds himself in. He makes it seem like Kirk was just trying too damn hard...

I'm currently working my way through the OVA series of it now; the fist disc continues the main plotline of the UPSF/Raalgon Empire War, while the second seems to be composed of side stories of other characters during some downtime in the war. The third disc I assume will wrap up the series somewhat.

After that, i'm going to see if I can track down a copy of the Martian Successor Nadesico boxset. I think it's one worth adding to the collection.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

13. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Le Chevalier D'eon did seem to have an odd predilection for putting its protagonist in dresses constantly...

It wasn't Robespierre, it was Angstspierre - I thought we established that :p

It was an enjoyable and very pretty series, though I did think the whole "psalms" thing seemed like the gimmick to make it deeper than it actually was. Although I do think I should apologise for complaining so bitterly about the logic of it all :p (It's just, they went to all the trouble of the beautiful art design, and they slip up by having one or two costume pieces really glaringly wrong...)

At points the show felt like bookworm adventures - battling with powerful words... At that point I was probably clawing for a small cauldron of coffee though. Heh heh.

14. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    Le Chevalier D'eon did seem to have an odd predilection for putting its protagonist in dresses constantly...

Yeah, reminds me of this for some reason.

It wasn't Robespierre, it was Angstspierre - I thought we established that

Yes, you're absolutely right. God-damned token angsty antagonist...

The Psalms thing, while ultimately shallow, was a cool hook. The final battle where the Queen "cheated" was a neat idea

And yeah, we were frankly bathing in coffee by that point.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

15. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    When can I get my grubby little hands on this???

16. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Any retail store sellig DVD's can give you these titles... But I'm guessing you already knew that :p

17. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
  18. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    Haven't watched a lot of anime of late, but I just heard about a series called Starship Operators. It's a 12 episode series, so short, but it was given a slightly higher rating than Trigun by Empire Magazine. This leads me to believe it's worth checking out.

I started watching Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex; well written, voiced and animated; the Major has lost her startling predilection to strip nekkid at every opportunity. And the Police Tanks are just sooo cute. And voiced by Reba West!

I've also got the first volume of Black Lagoon around here. Will let you know more once I've gotten into it.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

19. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    Black Lagoon is interesting enough that I'll pick up the second volume to look at, then move from there.

I also watched the first volume of Chrono Crusade. My thoughts on this can be summed up by "WTF?? The 16 year old nun wants the demon to check our her ass??" That being said, I'm told the series does get better. Trigun started stupid and improved vastly, so this may be the same.

I've started watching a very neat series called Kurouni Kenshin, Wandering Samurai. Set in the Meiji Period in Tokyo 10 Years after the fall of the Tokugawa Shogunate, Kenshin is a reclusive samurai of amazing skill who refuses to kill and trying to escape his past. Any more would be telling, but what's neat about this series is that it follows the story of a character after the major war has been fought and won and evil vanquished, so what happens next. Apparently this, and it's utterly charming.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

20. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Never got to watching Rurouni Kenshin (although I always intended to), but I was always a little bit of a fan of the Samurai X OVAs and movie. I guess I'll "borrow" the Shogun's copy one of these days. [face_thinking]

21. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    I've recently finished getting and watched Hell Girl. I thoroughly enjoyed this show. Quite different and original in its delivery I have to say. And there is a second season that I believe was just picked up by ADV, so there is a possibility that it will appear on our shores in the near future. I can only hope ;)

22. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    I was standing about in JB's anime section today as the guy was unpacking some stock and he pulls out a copy of the RahXephon box set I've been wanting. Apparently they sell out really quickly.

So I grabbed it, and for just under $50 too - good deal [face_peace] I really enjoy this series. It's kind of like Evangelion except with a happy ending (or an ending that's more obviously happy anyway - Less depressing...). Slight Oedipal themes towards the very end with the giant robot world shaping battle ... thing, but still - really good. The art style is very pretty, and there's a big emphasis on music that I got a kick out of. And the main character is a likeable sort of kid, and the link between the main lead and the main female lead is a really bitter-sweet kind of story.

23. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Hmmmm, been meaning to get that one myself... So much to buy with so much time :p

24. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    You know what? I'm noticing a trend to my anime purchasing in the last whatever.

RahXephon
    Robotech
    Martian Successor Nadesico
    The Big O

Giant. Robots.

25. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Nothing wrong with Giant robots ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.