main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD Official Anime Thread

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Grieyls, Mar 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Loz and I watched through the whole of The Melencholy of Haruhi Suzumiya on the weekend. In a word, fantastic. A brilliantly sureal deconstruction of anime tropes, and just a hilarious and engaging story. Really looking forward to the second series that Wikipedia says is on the way.

2. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    Dammit, if I'd heard the phrase "surreal deconstruction of anime tropes" when I'd first heard about this series, I'd have already watched it!

That's +3 recommendations now; guess it'll be my next one after Kenshin.

JB seem to selling random anime titles really cheaply for some reason. I just picked up the Read or Die TV series for under $45. Might see what else they have available.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

3. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    I believe they currently have a sale on their madman box sets, if that helps.

4. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    I can furnish you with high-quality copies, Magnus. I'm thinking of buying it, though, I really enjoyed it. Worth watching for the animation quality alone, you can see that they threw a lot of money at this thing.

5. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    Told ya's ;) :p

6. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    For some reason that made sense at the time (I'm sure), I've delayed Kenshin and The Melencholy of Haruhi Suzumiya viewings to go back to watching Starblazers.

God, I love this show. It's definitely one of my first exposures to anime; it's a toss up between this, Astro-Boy, Speed Racer, Battle of the Planets, Voltron (Vehicle Series) and Kimba the White Lion.

Why do I have such a good memory for 25 - 30 year old cartoons, but I forget to pay my phone bill?? :p

Anyway, Starblazers has held it's age ridiculously well. It was gratifying when the Shogun bought this based only on my old nostalgic musings on the show, and it turned out to still be good :p

Case in point, I got choked up last week when whilst watching, the gruff Captain Avatar shed a tear over the fact that no survivors were found in a wrecked Earth Space Craft. As the Shogun said, "the most manly tear ever shed."

There are three movies (still in the original Japanese sadly) that wrap up the storyline of the series, and I'll be picking those up sometime soon.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

7. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Nifty. Vehicle Series? Bah, Voltron is composed only of giant lion-bots as far as I'm concerned. :p Pretty sure my first anime exposure was either Voltron or TranZorZ... [face_thinking]

Oh yeah - I got a JB card for my birthday and I ended up using it on the Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex series, so that's cool too.

8. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Actually there was two series of Voltron distinct from each other as one was the lion bots as you say but the other was composed of various vehicles such a planes, cars, and other humany driven devices... Mostly noted as Vehicle force Voltron no less ;)

9. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    The Duchess is trying to suggest that the vehicle series was so bad it doesn't exist for her. Like my policy concerning movies involving Scottish Immortals, there can be only one :p

I disagree however, I liked vehicle series Voltron. But I'll be the first to admit it probably hasn't aged well.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

10. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Not so much - my statement was more out of nostalgia - to me Lion bots are in the fore-front of my mind. I never really had much to do with the vehicle bots so I find it hard to let them into plain of my nostaglia.

Of course, it may also have been bad. :p

11. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    Lion bots are just AWESOME. Giant mechanical lions that form a bigger robot, what is NOT cool about that? Vehicle Force is so mundane. Besides, last I checked there were only 2 boxes available for Vehicle Force, but a whole 5 for Lion Force, isn't that saying something?

12. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
  13. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Yeah, Vehicle Force Voltron made so much money from it's popularity that a second series went on the cards for production. Too bad they went the old lion bot route [face_mischief] ... Meh

Seriously though just because a series lasts longer doesn't make it better... [points to DBZ] What a load of tripe that show is and yes... It's still going [face_worried]

Always prefered Vehicle Force myself anyway. :p

14. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Still though... Lion Bots.

In a sort of half hearted defence of the creator of DBZ, he did keep trying to end it, but apparently those rotten so-and-so's up top just wouldn't let it die due to its crazy popularity. As far as I'm aware the actual series has been ended for a while - there's just so bloody much of it. But then I forget they keep making the damn movies...

15. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    Vehicle Force was... so Transformers. I had a hard time telling the difference between the two shows when I was younger.

DBZ only proves one thing - kids of today have NO TASTE. :p

16. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Oh I wouldn't say all younglings have bad taste...Certainly have been working on my Niece and Nephews to broaden thier horizons in good taste :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.