main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL* AotC at the Box Office Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by w_sasso_mdtv, May 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    How the heck is $27M U.S. "disappointing."

That's like calling the fourth-grossing movie of all-time a major disappointment or something.

2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I'm revising my worldwide gross prediction for AOTC down to $600 million worldwide. In real dollars, it will be the worst-performing of all the Star Wars films.

3. KeithFranklin

KeithFranklin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 22, 1998
    Did NBC Friends and other special season finales cut the BOX office last night?

Just read that the season finale of Friends had huge numbers last night.

Did people choose to stay home and see this and wait to see AOTC this weekend?

4. smauldookie

smauldookie Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    let's all do our part in helping AOTC meet our predictions. iam going to see it tonight and sat and sun again. then next weekend iam going to see it in a DLP screen the way it was ment to be seen.

see ya'll at the theaters.

smaul OUT!!!!

5. KeithFranklin

Jul 22, 1998
    I will be seeing AOTC for the 3rd time on Sunday on a DLP.

6. micrtekmike

micrtekmike Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2002
    I loved AOTC. I saw it Thursday morning at 930, and I've got tickets to my employers exclusive DLP screening Saturday morning at 830. I'll probably see it at least 2 more times after that, maybe even more, just to make sure I fully appreciate the whole movie.

I don't care how much money it makes. For all I care, no one else in the world will watch it. I liked it, that's all that matters. I liked Spider Man too, but it wasn't in my top 10 movies or anything. AOTC was great, no matter how much money it makes. If Lucas really wanted this to be the highest grossing movie of all time, he could have done it. Thankfully, he spent his energy making a quality movie for the fans and not a money maker for the masses.

But who really knows? It's only been open for a day and half....let's give it at least till the end of next weekend and then we'll see who the real msater is. No pun intended. :)

7. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    Keep in mind that the only people who have probably seen it so far are SW fans. Who else goes to see a movie on Thursday? We'll have to wait at least a week to see how regular moviegoers react to AOTC.

8. The Flying Dutchman

The Flying Dutchman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2000
    uhhmmm, they are not sure yet wheter the $27 includes the $6 opening 'night' guys... And Thursday's got to be a downside: TPM did only $12 that day (1 day after release! No worries - yet :p)

9. jedi-jeff

jedi-jeff Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 2, 2000
    I think expectations that AOTC would do as well as TPM or Spiderman at the box office are completely unrealistic.

First, AOTC is a sequel and sequels never make as much as the original film.

Second, this film opened on fewer screens than Spiderman which will lower the gross for AOTC. Spiderman will easily be the top grossing film of the summer.

A total US gross for AOTC will probably be around $350-400 million with about $100 milllion of that total from Thursday-Sunday.

10. CountBakufu

CountBakufu Jedi Master star 2

Oct 10, 2001
    I went to the midnight showing, then the noon & 7pm opening day shows and every one of them were sold out with people offereing to pay $25-$30 a ticket.
    When I left the 7pm showing there was a line wrapped around the entire theater. It will definately out gross Spidey but not sure if it will outgross TPM. We can only hope because it's a better film IMO.
    Funny because ANH, TPM, ROTJ are all on the top 10 grossing films but ESB, which is the best IMO didn't make the list.

11. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    I'd say for a Thursday thats really good, who goes to the cinema on a Wednesday midnight and Thursday day, when they have work anyway or school? I know my local cinema is sold out for friday night, so it can only get better.

12. os2Kenobi

os2Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 1999
    it was just recently that it got pushed off the list. It might jump back on after a re-release.

13. MINI_YODA

MINI_YODA Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 25, 2002
    Thursday was a weird day to launch a film. Afterall alot of non-fans probably just said they would wait one day for the weekend then go see it.

On a side note, here in Canada, our biggest chain, Famous Players must be some of the stupidest people. First they took until May 10th to finally get the freakin movie, then they 'had' it on one screen per cinema until like 2 days before. Finally they put it into multiple theaters for the regular Thursday showing, and only hours before did they begin to sell extra theaters for midnight showings because of demand. Complete stupidity.

I even called one theater, the Colossus near Toronto and the girl who answered the line said that SW would be only showing in ONE theater!!!!! And she had no idea that the DLP projector was being sent there!

What a bunch of maroons.

14. SY-SNOOTLES

SY-SNOOTLES Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    I don't know how it was for everyone else, but here in Toronto, I had a HELL of a time trying to get tickets for a midnight showing. Not b/c they were all sold out, but b/c the Famous Players movie theatres kept insisting that there weren't going to be any midnight shows.

It was only b/c I called them every single day the two weeks prior that I found out that they were finally having a midnight showing. And that wasn't until the night before!

So, the midnight show at the location I went to was sold out, but I found out that there were so many other locations that were going practially empty since ppl didn't even know there were midnight shows!

Why would the movie theatres do that?

15. KeithFranklin

Jul 22, 1998
    Estimate updated to $30,141,417...

16. smauldookie

Mar 5, 2002
    'Attack of the Clones' Thursday Actual: $30,141,417
    by Brandon Gray
    May 17, 2002

HOLLYWOOD (Box Office Mojo) - The Force was with Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones as it soared past its predecessor to score the third biggest opening day ever and the most business Thursday has ever seen.

Attack of the Clones pulled in $30,141,417 from approximately 6,100 screens at 3,161 theaters, averaging a scorching $9,535 per site.

got it off boxofficemojo.com

that is pretty damn good for a thursday opening. don't forget people AOTC is also opening in 74 countries this weekend also.

iam hoping todays gross will surpass the 30mill it made thursday.

iam also hoping it tops $100mill for the weekend not including opening day $.

17. DarthScully

DarthScully Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2001
    very impressed. i thought it'll jsut do $25-28 M. now it does $30M. very good. and this is just domestic receipts. wait till the overseas receipts pour in.

i couldn't think of a movie that opened on a thursday, nevermind opening this big.

looks like SW made another record :).

18. Darth Euro

Darth Euro Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    My prediction is now $105 million for the 4-day weekend.

19. SuXII

SuXII Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    These post must be old. AOTC has beat TPM, check here on the site.

20. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    Pretty good PER-THEATER AVERAGE of $9,535.
    Just a hair under TPM's $9,610.

21. smauldookie

Mar 5, 2002
    Title Date Gross Day Est. Prints Print Avg Theaters Thtr. Avg.

1 Spider-Man May 3, 2002 $ 39,407,000 FRI 7,500 $ 5,254 3,615 $ 10,901
    2 Harry Potter Nov 16, 2001 32,333,203 FRI 8,100 3,992 3,672 8,805
    3 Star Wars Episode II May 16, 2002 30,141,417 THU 6,000 5,024 3,161 9,535
    4 Star Wars Episode I May 19, 1999 28,542,349 WED 5,500 5,190 2,970 9,610

got it from boxofficeguru.com
    go check it out!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

22. vansmak

vansmak Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 1999
    it's funny, when the estimate was at 27 this morning, mojo had some comments about it not doing as good as TPM, that maybe overall it wasn't going to do as much. When the actual figures came out to 30, they changed their minds. That 3 million made a difference.

30 mil is very good. I think Thursday is different than Wednesday, and of course Friday.

I think if it opened Wednesday it would have made more, because that's one extra day before the weekend, and people may not have wanted to wait. Plus the fact TPM was 16 years before a new Star Wars movie. Plus, in one day, there's only so much money you can make. I'd assume most shows after 7 were sold out, so the difference is the earlier shows.

I also heard all over the media how it wasn't going to be in as many theaters as spider-man. That may have delayed a few people from seeing it, especially since the weekend is only a day a way...

I say about 85 for these next 3 days..

-smak-

23. Jedi_Master_Jazz

Jedi_Master_Jazz Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2001
    With the TPM it was the 1st Star wars movie after a long time so alot of people wanted to see it, i doubt they will beat Spider man's record as it opened in more places thus giving an advantage, i do think it will make more money overall though, i wouldn't be suprised if AOTC makes about $1 billion, also how much did titanic make overall?

24. Darth Euro

Darth Euro Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    Jedi_Master_Jazz,

Titanic made a boat-load of money... $1.8 billion worldwide. (Its about twice as much as the nearest movies, Harry Potter and TPM)
    The split was $600 million US domestic, and $1.2 billion internationally.

And to think it all started with a $27 million opening weekend. :)

25. PowerfulJedi

PowerfulJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2000
    It doesn't matter how much Episode 2 will make. Well, I take that back it does, but it won't compare to how much Episode 3 will make in it's first day being it is the last movie and is when all the REALLY important stuff occurs. I also have a gut feeling that Episode 3 will beat out Titanic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.