*OFFICIAL* AotC at the Box Office Thread

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by w_sasso_mdtv, May 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthTomas Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Well AOTC pulled in another $32 million on Saturday. It will make a killing over Memorial weekend as word of mouth spreads and fans go back for more :D

Titanic is going down!!!
  2. Darth Euro Jedi Master

star 4
    AOTC will clearly have better word-of-mouth than TPM. But IMO the X-factor for how AOTC's legs will turn out is how much the "16yr hype" for TPM had to do with so many non-fans seeing TPM, giving TPM its good legs.

AOTC could concievably have worse legs even though it is a better movie than TPM. Stranger things have happened. (Many consider ESB to be superior to ANH, but it grossed less as well)
  3. Sonic_Pumpkins Jedi Knight

star 2
    Wow...I estimated $400 mil for AOTC total domestic gross, it looks like I'll be eating my words...gladly!

These numbers are enormously larger than I anticipated! I have absolutely no notion in my mind that AOTC would be TPM opening weekend gross...I thought I was impossible! Hopefully this keeps up!
  4. Darth-KrayzieBone Force Ghost

star 3
    And dont forget that next weekend is memorial day weekend. Thats another $70 to $80 million over the 4 days.

Edit:

A- CinemaScore Rating
  5. SioBibblesLovechild Jedi Padawan

$116 million! F***king amazing! I didn't expect it to make more than TPM.
    And look at all the things it had going against it.

1 quarter of the promotion that Spider-man had, The popular media reports that people hated TPM and weren't looking forward to AOTC as much, fewer screens than Spider-man and stiff competition from a movie destined to be in the top 5 of all time
  6. moby Jedi Knight

star 1
    i was just looking at amazon's user reviews for AOTC and most of them are really, really positive. i think this movie will have much better word of mouth than the critics would have us believe.

i think its box office legs are strong.
  7. SioBibblesLovechild Jedi Padawan

I think it has legs too. Although it seems it will have major competition from Spider-man which is a self contained movie. You don't need to know a thing about Spider-man going in. Some people I talked to seemed confused during AOTC and some are just too stupid to realize that it is part of a six part saga and everything cannot be explained in one film. Either way it doesn't matter how much it made, the movie rocked!
  8. w_sasso_mdtv Jedi Knight

star 2
    Wow, I must say that I've very impressed with AOTC's numbers over the weekend. $86 million in 3 days is excellent. Especially, since the movie opened on far less screens than SPIDERMAN, and had less hype. What's almost equally amazing is SPIDERMAN's 3 day gross of $46 million. It fell only 36% from last weekend. I thought it would fall at least 50%. This is going to be a huge summer for movies.
  9. BucMan55 Jedi Master

star 4
    It made 10M more in it's first 4 days than TPM did in it's first 5. It also equaled(surpassed) Spidey as far as end of first Sunday totals.
  10. Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Master

star 4
    Sweet! Didn't know how it was doing so far. Good to hear.
  11. Razorback Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Its per screen take is nearly equal to Spidey. Also, had AOTC opened up on Friday instead of Thursday (and been on as many screens as Spider-man) it probably would have pulled in over $50 million.

So on an even scale as Spider-man AOTC would more likely than not have had the highest grossing opening weekend.

RB
  12. Darth_SnowDog Jedi Master

star 4
    'Clones' Hits $116M in Four Days
    Sunday May 19 1:56 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (AP) The latest "Star Wars" movie took in $116.3 million in its first four days and became the second-fastest film behind only "Spider-Man" to top $100 million.

After grossing $30.1 million on opening day Thursday, "Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones" collected $86.15 million Friday to Sunday, the third-highest debut ever for a three-day weekend, behind "Spider-Man" and "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone."

"Attack of the Clones" did not approach box-office records set two weeks ago by "Spider-Man," which debuted with $114.8 million in three days. But "Episode II" had a faster start than its 1999 predecessor, "Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace," which opened on a Wednesday and took five days to reach $105 million.

"We're delighted with this performance," said Bruce Snyder, head of distribution for 20th Century Fox, which releases the "Star Wars" movies. "`Star Wars' opened with `Spider-Man' in the marketplace, something that's extraordinarily popular. It's another 800-pound gorilla, and we still opened to spectacular numbers."

Playing in 3,161 theaters, "Attack of the Clones" averaged a whopping $27,254. The film opened in about 450 fewer theaters than "Spider-Man" because "Star Wars" creator George Lucas was choosy about locations, insisting on top-of-the-line cinemas with digital sound.

It's the same strategy applied to "Phantom Menace," which did not break opening-weekend records but had more staying power than most blockbusters, climbing to $431 million, No. 4 on the all-time list.

"No apologies need to be made for an opening this big," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Exhibitor Relations. "This is the fifth installment of `Star Wars,' and for this film to do so well these many years later and still be this relevant, it's a testament to the power of Lucas' vision and the allure it has for audiences."

Only one major movie opened against "Attack of the Clones," the Hugh Grant romance "About a Boy," which came in at No. 4 with $8.4 million in 1,207 theaters for a healthy $6,959 average.

"Spider-Man" slipped to No. 2 in its third weekend but held up well with $46 million, bringing its total to $286.5 million in 17 days. The film already ranks 14th on the all-time domestic box-office chart, just behind "The Empire Strikes Back."

By next weekend, "Spider-Man" should be pushing the top five on its way to $400 million and beyond.

"I think we're in both a sprint and a marathon," said Jeff Blake, head of distribution and marketing for Sony, which released "Spider-Man." "We're breaking records very quickly, but we also seem to be running a long way, as well."

The latest record for "Spider-Man" was hitting $250 million on Friday, its 15th day. "The Phantom Menace" had been the fastest film to cross that mark, in 19 days.

Powered by "Star Wars" and "Spider-Man," the top 12 films grossed $170 million, up 77 percent from the same weekend a year ago.

With those two movies likely to remain strong and a solid crop of newcomers arriving Friday, Hollywood is likely to beat the Memorial Day box-office record of $185.3 million set last year, Dergarabedian said.

Big films opening next weekend are the animated tale "Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron" and thrillers starring Al Pacino and Robin Williams ("Insomnia") and Jennifer Lopez ("Enough").

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at North American theaters, according to Exhibitor Relations Co. Inc. Final figures will be released Monday.
  13. vansmak Jedi Knight

star 1
    The amazing thing is how the boxoffice can support these two blockbuster films without blinking an eye. There are SOOOO many screens now in the US..Next week, Spirit opens on 3000 screens, Enough on 2400 and Insomnia on 2400 too.

Two movies opening 2 weeks apart are both destined for 400 million. Amazing stuff.

-smak-

PS. Another way to look at is, AOTC made $116 in 4 days, TPM 116 in 6 days..
  14. DeltaJedi Jedi Master

star 1
    Oooh...wow, tough choice this weekend. An animated movie about a horse or the latest fiasco for "J-Lo"...

Who's up for another AotC dominating weekend? :)
  15. Dagobah_Dude Force Ghost

star 3
    This is from Reuters wire service:
    'Clones' box office tally is out of this world
    LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Ticket sales for the new "Star Wars" movie were out of this world, soaring to $183 million at box offices worldwide in the first four days of release.

According to studio estimates issued Sunday, "Star Wars: Episode II -- Attack of the Clones," grossed an estimated $116.3 million across the United States and Canada.

The foreign total for the Twentieth Century Fox release stands at $66.7 million from 74 other countries, said Bruce Snyder, president of distribution at the Fox Entertainment Group Inc.-owned studio.

After opening Thursday with $30.1 million from 3,161 theaters across North America, the fifth movie in filmmaker George Lucas' long-running sci-fi adventure franchise added $86.2 million for the Friday-to-Sunday period.

The three-day weekend tally ranks at No. 3 among all-time new releases, behind "Spider-Man," which opened with a phenomenal $114.84 million two weeks ago, and "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" with $90.29 million last November.

"Clones" took four days to break $100 million, second only to "Spider-Man," which took three days in 3,615 theaters.

The last "Star Wars" movie to hit theaters, "Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace," a Wednesday opener in May 1999, took five days to reach the $100 million level. It earned $64.81 million in its first weekend, and ended up with $431.09 million -- No. 4 on the all-time list in North America.

'CLONES' ON FOREIGN OFFENSIVE

The Force was also strong overseas. In both Germany and Britain, "Attack of the Clones" set a studio record for Fox, and each ranked as the No. 2 opener of all time, Snyder said.

Fox, which is distributing the film by arrangement with Lucas' privately held Lucasfilm Ltd., opted to synchronize the international rollout because some foreign fans were a little impatient waiting for the film to reach them last time around, said Gordon Radley, president of Lucasfilm.

By early July, "Clones" will enter its final markets in Japan -- the world's No. 2 territory -- South Korea and Latin America, he said.

The story follows the budding romance between the future Darth Vader (played by Hayden Christensen) and Padme Amidala (Natalie Portman), the parents-to-be of Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia. Lucas directed the film and co-wrote the script with Jonathan Hales. It was budgeted between $110 million and $115 million, Radley said.

The sixth and final installment will begin production next year with release scheduled for 2005.

After two weeks atop the box office, "Spider-Man" slipped to No. 2 with $46 million -- a record for a film in its third weekend, said Jeff Blake, president of worldwide marketing and distribution at Sony Pictures Entertainment. The previous record was $33.3 million set by "Titanic" in January 1998.

With $286.5 million banked to date, Blake said the superhero adventure is on track to pass $330 million by the end of next weekend, which is the four-day Memorial Day holiday in the United States.

The Sam Raimi-directed film took 15 days to pass $250 million and 17 days to pass $275 million, breaking speed records of 19 and 24 days, respectively, set by "Phantom Menace." Sony Pictures is a unit of Sony Corp.

"BOY" BOWS AT NO. 4

The top 10 boasted two other new entries. "About A Boy," a romantic comedy starring Hugh Grant, opened at No. 4 with a solid $8.4 million from just 1,207 theaters. The Universal Pictures release played strongest to its target audience of women aged 30-plus, said a spokesman for the Vivendi Universal -owned studio.

It will expand to about 1,500 theaters next weekend as part of a counterprogramming gambit to draw audiences not enticed by "Spider-Man" or "Attack of the Clones." Grant plays a caddish London playboy who teams up with a youngster for their mutual benefit in the dating game.

Rounding out the top five, the Richard Gere romantic thriller "Unfaithful" (Fox) slipped to No. 3 in its second weekend with $10.3 million for a 12-day total
  16. kawkaw Jedi Knight

star 2
    Just imagine if you tally one of Spider-Man's 39 to 42 take to his 4 day gross, he would have made over a 150 million in 4 days. Still 86 million over the weekend isn't bad at all, but damn, 114.8 in 3 days is simply mind boggling. I still wished AOTC had passed Harry Potter's 90 million take--damn it fell a little short. $114.8 is still a record that every movie that ever comes out will try to beat, I personally think that only Spider-Man 2 or Episode 3, has a chance to pass SPIDER-MAN's $114.8 million at the Box Office. SPIDER-MAN making 46 million after his 3rd week and going toe to toe with a newly released Star Wars, is simply unheard of. I guess SPIDER-MAN has PLENTY OF LEGS at the Box Office...that's for d@mn sure.
  17. Icebreaker Force Ghost

star 4
    Check out what BOX-OFFICE MOJO just posted on there site! Things are looking good for AOTC worldwide:

'Attack of the Clones' Conquers the World with $183 Million Opening
    by Brandon Gray
    May 19, 2002

HOLLYWOOD (Box Office Mojo) - George Lucas and 20th Century Fox may not have expected to shatter any records with the latest installment of the most popular franchise in movie history, but that's exactly what they did.

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones blasted off with $183 million from its unprecedented worldwide launch over the weekend ending May 19, while Spider-Man, About a Boy and others not only survived but thrived under the shadow of the digital epic.

Playing on approximately 6,100 screens at 3,161 theaters across North America, Attack of the Clones pulled in an estimated $86,150,000 over the weekend, the third biggest opening ever after Spider-Man's $114,844,116 and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer Stone's $90,294,621.

Unlike those pictures, though, the Clones eased some of its demand with its unusual Thursday bow, delivering a new weekday record of $30,141,417. Add that to the weekend haul and the $115 million prequel has raced to an estimated $116,291,000 in just four days, making it the second fastest movie ever behind Spider-Man to cross the century mark and topping The Phantom Menace's five-day sprint. The tally is even enough to rank as the 172nd highest grossing picture of all time.

Breaking the weekend down, Clones eased 16.4% on Friday to $25.2 million, then jumped 28% to $32.25 million on Saturday, and Fox is projecting an 11.0% dip to $28.7 million on Sunday, the studio's executive vice president and general sales manager Rick Myerson said. Myerson noted that part of the reason for the strong Sunday hold is that Canada will be celebrating Victoria Day on Monday, making Sunday behave like a Saturday there -- much the same way Memorial Day affects the United States. There's also historical precedent from The Phantom Menace.

Three years ago, The Phantom Menace drew in $18,467,513 on its first Friday and third day of release, playing on around 5,500 screens at 2,970 theaters. It enjoyed a 32.2% bump-up on Saturday to $24,414,123, and then fell just 10.2% on Sunday to $21,929,334. That added up to a $64,810,970 weekend, the second biggest opening ever at the time. It ended its run at $431,088,297, a total that stands as the fourth highest of all time.

If the weekend estimate holds, Clones will have followed a nearly identical pattern to Menace, as both movies' first Friday equaled about 29% of the opening weekend. If it continues to follow Menace's trend, Clones will meet its goal of being more of a marathon runner than a sprinter, especially with Memorial Day weekend imminent. Menace slowed just 21% on the same frame to $51,399,863, and it added $15,504,435 on the Monday holiday itself for a four-day weekend tally of $66,904,298 that exceeded its opening by 3%.

Clones actually scored higher marks in exit polls of moviegoers than The Phantom Menace did, according to Myerson. CinemaScore, which polls opening night audiences, corroborates this as Clones received an overall A- grade and was higher in all categories except males under the age of 21, which it matched. For those thinking that Star Wars only appeals to fan boys, males under the age of 25 rated Clones just 5% better on average than their female counterparts, Myerson said. Overall, 44% of the PG-rated adventure's audiences were families. The remaining 56% skewed male (58%) and over the age of 25 (65%).

On Thursday and Friday, Clones stormed 74 territories around the world, mostly in Europe, Asia, the Middle East and Africa, and is estimated by Fox to have raked in $66.7 million through Sunday. If that number holds, it would go down as the biggest international weekend ever, topping the $62.3 million that Harry Potter conjured in early December of last year.

As ubiquitous as Clones is, it still has a number of major markets to invade, including Latin America, India, South Korea and
  18. jedi-jeff Jedi Master

star 3
    I have recently read that many movie theater chains are in bankruptcy. If these companies can't make a profit with all the money currently being generated at the box office, then their curent business plans are a joke.
  19. insomniac Jedi Padawan

Jedi-Jeff....wanna know why some of these movie companies are having money problems...it's from crap like this:

From the Box Office Mojo article:

"The real casualties of all this, if business doesn't pick up considerably over the weekend, could be the exhibitors. Fox and Lucasfilm required theaters to keep Attack of the Clones for a minimum of four weeks, and they demanded 70% of the box office for the first three weeks, 60% the next two and 50% the two weeks after that. Many exhibitors balked at these terms, and in Quebec many refused them, resulting in Star Wars playing at virtually none of the province's 363 independent screens."

20. Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I think it's safe to say that if AotC opened on Friday its Friday gross would have increased by at least $7 million, mainly from midnight showings, and it would have had a bigger opening weekend than Harry Potter--while playing at far less theaters.

Spider-Man's performance is just amazing.
  21. kawkaw Jedi Knight

star 2
    That's what I'm saying...SPIDER-MAN'S PERFORMANCE IS TRULY AMAZING. I totally agree. Especially making 46m, while AOTC is just released and new in theaters, with Spidey trailing on its 3rd week...."3RD WEEK!!!" I thought AOTC would almost completely sink Spidey's numbers, d@mn, Spider-Man is kicking all kinds of @ss, while breaking many records along the way.
  22. jjay Jedi Knight

star 1

Spidey is actually doing what has never been done...making a ton of money in the face and presence of a major competitor on its first week.

Something truly AMAZING.

AOTC is making its history, but Spidey is reinventing history of the box offices.

truly amazing

:)
  23. kawkaw Jedi Knight

star 2
    Next stop...fasted movie to gross $300 million, held by TPM which did it in 28 days. Spidey should reach that record in 24 days...again, I must say...DAMN!!!
  24. Darth_Kyber Jedi Master

star 1
    to me the most important thing is the per screen average- here my theory27254

1. Attack of the Clones opened in 3161 theatres with a per screen average of $27,254
    2. Compared to Spiderman- opened in 3,615 theatres with a per screen average of $10,901.
    3. With about 500 more theatres Spiderman was not as "packed" as AOTC. I think that if AOTC opened in 3600 theatres it would have matched Spidermans opening. AOTC needed the extra day to make up for the fewer theatres. There were so many people who came to see AOTC and were forced to see Spiderman because all the showings were sold out. This explains the great numbers for Spidey this weekend.
    ANY THOUGHTS? SORRY IF THIS IS REDUNDENT OR DOESNT MAKE SENSE.
    Darth_Kyber
  25. DarthTomas Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Interesting number Kyber. Are you sure about those per screen averages? If so, looks like AOTC actually SMOKED Spidey :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.