*OFFICIAL* AotC at the Box Office Thread

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by w_sasso_mdtv, May 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueTrooper Jedi Knight

star 3
    A theater obviously can't lie about ticket sales because that would be cheating the studios and it could result in lawsuits. My grandfather owned a movie theater and every week a studio representative would come down to collect 55% of the gross of their film. They would also have a studio guy at the theater who kept track of ticket sales on a daily basis.

If anyone really thinks there is a conspiracy to inflate actual grosses, then call every theater in the world and find out what the movie actually made.
  2. MatthewZ Force Ghost

star 4
    Who cares about domestic grosses, worldwide grosses are the real figures. You have to look at the whole picture.
    ------------------------------------------------------

I'm a pig-headed American. I only really care about domestic grosses.
  3. Darth_Meul Jedi Master

star 3
    Who cares about domestic grosses, worldwide grosses are the real figures. You have to look at the whole picture.

Isn't it so that exchange rates take a roll in the overall worldwide grosses? I mean, at the moment the dollar is historically low against the euro, so any revenue in Europe will be really big expressed in dollars. However, if the dollar would have been higher than the euro (rating 1.25 for instance), that same revenue would be a lot less in dollars I think. I don't know, I'm not an economist, but I think it plays a role in the overall box-office. If anyone's qualified, he should find out what the worldwide box office of TPM would have been at the current exchange rates (dollar/pound, dollar/euro, dollar/yen, etcetera). Probably undoable - that's why I think individual domestic grosses are more telling (be it US, UK, or other countries). It needs complex adjusting otherwise, imo.
  4. The Flying Dutchman Jedi Master

star 4
    Infact if you consider inflation then the OT is the highest grossing triology... with over $3.000.000.000 WW

Infact if you consider all income including games, dvd's, toys, SW rules all.
  5. LottDodd Force Ghost

star 4
    Except the Bible...

Those Religious Guys really know how to make money.
  6. OB1Anakin Jedi Knight

star 1
    It's not just inflation either...look at the global and domestic market. Back in the 70-80's you didn't have a 18-plex in every town in America. Not only was the tix price a lot lower, you only had probably 1 or 2 theaters in your vicinity that had one screen and would play 3-4 times a day. Now you can have 10-15 theaters within 30 miles of you (if your near any metro or suburb...sorry you rural folks) each with 10-20 screen showing the same movie on multiple screens 5-10 times a day. Plus the global market was no where near what it is today. Movie back then we hard pressed to be successful overseas. Now we have instantaneous world-wide releases.

Looking at all this...it's downright amazing that a movie that came out in 1977 is still up there at the top. That makes what it did even more mind boggling!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.