main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL* AotC at the Box Office Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by w_sasso_mdtv, May 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TreeCave

TreeCave Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    Woohoo, sounds very good!

And by the way, I was taught when I worked in film that it's the per screen average that indicates a film's "legs" and that is the best way to estimate what it will do in the long run. It sounds like AOTC is doing great. Lucas' goal is not to break records (if it was, he'd release it on Fridays in 10,000 theaters, LOL). He wants it to play as long as possible in quality theaters so fans can see it over and over. Looks like the prognosis is good.

2. vansmak

vansmak Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 1999
    The spider-man per screen average is wrong, it was around $31,000....

But, if AOTC opened on a friday, in the same amount of screens as Spidey it would have been a very close competition.

The result of AOTC not being on that many screens, is people having trouble finding a non-sold out show, meaning they'll go monday, tuesday, next weekend, and that's why the dropoff may not be as big as spidey.

Spidey is just an amazing phenomenon...That doesn't mean AOTC won't beat it, but i'm sure Sony's internal thoughts were maybe 225-250 million, and i don't mean by last friday, i mean forever.

The problem with the per screen average, is it's not per screen average, it's per theater average, and if a theater shows the movie once, or 5 times, it's still considered one theater...

-smak-

3. darthdiggler75

darthdiggler75 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 2000
    WELL WILD......
    I DOUBT ITS THE SAME AS CANADA CUZ LAST I CHECKED IT'S NO WHERE NEAR DECEMBER DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. kawkaw

kawkaw Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 7, 2002
    The thing is, I totally expected the success of Star Wars:AOTC. But Spider-Man's success at the Box Office, breaking records here and there, was just something no one, not even MARVEL or SONY could have predicted. The guys at SONY said they would have been happy with a 60 to 70 million Box Office take over the 3 day weekend. I bet it blew their socks off...when he locked in a whopping $114.8.

Sorry, but I just cannot get over this at all.

5. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Well Spiderman's marketing was crazy, for a character already very popular in American culture.

6. BLKNIGHT18

BLKNIGHT18 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 12, 2001
    yeah, spidey kicked serious a$$. And it still is, great legs over this past weekend. Spidey could come close to catching TPM. It is going to make it to 400mil easy. Next weekend, memorial day, Star wars will probably do 90 friday-monday, and spiderman will do another 40.

7. jjay

jjay Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 1999
    Slave2,
    Already popular in the American public?? Spidey???

Man, you are grasping for excuses that makes you look idiotic.

Spidey is popular, yes, but as a movie superhero franchise, it better be good or it will crash like X-men and all those Batman 3, 4 movies. And Blade 2?

SW has a popularity far and beyond any and all Marvel characters combined.

So for Spidey to do so well, it is because of a great movie, cast, story, special effects, etc.

Take it for what it is. A good movie killing the box offices and will be talked about for a decade.

SW will make tons of money, but it is NO Spiderman!

It won't be a Harry Potter either!

8. jedibri

jedibri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2000
    Well it's done $116 and some change in 4 day's so far.

And the movie rock's!!!!!!!!!! :D

9. admiral jimmy

admiral jimmy Jedi Master star 4

Nov 14, 1999
    I just calculated SPiderman had an average of approx. 15200$ per print
    AOTC 14400$ per print
    but if you consider the midnight boost (7 million $ approx.) AOTC surpasses Spiderman.

Nevertheless . "We" will win the game :D

10. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Like it or not, Attack of the Clones is part of an inevitable trend toward the erosion of the overall popularity of the Star Wars saga.

In real dollars, and in terms of actual admissions, Star Wars (ANH) is still the second most successful movie ever, behind only Gone With the Wind. ANH sold 50 million more tickets than Titanic, made much more money too, adjusted for inflation.

Obviously, no Star Wars movie has come even close to the achievement of the first film, but few of us would have expected the slide in interest since then. In real dollars, and in terms of tickets sold, each successive Star Wars movie has done worse than the last:

Star Wars: 178 million admissions, $1 billion U.S. adjusted
    Empire Strikes Back: 98 million admissions, $574 million U.S. adjusted
    Return of the Jedi: 94 million admissions, $550 million U.S. adjusted
    Phantom Menace: 85 million admissions, $496 million U.S. adjusted

My prediction for AOTC is that it will continue the trend and even hasten the decline of the series:

70-75 million admissions, $350-$375 million U.S.

Obviously, the Star Wars movies continue to be huge hits, but AOTC is the first Star Wars movie that will be overtaken in its domestic gross by a movie released in the same year. Spider-Man is now all but guarananteed to make at least $400 million U.S.

With Attack of the Clones, Star Wars loses its mystique at the box office and finally joins the ranks of run-of-the-mill summer blockbusters.

11. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    "Lost a favorite franchise, Jabbadabbado has. How embarrasing."

12. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    How much competition at the box office was there 20 years ago? How much is there today? There's no doubt that these movies aren't making as much money as their predecessors, but one also can't lose sight of the fact that today there's so much more entertainment content available than 20 years ago:

-More big budget summer popcorn movies
    -Photorealistic computer/video games
    -More movies period
    -More television channels
    -The internet

You really can't compare the marketplace 20 years ago to the marketplace of today.

13. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Jabbadabbado whats your problem? Two Towers and Return of the King will most likely make less than Fellowship of the Ring, and the Harry Potter sequels will too, does it mean the same for those? Almost all sequels make less than the previous films no matter how good they are. Its a tribute to Star Wars that AOTC being the 5th movie of the series can still open with 116 Mil after 4 days.

14. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    I'm guessing that those figures for the OT include re-releases?

As for AotC's final numbers, we'll just have to wait and see. What we have to go on so far is that it opened bigger than TPM and has been better received than TPM.

15. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    Some people look at anything as a disappointment. I figured AotC would do less than TPM...but looking at its opening weekend numbers, I think it will do just as well and maybe even better.

As for Spider-man, so what? I don't know if Star Wars can beat it, but I think it will be comparable. Let's see how well Spider-man 5 does before we talk about Star Wars as "just another faded movie franchise".

16. Knightstalker-

Knightstalker- Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 2001
    Here, here Vlad...it's absurd to even sugest that the opening weekend was a disapointment. AOTC is outdoing TPM, and it's playing on a lot less screens that Spider-man. It would be a different story if AOTC opened on a Friday, on the same amount of screens as Spider-man, with no competition like Spider-man had.

17. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    >>>Already popular in the American public?? Spidey???

Man, you are grasping for excuses that makes you look idiotic.<<<

Haha...are you saying Spider-man ISN'T popular in America? Sorry to tell you, but Spider-man is an icon. That his movie would be a success was practically guaranteed.

However--113 dollars on opening weekend? GEEZ! That's amazing. More than anyone could have ever imagined. And it's still doing great business, even with Star Wars making hundreds of millions of dollars--even more amazing. The fact that it's taking in so much money so quickly boggles the mind.

Personally I didn't think Spider-man was that hot...kinda lame in parts, and the action was cartooney. But it's still better than most of the other Hollywood garbage that comes out. You should all be applauding the fact that GOOD genre films like Star Wars and Spider-man are making tons of money. Rather than using one movie as an excuse to tear down the other, I see this as a good sign for the future of movies.

18. SWEET_JEEBUS

SWEET_JEEBUS Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2002
    Lot of people forget, that a part of Spiderman's success is that it came out nearly 2 weeks BEFORE AOTC. It had practically 2 weeks where it had no worthy competition.

Yet Star Wars opened on less screens and has to go up against a movie that has a $200 million head start.

So, it's safe to say the odds are stacked against Star Wars.

I just hope AOTC becomes the #1 movie in the box office this year.

19. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    SW just passed Spider-Man on the IMDB 250 films list.

<< User Rating: 8.3/10 (11199 votes)  top 250: #91 >>

Spider-Man has a 8.0 rating and is in the 99 spot.

20. vansmak

vansmak Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 1999
    First, with all the first trilogy re-releases it's hard to tell what the adjusted gross for the original releases of Star Wars etc.. It's been re-released at least 3 times, including the big one in 1997.

It's stupid to have these adjusted figures in my opinion. I think life may be a bit different now than in 1939...

All you can do is compare movies now to other movies now, compare movies in 1977 to other movies around 1977...

And FYI, except for the Star Wars movies the biggest sequel of all time is Toy Story II at #22 of all time.

I am not big into boxoffice races, would you rather beat Spiderman 205 million to 200 million or lose 405 million to 400 million?

I know which i'd pick.

-smak-

21. jedibri

jedibri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2000
    Well hows this? With no movie opening this weekend (a holiday 3 day weekend) AOTC will improve it's $$$ at the box office.
    AOTC could very easly climb over $200 million. And for it to do that on far fewer screens is nothing short of amazing!

22. Knightstalker-

Knightstalker- Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 2001
    That's because AOTC is a superior movie to Spider-man in every way. Of course thats just my opinion.

23. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    According to Yahoo! the following movies are coming out this week:
    ? Enough
    ? Insomnia
    ? Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron

Granted, none of them are AOTC or Spider-Man caliber.

24. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    I doubt any of those movies will have a big impact on AOTC's box office intake.

25. Darth Euro

Darth Euro Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    The biggest threat to dethrone AOTC is probably "The Sum of All Fears", opening May 31st.

"Undercover Brother" (also May 31st) might be a surprise smash as well - I personally think it look absolutely hilarious. :)

But it all depends on AOTC's legs...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.