main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL* AotC DVD Discussion and Reaction Thread [v2.0]

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by RidingMyCarousel, Nov 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Due to the fact that Attack of the Clones will be released on DVD and VHS in parts of the world today (Nov. 11th), a new thread is in store for the new reactions and discussions to the DVD.

Feel free to post your reactions, feelings, etc about the DVD release. Talk about the added features, the menus, the music quality, etc. -- if it has to do with the DVD, it goes here.

And meanwhile, us American's will be waiting until tomorrow for the DVD ;)

-- Just for reference, here is the Original DVD Discussion Thread :) --

Please note that this thread is NOT for storyline discussion -- the rest of the board is for that. Thanks :)

2. darkOmegazer0

darkOmegazer0 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    First to post. Don't have dvd yet but I will soon.

3. Sabe126

Sabe126 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Just got it! Simply Superb!!!!

Sabe126

4. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    First!

No seriously, I found the entire set of extras, though very good, a little bit of a let down as most of them have been on starwars.com previously.

UKS

EDIT: Third! I do hope we aren't bringing AICN style posts over here.. I'd rather not hear about Cameron Diaz's personal, sexual choices and Hulk Hogan's Newest film appearances.

5. darkOmegazer0

Aug 18, 2002
    How's that Kamino menu?

6. Tukafo

Tukafo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    Kamino menu? Well it's OB1 landing for the opening shot, when you click on Play Movie the beast comes out of the water.
    The language selection menu features OB1 fighting Jango in a new animation/camera angle
    and the scene selection screens simply feature those hallways in the clone factory

7. darkOmegazer0

Aug 18, 2002
    Cool, what about the music?

8. Tukafo

Jan 18, 2002
    actually I can't remember what music played. Come to think of it it might well be the same music for all three menues but I'm probably wrong. I just didn't pay any attention.

I love the scene selection on Geonosis as it takes place on the conveyor belt so it makes you sea sick after a while

9. JEDI_WINDU_JNR

JEDI_WINDU_JNR Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2002
    hey i saw the aotc R4 dvd in teh shops and the running time says approx 136 mins and exact time is 136:41.
    why is this ?
    isnt the movie supposed to be approx 142 mins ???

is the R4 version missing 5 mins ??

10. Darth_Punk

Darth_Punk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Is it just me or do the deleted scenes look a bit rushed. I mean the movie looks great but the effects in the deleted scenes look a bit dodgy. Especially when Obi wan and Mace are on the ramp with the Jedi Starfighter, they really look super inposed onto the background rather than looking like they are actually in it.

11. DarthFALCO

DarthFALCO Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2002
    [off topic][vhs info]

OK, I was just posting this in the original thread while it was open but it was locked when I went to post it so please feel free to skip it if you like.

While waiting for my Widescreen DVD copy for my Birthday this Saturday my wife and I bought the AOTC (Pan & Scan) PAL VHS for our son on his 4th Birthday today.

Just in case there are some people reading who will also be buying the VHS along with the DVD we thought we'd give you some info on it. We live in Australia but the content on the video should be the same as mostly everywhere else.

• The movie is rated PG here and not M (Mature content) which I think was previously stated.

• The length is listed as 137 mins but I remember it was supposed to be 143 mins?

• The Connections featurette with C-3PO and R2-D2 is only about 5 mins long and is at the beginning of the video (it doesn't include everything that we watched on TV here before AOTC was released.)

• The six deleted scenes are:
      - Droid Analysis Room
      - Obi-wan and Mace Hanger
      - Padme's Parents House (dinner scene)
      - Padme's Bedroom
      - Dooku Interrogates Padme
      - Padme and Anakin on trial

• The deleted scenes are in widescreen following the movie (which is in full screen!)

Here's a scan of the back cover

[image=http://users.tpg.com.au/wadesweb/oz-aotc-video-back003.jpg]

[/vhs info][/off topic]

I hope this hasn't been too boring for all of us DVD lovers. After seeing this today in VHS P&S I can't wait for the pristine widescreen DVD. :)

12. Tukafo

Jan 18, 2002
    every film runs in the cinema with a speed of 25 frames per second. On PAL television however films run with a speed of 24 frames per second. That's the reason why the film is a bit shorter on PAL.
    But it's of course unnoticable

13. JEDI_WINDU_JNR

May 19, 2002
    is the australian VHS version rated PG ???
    beacuse the R4 dvd version is M15+

14. sideshowtob

sideshowtob Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 28, 2000
    Just back from HMV, about to crack open a couple of cold Tennents lager, and then sit back and enjoy!

If anyone is interested, HMV had a special saga edition which came bundled with TPM, hadn?t heard that they were doing this in the UK. Only £35.

sideshowtob

15. Darth_Punk

Mar 12, 2002
    Yes i don't understand why it is M15 in Australia, as it was PG at the Cinema. Just checked my copy and its true. I also thought George Lucas would not release anything above PG. Does that mean that there is a possibility that EP3 could be a 15 certificate?

16. JEDI_WINDU_JNR

May 19, 2002
    yeh ep3 could be M15.
    i dont know why the dvd is m15.
    possible changes on R4 ??

17. wazzy

wazzy Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2001
    I still havent heard if the Australian or R4 DVD is uncut - the head butt, is it there??

18. Darth_Punk

Mar 12, 2002
    Yes the head butt is in. They removed it from the Uk release to bring the rating down, but in Australia it was in and it was a PG at the cinema. I cannot work out why it is M15+ and why George Lucas has allowed it to stay that and not cut it.

19. DarthFALCO

May 2, 2002
    The head butt is on the above Australian VHS version and it is rated PG as you can see on the scan.

I'd say that there must be something in the extras on the R4 DVD to give it the M rating. :)

20. JEDI_WINDU_JNR

May 19, 2002
    to australians
    ,when you buy the dvd from kmart etc,do you get a free gift ???
    i heard somewhere it is like a different cover???
    my questions are
    do you still get the original cover etc ??
    and is this free gift like a different box cover or just slip ??

21. Tukafo

Jan 18, 2002
    I have the UK DVD and while the headbutt is indeed cut they show in one of the documantaries how they filmed the headbutt. So in a way it's included in the UK version

22. DarthFALCO

May 2, 2002
    JEDI_WINDU_JNR

The offer at K-Mart here in Australia is for the DVD with a special cardboard slip cover over top of the normal DVD case. Man it looks good though. I guess that's why I'll be gettin' it from them myself. [face_mischief]

23. bw_dave

bw_dave Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 19, 2001
    Yep, I'll be buying it from K-Mart too, so I can get the limited edition slip case (just like TPM dvd). Also there is going to be a 15% off store-wide sale at the end of the week, so that is perfect timing :)

Till then I've got my rented blockbuster copy here with me being watched and re-watched. I've got a monthly membership that means I can get out whatever I want and keep it for as long as I want.

I can't understand why our R4 set is rated M15+ ... even disc two is rated M. What's different since the theatrical release that requires a bump up in ratings?!?

So far I've been very happy with the extras. The new documentaries are very comprehensive, not like the semi-promotional stuff on most dvds these days (spiderman, anyone?)

Edit: I was pleased to see that the holonet news site itself was actually included on the dvd (not just a link). There was a bit of debate about this in the old official dvd thread.

24. Lightivity

Lightivity Jedi Youngling

Aug 29, 2002
    Tufako:

In cinemas the film movement is divided into 24 photographic frames per second (although, the projected flicker rate - when you take the black inserts into consideration - is 48 hz).

PAL is divided into 25 electronic video frames per second, and is projected with a flicker rate of 50 hz (through interlacing).

25. bw_dave

bw_dave Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 19, 2001
    Umm, yes ... but how does that change what tukafo said? The 4% PAL speedup is due to the difference in framerates, which basically for all practical purposes is 24fps vs 25fps.

What is the point you are trying to make by contradicting him, might I ask?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.