main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***Official*** AOTC DVD Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by DarthSapient, May 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I will wait for november.

The November edition of LOTR will have the R rated longer cut of the film.

The film will be spread across 2 discs.

As announced by New Line themselves:

Three behind-the-scenes featurettes:
    -"Welcome to Middle-earth" (an in-store special shown by Houghton Mifflin).
    -"The Quest for the Ring" (30-minute special originally shown on the FOX Network).
    -"A Passage to Middle-earth" (60-minute special originally shown on the SCI-FI Channel).
    * 15 featurettes originally created for lordoftherings.net. These take you deep inside Middle Earth and include interviews with cast members Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen, Viggo Mortensen, Liv Tyler as well as members of the crew. Each one originally was shown as a streaming video or a quicktime file, so now you have them in the form of high-quality video.
    * Exclusive 10-minute behind-the-scenes preview of the next The Lord of the Rings theatrical release, The Two Towers.
    * Enya's "May It Be" music video.
    * An inside look at the Special Extended DVD Edition of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring that streets on November 12, 2002.
    * Preview of Electronic Arts' video game, The Two Towers.
    * 3D Animated Menus (see below).
    * DVD ROM Features that lead you to exclusive online content.

For you tech heads, you'll have an anamorphic 2.35:1 transfer on the widescreen edition and Dolby Digital EX audio on both versions (sorry DTS fans).

Releasing November 12, the 4-disc Special Extended Edition contains an additional 30 minutes of the film not seen in the theatrical version.

Some of the additional scenes include:
    * More time with the Hobbits including a musical number. Extra scene further underscores the Hobbits sense of isolation and the growing realization that they can't ignore the outside world for much longer.
    * Frodo and Sam POV watching the elves going to the "Undying Land".
    * When the Hobbits are sleeping, Frodo is awakened by Aragorn's signing of an elvish tune that foreshadow's his relationship with Arwen.
    * More at Rivendell with Aragorn.
    * More on the departure of the Fellowship from Rivendel.
    * More in the Mines before the cave troll fight.
    * Gifting scene ... as the Fellowship leaves, Galadriel gives them each a personalized gift that will end up being critical to their future. Legolas gets a special bow, Sam gets some elvin rope that comes in handy when he faces a giant spider in The Two Towers, and a touching moment between Gimli and Galadriel.

The extended edition will likely receive an "R"-rating , not due to excessive gore but about 30 seconds of extra violence in the Battle of Amon Hen.

Two discs contain the film and the remaining two discs add up to more than six hours of additional content. Among the content will be Peter Jackson's commentary. More details to come on the exact nature of the extras content as New Line is still finalizing the details. Also, as far as we know the four-disc set only includes the "Extended Cut". That means if you want both the theatrical version and the extended, you'll need to buy both DVDs.

Finally, there is an awesome Collector's DVD Gift Set also streeting on November 12 that looks amazing. It is a huge, gorgeous box designed by the legendary Alan Lee. The gift set contains the 4-disc version, two bookend statuettes by sculptor Sideshow Weta, the National Geographic "Beyond The Movie" DVD, and several collectible Decipher game cards.

2. Marty_McFly

Marty_McFly Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2002
    I heard October 26th, and as of yet, I only know of the Padme family scene. I am however, hoping for an extended battle sequence.

Maybe even some more of the Jango/OB1 rain fight. Who knows; well, appart from George Lucas and Rick McCallum

3. Turkilma

Turkilma Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2001
    I´m really looking forward to the AOTC DVD !!!

It would be great if there would be an AOTC 3 DVD set coming out in November including the theatrical cut of AOTC AND the "Director´s Cut" (The "Almost Famous" DVD for instance contains both versions, Cameron Crowes longer "Untitled" version and the cut people have seen in the theater) + web documentaries a "Beginning" like documentary, several audio commentaries (George Lucas only, The Cast, ILM; "Fight Club" and "Seven" commentaries are great examples how it should be done), Trailers, TV-Spots and of course Deleted Scenes.

I cannot recall ALL cut scenes but from those I kept in mind I think these probably should be included in the final cut:

-Senate Scene with Amidala
    -the entire Jedi Archives scene (the lost jedi, Dooku)
    -Mace and Obi Wan conversation before Kenobi leaves Coruscant
    -longer Obi Wan - Jango fight (Obi Wan blocking Jango´s short range blasters as seen in the Jango commercials)
    -conversation: Padme - Dooku
    -The Trial (some people complain about the "Love Pledge" scene being unbelievable (by the way, I like it very much) because Anakin and Padme got captured just seconds before that scene, everything happens too fast. The scenes before the Arena battle with Dooku should definately get re-inserted because there would be a significant reason behind the execution (in a Star Wars kinda way of course) and a greater sense of danger would be the result of this change IMO)
    -more Arena Battle (Jango - Mace)
    -more lightsaber action (Dooku with 2 sabers against Yoda)

these are all I can think of at the moment

Oh, two scenes which just should be watchable in the seperated deleted scenes section

-Padme & Beru talking (The Tatooine sequences are just perfect, this scene would be included between Cliegg´s "We have a lot to talk about" and Beru preparing the blue milk and Cliegg´s "It was just before ..." it would completely destroy the suspense, the music is just WOW !!!)
    -longer Tusken slaughter scene (it works perfect in the movie as it is now but I´d like to see the entire sequence on it´s own)
    -Obi Wan fighting the creature after landing on Geonosis (don´t know how long it takes, could work within the movie, not sure)

Not sure about

-Padme´s family (would be interesting to know more about Padme)

and finally

I want an AOTC score during the "Anakin & Padme approaching Geonosis" & the "Arena battle" !!! :_|

4. Turkilma

Turkilma Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2001
  5. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Well, I must admit that the LOTR special edition sounds very tantalizing. My biggest complaint with that film was too much action and not enough narrative, so it sounds like that extra 30 minutes may be just what I'm looking for. Still, a four DVD release could potentially be pricey, so while I'd love to get both AOTC and LOTR, I'm afraid Star Wars will have to win out if I can't afford both.

I was pleased with the way Lucas handled the TPM DVD, so if AOTC is given similiar treatment, I'll be happy.

As for the people who complain about noticable edge enhancement on the TPM DVD, I've heard that is only noticable if you have your TV set wrong.

6. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
  7. deltau922

deltau922 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 1999
    I really hope the LOTR DVD has more walking and more chasing. Two-and-a-half hours of walking and chasing just wasn't enough for me.

8. augusto

augusto Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    Isn't there a LOTR forum where you guys can discuss this ?

Anyways, what I'm hoping for on the AotC DVD is a bit more background info on all the outstanding mysteries if possible.

For example : A little picture and bio of Sypho-Dyas. Don't solve the mystery but at least show us who he was.

More background info on Count Dooku, etc.

I know everybody is crazy for the deleted scenes, but I'm looking forward to just more background info related to the characters and the story.

9. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    I'm looking forward to another behind the scenes doc like "The Beginning" on the TPM DVD. I really want to see how Natalie and Hayden got along offscreen.

10. entfirst

entfirst Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2002
    While I'm looking forward to a more fuller version of AOTC, I don't want the film to be spilit onto two discs. That is the reason I will be buying LOTR in August and not the extended cut. I would rather buy the widescreen video of the extended cut than the DVD and have to get up in the middle to switch discs. It ruins the whole experience. AOTC shouldn't be made into the four cut, unless the DVD world can come up with a third layer ;)

11. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    I heard that the release date is November 26, and some electronic stores are already letting people reserve copies. Apparently they made that dvd while they made the movie.

Only one scene I hope they put back in--the scene in which Padme is talking to Dooku after they are captured, right before their arena scene. I understand why they cut it-it only has things that have already been well established, and it would have slowed the story a bit, but anything with Christopher Lee in this movie is a positive. Even with the scene, there is not enough of him.

Also, I was wondering if someone could clarify this for me. A worker at a movie store told me this-and I dont believe him-but he said there is apparently an R rated version of AOTC and it will be on the dvd. Has anyone heard this?

12. deltau922

deltau922 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 1999
    They would have to add a TON of stuff to necessitate splitting it onto two discs, seeing as how they fit The Godfather and the JFK Director's Cut onto one disc apiece.

13. sith1137

sith1137 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2001
    i hope they dont do the bloopers like they did in TPM

14. obioneinchkenobi

obioneinchkenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2000
    Is there any word on whether Lucas will incorporate the scenes into the film or have them separate? I have to say, as much as I liked some of the deleted scenes for TPM, I think they would have been better if they were part of the film.

Maybe when all is said and done, Lucas will take all of the deleted scenes and new scenes, put them into the movies, and have one fantastic ultimate edition. A boy can only dream.

15. Katarn15

Katarn15 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 16, 2001
  16. User_Name

User_Name Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 31, 2002
    I recently popped the Matrix DVD in and one of the special features I really like in that set is the Music only track with the composer doing occasional commentary.

This would be great to see on ANY Star Wars DVD. GL has always said that these are intended to be essesntially silent films. The music is pretty much constant throughout the movies and it would be great to hear and see the movies without the dialog or sound effects detracting from the music.

And, as far as I know, John Williams has never done anything like this. Star Wars is, of course, his largest project so it wuld be great to hear his take on the score and especially how he trried to work backwards to have the music from the PT "evolve" into the music of the OT.

Thoughts?

17. User_Name

User_Name Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 31, 2002
    Up!

Man, stuff falls back to page 2 quickly these days.

18. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    I am one of the five people that will buy the special widescreen VHS. Ha! I'm waiting to for the final, ultimate boxed set with probably days of extra material and extended cuts. When the digitally remastered OT came out, I waited for the Special Editions and was happy to do so. I will wait again. I have time.

19. FOX2005

FOX2005 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    French Track PLZ this time
    Insert deleted scenes (ppl are going to buy it anyway)
    Audio commentary (like how hard is it to talk about your own film)
    Actor commentary (I know Sam and Ewan love the film, let's hear from the other actors too)
    And whatever other goodies they want to include.

20. Axl-Wan-Kenobi

Axl-Wan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2001
    Please,please,please put the expanded Mace/Jango fight on it.
    For those of you who remember the script that TFN had to pull at Lucas' request,it described a much longer light saber fight at the end between Dooku and the Jedi.Hopefully these scenes were shot and were cut just for time.

21. SlytherinHouse

SlytherinHouse Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2000

Why buy VHS when you can pay $4 more and own a superior version? Unless, of course, you don't have a DVD player, in which case, what the hell's wrong with you?

Sly

22. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    That $4 could be spent on something else. A bagel at a NYC deli or half a book...

Dammit, I'm getting the stupid VHS and I'll get it at a cheap price somewhere. Sam's Club or Cosco. I'll get it for half off or something. I'd like to have all 6 movies in both formats. For completeness. Yeah, that's the ticket.

23. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001
    Bane, you're seriously gonna wait that long? Sheesh, man. That's willpower [face_shocked]

I'm just gonna sell the DVDs (or probably give them away) when the boxed set comes out. I know it costs more, but oh well...

24. Darth-KrayzieBone

Darth-KrayzieBone Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2001
    Buying an inferior VHS tape to save $5 is ludicrous. Shame on the cheapskates. :p

25. Obi_Wan_01

Obi_Wan_01 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    Bane isn't it Costco?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.